Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh never ending problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dear community.

short introduction:
Used to drive a Chevrolet Volt (BEV + range extender) a few years until 3,5years ago.
I bought a Tesla model S75 2nd hand on the market.
I am a big Tesla fan, i even got my dad to buy a new MY SR, I'm constantly battling Tesla haters on social media and irl.

From the start my model S gave me quite a lot of head-aches and the following happened over those 3.5 Years.
1. Wishbone broke right rear (had to be towed, took months to fix, parts shortage)
2. Spring front left broke (had to be towed)
3. door handle malfunction (fixed on drive-way)
4. Cooling liquid leak (checkup in service center)
5. Cooling liquid circuit replacement (had to be towed 2 days after checkup in service center)
6. mechanical lock broken from the frunk
7.???

I also had my car get a "large check-up" after having some minor issue's a year ago and i do not drive like a maniac, i just like to occasionally do a little sprint at the stoplight.

i love my car but I'm starting to reach a point where i regret buying it simply because of reliability, i have been lucky that all these things happen at a time where i am going from or to work and not on vacation. i have lost thousands of euro's and lost day's in having to deal with these issue's.

I do not want to blame this all on Tesla but from my current experience a lot of parts in the car are well designed for efficiency and power but not for lasting a while.

Is my experience beyond normal or are people having the same issue's?
I am considering selling my car and buying or leasing a new model 3 or Y, what are your thoughts on this?

The reason of making this post is because i just had my car being unable to drive again in the parking lot of my work (Parking break malfunction).
I am still figuring this out and am going to lose another day and another thousands of euro's high likely... so yes this is number 7.

Thank you for your time, i am hoping i am just insanely unlucky or something...

Attachments

• IMG_20220112_113234.jpg
    IMG_20220112_113234.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220221_171043.jpg
    IMG_20220221_171043.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220225_143330~2.jpg
    IMG_20220225_143330~2.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230420_130921~2.jpg
    IMG_20230420_130921~2.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230502_160650__02.jpg
    IMG_20230502_160650__02.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240207_163604~2.jpg
    IMG_20240207_163604~2.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 8
that is a cool towing truck 😅

1. Wishbone broke right rear (had to be towed, took months to fix, parts shortage)
2. Spring front left broke (had to be towed)
3. door handle malfunction (fixed on drive-way)
4. Cooling liquid leak (checkup in service center)
5. Cooling liquid circuit replacement (had to be towed 2 days after checkup in service center)
6. mechanical lock broken from the frunk
1. i think this is somewhat common n some arms were re-designed to be stronger...
2. air or metal spring?
3. very common issue with S
4. where?
5. details? not clear what is it
6. i believe there was an updated part as well for this

From my biased DIY view, all these are minor n i'd replace em myself n save thousands but i feel the pain of owners who have to go to SvC...

Biggest issue with S75 could/will be LDU if u haven't addressed that yet, get coolant bypass done or ur looking at $5-6k in the future

that is a cool towing truck 😅

1. i think this is somewhat common n some arms were re-designed to be stronger...
2. air or metal spring?
3. very common issue with S
4. where?
5. details? not clear what is it
6. i believe there was an updated part as well for this

From my biased DIY view, all these are minor n i'd replace em myself n save thousands but i feel the pain of owners who have to go to SvC...

Biggest issue with S75 could/will be LDU if u haven't addressed that yet, get coolant bypass done or ur looking at $5-6k in the future
Yeah the towing trucks are luckily "free" cause my wife has a towing policy from her employer.
And it's impressive to see them tow, i had my car towed at my work parking area 2times now during ending of day shift, you should see everyone coming and spectating... its not a great feeling when you are standing there xD

1. yeah i red about this when waiting for the replacement part (covid shipping delays).
2. metal spring
3. ok
4. the cooling system for the heat pump (the 3way valve was defect and some piping also had to be replaced (expensive...).
5. see 4
6. yes correct.
7. i have a 1100€ quote now to replace the broken E-Brake's on both left and right side...

I do have to say that 120€/h labor cost is a tad excessive not ? i heard that it's higher than mercedes audi and bwm.

I'm going to look into this LDU as you said... if you have experience with this don't hesitate to link to a good thread.

For that item no.7 you have some options if you are DIY person. There is always that dilemma to have it done yourself or ask someone. These rear calipers can be serviced but Tesla is not willing to do this, they just remove and install new.
Just as posting this noticed your model S is 2017, so the instruction here are not suited.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unlimitedpower
For that item no.7 you have some options if you are DIY person. There is always that dilemma to have it done yourself or ask someone. These rear calipers can be serviced but Tesla is not willing to do this, they just remove and install new.
Just as posting this noticed your model S is 2017, so the instruction here are not suited.
Thanks for the reply, i currently have too few spare time to do these things myself and while i could do this, my field of expertise is not cars :p

It took me a while and still dont know 100% what mine is, but this is a refresh model 70 that's upgraded to a 75. the model year is 2017 but its built end 2016. it shows as 75 and with the refresh front, so ...
i think the refresh happened mid 2016, April-May maybe?.. nose-cone removed and 70 became 75, 85 became 90..
Oct 2016 is when AP2 refresh happened, not sure what else changed mechanically...

Reactions: Unlimitedpower