Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

And the day was going so well...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the battery compartment wasn't compromised? That was lucky. If there is damage anywhere near the traction battery, I wouldn't keep it in the garage if I were you.

A reasonable precaution with any car, gas or electric, as a short in the 12V system is a fire risk. I'd be less concerned with the main traction battery - as we saw with the two highway impalements, the car is pretty good at letting you know if it's is damaged.

Also, I don't see how luck had anything to do with this. The traction battery sits in front of the rear axle. It'd have to be one hellova rear impact to intrude that far. Heck, even in the NHTSA side pole impact test where the battery comes all the way to the side edge of the car and was slammed right into the pole, it wasn't compromised at all. It's evidently a sturdy package.

I was rear-ended four years ago. Similar damage to my Hyundai Santa Fe. My neck was a little stiff at first but I only felt the full extend of he injury three days later. Apparently the adrenaline has settled by then. Now, four years later I am still in total disability with poor prognoses. I really hope you are OK and that you don't have to go through what I went through and still going through after my accident. I would still see your GP next week if I were you to see if there are any spasms or something of that nature. Symptoms only develop after a certain time. The earlier you see a doctor the better.

I was rear-ended four years ago. Similar damage to my Hyundai Santa Fe. My neck was a little stiff at first but I only felt the full extend of he injury three days later. Apparently the adrenaline has settled by then. Now, four years later I am still in total disability with poor prognoses. I really hope you are OK and that you don't have to go through what I went through and still going through after my accident. I would still see your GP next week if I were you to see if there are any spasms or something of that nature. Symptoms only develop after a certain time. The earlier you see a doctor the better.

Indeed, have had two friends now, that were rear-ended, and in both cases it did damage to their spine. Definitely make sure you see a doctor as soon as you can just to make sure you are fine!

WRT repair, you will likely find the least expensive resolution is to sell as is and replace with new. Regretfully, this requires a deep checkbook as the normal system of insurance companies handling these problems does not allow for this. I was able to sell my wife's side impact damaged S85 and replace it with new for less than repair and any reasonable diminished value. Getting reimbursed is a different matter.

Very glad to hear you are ok and I do hope there are no lingering issues. That kind of a hit can, at a minimum, make you good and sore.

Funny I asked for the absolutely highest possible liability limits and $100k is the highest possible. Although if I'm not mistaken the umbrella policy would cover it.

wow, that does not bring you far if you are liable for someone who cannot work anymore to support his family. We here in BC have a statuary limit if 200K but most people are insured for 2 or 3 million.

wow, that does not bring you far if you are liable for someone who cannot work anymore to support his family. We here in BC have a statuary limit if 200K but most people are insured for 2 or 3 million.

Here in Germany, the mandatory minimum for car insurance towards personal damages is 7.5 million (!) Euro, but often people have 10 or even up to 100 (!) million Euro (not as rare as one might think) as insurance sum. The mandatory minimum towards property damages over here is 1.12 million Euro.

It's odd how insurance works here in the he states. When I had my other crap cars the most I had for insurance was $100k now I have $500k minimum so $500/$500/$500 and same for under insured and uninsured. And my insurance agent thought I was insane to insure myself this high! Like complete overkill. Hello I'm driving a 5000lb tank around town. Above and beyond that if I did injure someone I want to make sure I can help them if I hurt them.

Funny I asked for the absolutely highest possible liability limits and $100k is the highest possible. Although if I'm not mistaken the umbrella policy would cover it.

I have 100/300/100 right now (have had that since I was running around in my Civic), and when I got the MS the insurance agent asked me if I felt like I should up my limits or if I was happy where I was at. So I had her quote me an umbrella policy (for 1Mil) and also what is would be to jump to 300/500/300 which I think is the next step... In any case, State Farm does allow higher than 100 for the limits, I think it is just that once you hit that level, for the cost benefit (especially if you are insuring ANYTHING else in your possession) you might as well just get an umbrella.

Just to note, I live in VA.

As far as the "mandatory minimums" that I saw others posting about, each state is different, but most of the time I have looked into it, it was something stupid low like 10/20/10 or 20/50/20... That is coming from someone who has had to get insurance in Ohio, North Carolina, and now Virginia... They don't impose very high limits on you.

Hey TheShadows,

The process is really just starting, since I was hit on a Friday evening. I was on I83 in York, PA. I intend to talk to the author of VisibleTesla as it was running during the trip - but I didn't see enough data points to discere anything yet... Here's a picture of the semi -- what you don't see is it leaking radiator fluid all over the ground - so it wasn't going anywhere.

2014-05-02 17.59.39.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The semi sure didn't.

True enough!

- - - Updated - - -

That should buff out...

LOL