Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Irresponsible thoughts of upgrading my Y to an S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in 2015 we took our first test drive in a Model S. After two blocks we both said "ok we're done here this is what we've been looking for a long, long time" Took delivery of a 90D in march of 2016. Now that car in nearing 250,000 miles. It is a keeper... Now we want to add another Tesla. We've driven 3's and Y's which are great cars but never will be a Model S. So we've been waiting for the current refresh to come along. Since it was revealed we've driven one several times but like all Tesla's they always "mature" for a couple years after introduction.

After patiently waiting we think now might be right time for us to make the move. This weekend we have a Model S to demo. Pretty hilarious, yesterday we're driving it along and it's very windy and rain pouring down.. We look at each other and say at the same time "We're having that same wonderful feeling we had in those first two blocks on our very first Model S test drive are we not"

Our original is still an amazing car and we are keeping it. But the latest refresh is at another level again.

Back in 2015 we took our first test drive in a Model S. After two blocks we both said "ok we're done here this is what we've been looking for a long, long time" Took delivery of a 90D in march of 2016. Now that car in nearing 250,000 miles. It is a keeper... Now we want to add another Tesla. We've driven 3's and Y's which are great cars but never will be a Model S. So we've been waiting for the current refresh to come along. Since it was revealed we've driven one several times but like all Tesla's they always "mature" for a couple years after introduction.

After patiently waiting we think now might be right time for us to make the move. This weekend we have a Model S to demo. Pretty hilarious, yesterday we're driving it along and it's very windy and rain pouring down.. We look at each other and say at the same time "We're having that same wonderful feeling we had in those first two blocks on our very first Model S test drive are we not"

Our original is still an amazing car and we are keeping it. But the latest refresh is at another level again.
Since you have a 2016, I hope you’re aware that you can now transfer your free supercharging to a new car if you take delivery before December 31. Obviously, it would strip it off of your old car.

Reactions: GSP
Since you have a 2016, I hope you’re aware that you can now transfer your free supercharging to a new car if you take delivery before December 31. Obviously, it would strip it off of your old car.
Oh yeah we are very aware. This time around it's a better offer for us. With this new car our percentage of supercharging will be higher than the 2016. In our case we would also like a 24 vin being were so close but the FUSC is worth taking a 23 vin to get it.

Our SA had to laugh when we walked in Friday morning. She said "I just knew I would be seeing you this morning. This the perfect deal for your situation".

Reactions: leecox and GSP
For the noise on the Y, I’ve done a few things for my wife’s car.

2022 Rear Parcel Shelf Retrofit
Extra weather stripping insulation kit

Those helped, but most extreme, Double layered sound deadening in the rear hatch area. Removed all the panels and spent a long time putting in the material.

It is much quieter now. Also the parcel shelf helps with the audio system. Much better stage effect now with the rear speaker sound getting to the front.
How did you go about the Rear Parcel Shelf Retrofit? Is Tesla offering this now? If you went aftermarket, which one did you use?

I want to do this on my '22 MY

Thanks,

George

How did you go about the Rear Parcel Shelf Retrofit? Is Tesla offering this now? If you went aftermarket, which one did you use?

I want to do this on my '22 MY

Thanks,

George
I ordered the parts from the other thread and installed them myself. I did it this time last year when the parts were easier to get. I’ve posted my expertise in that thread too.

I have a 2020 MY AWD and 2022 M3. I sat in a Model S at the showroom last week really wanting to like it. I like my MY so much more.

At 6' tall, the MS roofline was too low. I had to set the seat very low to get a good view from the windshield. The low seat isn't nearly as comfortable of a seating position as my MY.

The rear seat passengers don't have nearly as much real-world room. Yes, it's a bit wider and the legroom is similar on paper, but there is plenty of room to slide your feet under the MY front seats, but none on the MS.

The MY feels more open up front and is WAY easier to enter and exit. I really wanted to like the new MS, but nope, MY for me (even if they were the same price).

I have a 2020 MY AWD and 2022 M3. I sat in a Model S at the showroom last week really wanting to like it. I like my MY so much more.

At 6' tall, the MS roofline was too low. I had to set the seat very low to get a good view from the windshield. The low seat isn't nearly as comfortable of a seating position as my MY.

The rear seat passengers don't have nearly as much real-world room. Yes, it's a bit wider and the legroom is similar on paper, but there is plenty of room to slide your feet under the MY front seats, but none on the MS.

The MY feels more open up front and is WAY easier to enter and exit. I really wanted to like the new MS, but nope, MY for me (even if they were the same price).

I agree with all these points.

Luckily, I'm short, 5'6", so my MS driver's seating position allows for enough space under the seat for rear passengers to accommodate.

The Y has a TON more backseat room, at least it felt like that, and driver visibility is worlds better.

Coming from a M3P, I just wanted something more different in feel than the Y.

Otherwise, I feel like it is really hard to beat the Y in real life usefulness.

Now, I'm in an S Plaid and don't regret it but fully understand that it is definitely not the right choice for most people.