Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Irresponsible thoughts of upgrading my Y to an S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(sorry, noticed I posted this in the driving dynamics sub forum, not sure how to move)

Hi all,

I purchased a Model Y in January 23 and like it for the most part but with the recent price drop of the the model S I've been toying with trading in the Y and getting an S. My big complaint with the Y is road noise on local roads. On good roads it sounds terrific but on a lot of the local roads I travel on frequently it can rumble so much that it's like a loud thunder storm (at least to my ears, sound is pretty subjective). If I drive with the windows down everything is awesome, but this isn't always a great option in Wisconsin.

Anyway, in an act of stupidity I decided to test drive a model S and got to do an overnight demo. Of course I really liked the car (the wife liked it even more). I figure, though, that it's probably going set me back about 35K to move from the Y to the S, not including any increase of insurance. That's a lot to spend because of my delicate ears. I started looking at used prices (from 2021 and on) and it gets a little more reasonable -- is there anything tricky I should look out for when getting a used S? Is getting a used S a good idea at all? I'm assuming I should try to get a refreshed version or is that not really a big deal?

I am on my third Model S. 2015 P85D, 2017 90D and my current 2022 Plaid. While I loved my first two, the refreshed Model S is so much better. It has matured nicely. The interior is much nicer. There is active noise canceling in the cabin now. No real need for the Plaid, need vs want. I was reluctant to go from my free lifetime Supercharging and premium connectivity....but I am so glad I did, since the car is such a gem to drive. My Model S's have always had 19" wheels, and that is recommended. It is wider and, as a sedan, lower to get into that the Y, but having the IC Binnacle behind the yoke steering wheel adds to the driving pleasure. The Yoke isn't for everyone, but once I overcame 50 years of round steering wheel muscle memory, I LOVE the Yoke. Round wheels make me feel like a caveman. :)

I am on my third Model S. 2015 P85D, 2017 90D and my current 2022 Plaid. While I loved my first two, the refreshed Model S is so much better. It has matured nicely. The interior is much nicer. There is active noise canceling in the cabin now. No real need for the Plaid, need vs want. I was reluctant to go from my free lifetime Supercharging and premium connectivity....but I am so glad I did, since the car is such a gem to drive. My Model S's have always had 19" wheels, and that is recommended. It is wider and, as a sedan, lower to get into that the Y, but having the IC Binnacle behind the yoke steering wheel adds to the driving pleasure. The Yoke isn't for everyone, but once I overcame 50 years of round steering wheel muscle memory, I LOVE the Yoke. Round wheels make me feel like a caveman. :)
Yeah, the Binnacle is pretty cool. I thought I might be annoyed by how low the car is but I've driven sedans most of my life and it was fine. I'm morbidly curious about the Yoke -- I kind of like trying new things and the view of the binnacle seems really nice. Sigh -- the S is really a nice vehicle.

I'm also considering trading my '22 MYLR with ~13,000 miles for a '23 S (NO Plaid)
I originally had a '20 M3-SR+ but got the Y due to entry/exit issues.
Is the S much lower than the 3 or Y?
Does the air suspension allow you to keep the suspension elevated in your garage, and upon parking?

I'm also considering trading my '22 MYLR with ~13,000 miles for a '23 S (NO Plaid)
I originally had a '20 M3-SR+ but got the Y due to entry/exit issues.
Is the S much lower than the 3 or Y?
Does the air suspension allow you to keep the suspension elevated in your garage, and upon parking?
The S is lower - I have mine to automatically raise the suspension before I approach my driveway, and easy exit raises my seat up for an easier exit. The Y is easier to get in an out of, but you can't beat the ride and quieter cabin of an S. If the Y had air suspension, I'd be all over one. My S is running great, but I'd like to have more range, CCS capability, and faster charging at superchargers. Ideally, after running FSD for a few years, I'd like my next car to have that - missed out on the FSD transfer to a new car, but I'm in no hurry. The prices on used Plaid cars are nuts, but a used 21 or 22 long range is plenty fast.

Even with the noise cancellation, the S cabin is not Mercedes quiet. Make sure you can test drive one in your local market. Good luck!

I meant "Lower" as in the roof line, head height on entry, being an old guy. The car has adjustable Air Suspension, and I take it everywhere.
It is CCs compatible, and I recently drew 251kW at a V3 Supercharger. The Long range 405 "rated" miles is a game changer. Frankly, any more than that that would be overkill. I make many long road trips in summer and winter, it is amazing. The extra range save some money if you have good rates for home charging.

The S is lower - I have mine to automatically raise the suspension before I approach my driveway, and easy exit raises my seat up for an easier exit. The Y is easier to get in an out of, but you can't beat the ride and quieter cabin of an S. If the Y had air suspension, I'd be all over one. My S is running great, but I'd like to have more range, CCS capability, and faster charging at superchargers. Ideally, after running FSD for a few years, I'd like my next car to have that - missed out on the FSD transfer to a new car, but I'm in no hurry. The prices on used Plaid cars are nuts, but a used 21 or 22 long range is plenty fast.

Even with the noise cancellation, the S cabin is not Mercedes quiet. Make sure you can test drive one in your local market. Good luck!
Yeah, I wouldn't say the S was super quiet, but I don't need it to be perfect just a bit better than the Y. Man, I shouldn't have test drove the S, my Y seems so bumpy and noisy now.

