Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Model S (after refresh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, any refresh S is still going to be under B2B warranty for a year and a half at a minimum, and if you purchase through Tesla they give you an additional 1 year/10K miles on top of it. If you can swing a Plaid and are a performance junkie, get it. The LR's are quite slow in comparison, and the Performance falls off hard up top compared to the Plaid. My only word of caution is to either stay away from Carmax entirely, or go over the car as best you can before purchase. I had one transferred to my store and they rolled it out on bald tires, the plastic trim on the rear was hanging off the car, sliding cupholder cover didn't latch, and they didn't give two shits about any of it. Their inspection reports are bogus and they will do absolutely nothing to make a sale.

Well, any refresh S is still going to be under B2B warranty for a year and a half at a minimum, and if you purchase through Tesla they give you an additional 1 year/10K miles on top of it. If you can swing a Plaid and are a performance junkie, get it. The LR's are quite slow in comparison, and the Performance falls off hard up top compared to the Plaid. My only word of caution is to either stay away from Carmax entirely, or go over the car as best you can before purchase. I had one transferred to my store and they rolled it out on bald tires, the plastic trim on the rear was hanging off the car, sliding cupholder cover didn't latch, and they didn't give two shits about any of it. Their inspection reports are bogus and they will do absolutely nothing to make a sale.
Carmax brought in my car from California and the gearbox fluid needed changing, the tail light had condensation in it and the driver door had some small chips along the top of the glass.
Also there was a slow leak from a screw in the tire that I'm sure was there right after I got the car.
Not 100% sure as I had had a few screws in tires before from my shop floor.
They said they would fix the door glass and tail light but Tesla had to do the gearbox fluid change.
Recently Tesla opened a service center in Buffalo 5 minutes away from my work but I had to take the car 60 miles away to Rochester at the time.
They couldn't get the tail light so I bought one on ebay.
I took it to Tesla for the fluid change and they put in the tail light and replaced the tire that blew the patch I put in to fix the screw leak. Carmax had Safelite replace my door glass at the Carmax site but the incompetent tech damaged my door wiring harness so the power door opener button stopped working.
I had the Tesla mobile service guy come by and he replaced the harness for no charge at his discretion.
I gave him some subs and amps I wasn't using and he was pleased with that.
I used Carmax because I had a highly modified Jeep SRT for a trade in that I had bought stock from them in 2016.
Tesla doesn't want modified cars.
I took the car for a test drive and it drove well and the fit and finish were good.
So yes Carmax offered the Tesla as is without fixing the issues first but otherwise after these initial small issues the car hasn't given me any problems.
I've worked on cars all my life so I wasn't put off with these minor issues and Carmax paid me for the tail light and blown tire 1160.00
The 1100.00 transport fee to bring the car to Buffalo on a carrier that Carmax offers is non refundable if I didn't buy the car.
So in the end I haven't gotten any real issues and even extended my Tesla warranty to 2027 and 75k miles.
I canceled the Carmax Maxcare warranty since only Tesla can service their cars and used that 3k to pay for the extended Tesla warranty in an even trade.