Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - May not start code (Voltage Issue)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 AWD 90D Model S that is at the Tesla Service Center because it would not start. The high voltage batter fuse was replaced 6 months ago and car has been fine until a few days ago when I got a ‘car may not start’ error message on my mobile app and had to tow it to the service center. Car has been at the service center for 4 days and they are still working on it.

A new estimate/invoice says it looks to be a something with the voltage. The Technician performed physical testing of HVIL circuit in order to determine cause of issue.

The Technician continued resistance measurements and found resistance to ground is below specification in circuitry for the front half of the vehicle.

My battery and drive unit warranty expires in 2 months. We have 107k miles and mostly home charge to only 80%. Should I be worried that this is a big issue with the battery or drive unit???

Attached is the information from the Technician.

Attachments

• IMG_3122.png
    IMG_3122.png
    780.9 KB · Views: 40
Likely it is not the HV battery, but something is leaking electrical current that is electrically connected to the battery. In your car, that includes the front drive unit (covered under warranty), the HVAC compressor, or the cabin heater. My guess would be the drive unit, as it's the most complex of the three. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Likely it is not the HV battery, but something is leaking electrical current that is electrically connected to the battery. In your car, that includes the front drive unit (covered under warranty), the HVAC compressor, or the cabin heater. My guess would be the drive unit, as it's the most complex of the three. Good luck!
Thanks so much for your advice on what it could be. I’ll report back once I have any more details on what they tell me it is.

Upvote 0

I just heard back from Tesla Service Center and they are replacing my front drive unit under warranty. So crazy that it went out a few months before my 8 year warranty was up. Thanks for being spot on with the issue.

Upvote 0