I'm going to keep my eye out for a good used long range S. I'm assuming I want the refresh?

Yeah, I wouldn't say the S was super quiet, but I don't need it to be perfect just a bit better than the Y. Man, I shouldn't have test drove the S, my Y seems so bumpy and noisy now.

I'm going to keep my eye out for a good used long range S. I'm assuming I want the refresh?

yes, you absolutely want a refresh S, whether it's the plaid or LR model. The LR model is faster than a p100d on every metric other than 0-60mph...faster in the 1/8 and 1/4. The mid to high range power delivery at highway speeds is like comparing a Hyundai accent (p100d) to a Camaro (refresh LR)

Wife owns a 22 MYP and I have the 21 MSLR. The seats man… those seats in the MY are just so comfortable, but not heated and cooled. Also had the Steering Wheel retrofit done on Friday. It’s honestly so much better than the yoke. Like should have come that way better. If you’re really considering one, a 22 MS Plaid or LR is a great option. Just get one built after Feb 22. They worked out most of the kinks I’ve dealt with.

As for speed, the only thing that beats the LR for passing and at speed acceleration is the Plaid S. I dust any challengers on the highway. Though I probably wouldn’t since the run way from 50-60 to triple digits is REALLY short.

Comfort is nice, the S is quieter than the MY, suspension is softer, and the S given the width is a very planted capable car. It’s a proper GT cruiser built to drive. I’ve done 1800+ mile road trips in it no problem. Just get the 19” rims for the range, comfort, and speed.

Thanks everyone -- I for sure want the S, it's such a cool car, it's just hard to justify almost 40K difference at this point between the trade in value of the Y and the S. I've actually resorted to driving with the bioweapon defense mode on when driving on my crappy roads. It's crazy, but it actually works pretty well at killing the noise from the bumps. I only use it on the poor local roads so the battery drain is actually hardly noticeable. Still, not a great sign that I'm doing this . . .

Tentative plan is to try and wait a while and then maybe I'll be able to find a good used 22 model S out there somewhere.

I've actually resorted to driving with the bioweapon defense mode on when driving on my crappy roads.
It's crazy, but it actually works pretty well at killing the noise from the bumps.

You should try comparing driving with the back seats folden down, against driving with the back seats up.
This would allow you to check if the road noise increase or not. In my case I noticed a big difference of noise
above 60 mph when I am carrying bicycles flat in the back after folding the seats compared to having the back seats up.

If you noticed some difference, may be try then to even dumper the road noise coming from the back, by carry
for example a small mattress to cover the trunk floor to see if the trunk cover does not provide enough sound proofing.

Last edited:
I typed out a few different logical reasons to keep your Y and erased them before posting since I also recently upgraded from my 2019 Model 3 P to Model S with noise being one of my main complaints.

Small complaints anyways... road noise, wind noise, and kinda bumpy ride. Atlhough my summer tires were pretty worn.

i feel like you can't beat the functionality of crossovers and minivans so anything like a luxury sedan can only be justified with emotional reasons. Nor do you need the S for anything logical.

If price is the main factor, i agree with the others that said wait for a nice used 2022 with 19s.

Reactions: iloveplywood
You should try comparing driving with the back seats folden down, against driving with the back seats up.
This would allow you to check if the road noise increase or not. In my case I noticed a big difference of noise
above 60 mph when I am carrying bicycles flat in the back after folding the seats compared to having the back seats up.

If you noticed some difference, may be try then to even dumper the road noise coming from the back, by carry
for example a small mattress to cover the trunk floor to see if the trunk cover does not provide enough sound proofing.
Yeah, I thought about putting something back there to see if it dampens the noise. I did ride with the back seats down for a while when I first got it, but I forgot what difference that made so I'll try it again. Thanks for the suggestions!

I typed out a few different logical reasons to keep your Y and erased them before posting since I also recently upgraded from my 2019 Model 3 P to Model S with noise being one of my main complaints.

Small complaints anyways... road noise, wind noise, and kinda bumpy ride. Atlhough my summer tires were pretty worn.

i feel like you can't beat the functionality of crossovers and minivans so anything like a luxury sedan can only be justified with emotional reasons. Nor do you need the S for anything logical.

If price is the main factor, i agree with the others that said wait for a nice used 2022 with 19s.
Totally agree it's not a logical want at this point. I drove the Y tonight on some of the worst roads in the city and with the fan on high and listening to music I wasn't really bothered by the noise or ride quality at all. There are so many great things about the Y -- I just have to focus on the good things and appreciate what I have. At least that's what I'm going to try to do :) Anyway, I'm jealous of every one here with an S -- it's an amazing car.

Reactions: aerodyne and GSP
For the noise on the Y, I’ve done a few things for my wife’s car.

2022 Rear Parcel Shelf Retrofit
Extra weather stripping insulation kit

Those helped, but most extreme, Double layered sound deadening in the rear hatch area. Removed all the panels and spent a long time putting in the material.

It is much quieter now. Also the parcel shelf helps with the audio system. Much better stage effect now with the rear speaker sound getting to the front.