Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NJ springfield SC problem with a 2019 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i need a little feed back or just a place to rant forgive me.....on 2 days before thanksgiving my wife was going to work and got into our 2019 MS in our garage and tried to start it but it wouldn't turn on. She calls me over and i check and i am thinking maybe its the 12v so i drive her to work call tesla and they say the same thing its the 12v and i buy one from them and go back home and change it. After the new battery is in the car begins whirring and trying to start but it comes up with a bunch of failure codes stating not enough power to drive etc. I call tesla again and they say it has to be towed to a SC which sucks because the care turned off again and bricked you can't move it. After a tow truck comes and through the grace of the lord we put enough juice into the battery to start the screen to get tow mode on it went to the SC. A few days later we were told there is a failure in one of the coolant components and the car turned itself off completely and they had to order the part which would take a month.

A month later passes and we finally get an ok to pick up the car an hour before the SC closes it took me a good 46 min to get there in the traffic. i get the car i get my kids seat in the car and when i start it its in service mode still. One of the Tesla workers is outside looking for certain vehicles comes over and shows me how to get out of service mode and i set my destination to a Supercharger as the car does not have enough juice to get me home (since its been sitting in the same spot for a month). As i start driving and after my children are quiet i notice this noise while im driving it sounds like plastic moving around rubbing against each other (starts to get really annoying). Once at the supercharger i hook it up and it starts i get my kids and we run inside to use the restroom. we come back out side around 15 minutes later and when i try to open the driver door boom bounces back without letting me open. i thought it was an error so i locked the car and unlocked and same thing. I get in by my daughter opening the door for me and i send tesla a message about what has happened, and then i start getting a error message on the screens saying Autopilot not available so i get home thinking maybe i should just restart it. I restart it then there's updates so i update it i come back in the AM and it state "updated needed call for service". after a long time in trying to get in touch with tesla SC at springfield telling them everything that has happened since picking up the vehicle they say "bring it in for diagnostic".

When i get to them they are swamped and honestly it looked as though they were lost in life. i tell them what's going on with everything and they say, "the door handle probably just broke at that time, in terms of the update it looks like the install failed we will try to re install it now". i explained to them how is it that i brought you a car where that wasn't the problem and the handle worked perfectly until i pick it up from being here for a whole month, tell me how thats ok imagine it being your car you wouldn't like that.

After 2 rounds of trying to install the update it finally goes and installs it seems to work ok and i get the whole a manager has to approve the door handle part. there is no direct line to a manager and there is no manager on site. 4 days later a new update appears and the problem comes back i also realized it can't sense a car next to me or diagonal only in front i message again they give me a service date of January 11th. I call the tesla line that deals with autopilot they say to go to the service center because it can't even be pinged but it looks like the problem is that files are installing and causing these problems now.

I went there they couldn't do it and said it needs to be diagnosed in person. There is still no word on the door handle and that they don't have a manager and the closest thing to a manager isn't there. They also said when they checked the care before hand there were no problems with it after they were done installing the new components.

Needless to say its been a rough two months i have a model x that is also going in for service tomorrow and im just thinking to myself boy....i wish i kept my dodge charger >.< any advice on moving forward I've seen people have problems and always say thank god that hasn't happened to me etc but I've now joined the club.

That sounds exhausting - sorry you're dealing with the runaround. I've been going to the Springfield location and it's been a decent experience so far. I say decent because they've fixed most of my issues but have also caused issues (damaged my interior trim - service visit pending to replace, stains on seat). Keep detailed notes on the timeline of events since pickup and have your messages with Tesla Service handy. You've been hella patient already but give them a chance get this resolved at your next visit since they worked on the main repairs that lead to the later issues. I would also pick up the car the next day if they have it ready right before closing - gives you a chance to test everything out and go back while they are still open.

Best advice I have …. Go to Paramus. It’s also very busy but better organized.
Paramus was where I went a test drove the car and got the car in 2019…but went there during 2021 and it was a mess and I get it covid was still ruling everything. It’s about an hour away from where I live in Piscataway so maybe next time I’ll end up just having to go there…my wife was just in Springfield today dropping off our X and she said they are literally running around like chickens without a head..I just don’t understand how you can have no manager there for them. I thought it was funny that they got rid of the chairs in front of the service agent tables and made people sit in the waiting room now.

That sounds exhausting - sorry you're dealing with the runaround. I've been going to the Springfield location and it's been a decent experience so far. I say decent because they've fixed most of my issues but have also caused issues (damaged my interior trim - service visit pending to replace, stains on seat). Keep detailed notes on the timeline of events since pickup and have your messages with Tesla Service handy. You've been hella patient already but give them a chance get this resolved at your next visit since they worked on the main repairs that lead to the later issues. I would also pick up the car the next day if they have it ready right before closing - gives you a chance to test everything out and go back while they are still open.
It’s all I can do is wait and see what happens from there. I do have my service messages on hand at all times since they tried to tell me “no one said they changed the trunk wire harness” I showed them the messages and was like how are you gonna say that when it’s here documented, he had no answer at all. I’m personally just tired of dealing with them I wish I could find a 3rd party repair but the software part I’m at their will and mercy :(

Paramus was where I went a test drove the car and got the car in 2019…but went there during 2021 and it was a mess and I get it covid was still ruling everything. It’s about an hour away from where I live in Piscataway so maybe next time I’ll end up just having to go there…my wife was just in Springfield today dropping off our X and she said they are literally running around like chickens without a head..I just don’t understand how you can have no manager there for them. I thought it was funny that they got rid of the chairs in front of the service agent tables and made people sit in the waiting room now.

Well, if it was 2021 — Paramus had the roof collapse during a storm. Total chaos.

Both centers are full of good folks — and you can blame the state of NJ for the lack of service centers. They’ve artificially restricted the number of centers Tesla can operate in the state. It’s total nonsense but the dealer lobby’s money talks in the Soprano State.