Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waiting on word for a High Voltage Battery issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
August 2016 Model S refresh . Waiting on word for a High Voltage Battery issue. ALert said "car may not restart" so I drove home before shutting down. Low voltage alert bricked the car and I was thinking I need a new 12v battery after 7+ years of use. No big deal right? Looked into doing it myself when I received a call from Tesla stating it's a HV Battery issue not 12v (will replace anyway after 7+ years) Tow to the shop only 10 miles away $380!! Yikes! But it's dead in my driveway, not much choice. If the repair is confirmed as HV battery which is still covered under warranty I'll fight for the tow charge to be refunded. I checked forums for same issues but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have had very few issues in my 7 years and 5 months of ownership. Looked into selling it last year but I just can't give this car up. Hopefully issue is a new battery and from what I understand they no longer have the 75kwh replacements. I wouldn't argue against getting a 90kwh. :)

Reactions: scgaskill
August 2016 Model S refresh . Waiting on word for a High Voltage Battery issue. ALert said "car may not restart" so I drove home before shutting down. Low voltage alert bricked the car and I was thinking I need a new 12v battery after 7+ years of use. No big deal right? Looked into doing it myself when I received a call from Tesla stating it's a HV Battery issue not 12v (will replace anyway after 7+ years) Tow to the shop only 10 miles away $380!! Yikes! But it's dead in my driveway, not much choice. If the repair is confirmed as HV battery which is still covered under warranty I'll fight for the tow charge to be refunded. I checked forums for same issues but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have had very few issues in my 7 years and 5 months of ownership. Looked into selling it last year but I just can't give this car up. Hopefully issue is a new battery and from what I understand they no longer have the 75kwh replacements. I wouldn't argue against getting a 90kwh. :)
They have quite a few reman 75kWh packs in stock.

So, it turns out I DO need a new battery pack. Service rep. states 10 days at least and most likely WILL be a 75kwh replacement I'm sure it's a reconditioned one. Of course i only know this because we had a 50 degree January day here, a great day for riding the motorcycle ! It is impossible to get a human on the phone so I just took a ride and i'm glad I did! The cars window was open in a lot of 1000 cars and would have been overlooked. I asked them to close it. (needed a jumper to close it) We had a big rain storm that very night. As far as the APP is concerned it still says "repair service in progress" and I wonder how long it will be before I am officially notified of battery pack repair. I have owned this car 7+ years and have been mostly satisfied with Tesla service throughout the years. But communication has always been a Tesla shortcoming. I will take up the $400 tow I paid out with them when service is complete. Forgot to ask Rep. Got a loaner Model 3 w/o issue. All in all I was worried about having the S past next August when the 8 years ran out on battery and drive units. I would like to keep it another 1-2 years until my Cybertruck # comes in.

Reactions: Raroia and Gumball
@Chopr147 Fortunately you are getting a free pack replacement before your 8 year warranty ends. Remember that the warranty on your replacement pack expires on the 8th year of your car. So in about 7 months.

Also, as @brainhouston mentioned upthread, please share any alerts you've received. 2012-15 Model S's have been getting BMS_u029 or 018 alerts requiring owner paid pack replacements/repairs.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Only alert I received was a "low voltage battery". No warnings prior or any indication at all that the battery pack had an issue. Tesla initially was going to send mobile repair but then called me stating it was HV battery. Weird. I was advised a 90 kwh would not be compatible.
Picked the car up yesterday with new HV and 12V replaced. No charge, HV covered under warranty and they said 12V was damaged due to HV issue.? Whatever, I saved the $260 for the 12V Considering it was as old as the car, 7 years 5 months I'm happy. And replaced with a Lithium. Tesla also will cover the $400 tow due to it being a warranty repair. :) Grand total of ZERO $$ to me and I got to try out the Model 3 for a week+. I have been satisfied with service over the course of my 7+ years of ownership but this time it was a pleasure.

One other thing: Checking the cars lifetime charging stats I noticed my Supercharger usage was at 27% and the rest, slow charge or home charging. I don't charge to 100% unless I'm going on a trip and have been to below 3% maybe 3 times over the years. AND I always use the pre-warming feature for SC's. So, I don't see any issue there and have no idea what caused it. Service Center didn't have an answer for me. This bugs me because I like knowing what went wrong. :)

Only alert I received was a "low voltage battery". No warnings prior or any indication at all that the battery pack had an issue. Tesla initially was going to send mobile repair but then called me stating it was HV battery. Weird. I was advised a 90 kwh would not be compatible.
Picked the car up yesterday with new HV and 12V replaced. No charge, HV covered under warranty and they said 12V was damaged due to HV issue.? Whatever, I saved the $260 for the 12V Considering it was as old as the car, 7 years 5 months I'm happy. And replaced with a Lithium. Tesla also will cover the $400 tow due to it being a warranty repair. :) Grand total of ZERO $$ to me and I got to try out the Model 3 for a week+. I have been satisfied with service over the course of my 7+ years of ownership but this time it was a pleasure.

One other thing: Checking the cars lifetime charging stats I noticed my Supercharger usage was at 27% and the rest, slow charge or home charging. I don't charge to 100% unless I'm going on a trip and have been to below 3% maybe 3 times over the years. AND I always use the pre-warming feature for SC's. So, I don't see any issue there and have no idea what caused it. Service Center didn't have an answer for me. This bugs me because I like knowing what went wrong. :)
Do you have pic of HV battery label so we can see what replacement you received? Thx.

Reactions: blodg1

Good for you! Thousands of others were not so lucky and were hit for $15k remanufactured battery just out of warranty (3mo for me and after clean bill of health in SC 1mo before warranty expiration). It sounds like you treated your battery really well. It seems unlikely the reman was treated so well. You might start preparing yourself mentally for another failure after August warranty expiration.

• Disagree
Reactions: buckets0fun
They have quite a few reman 75kWh packs in stock.
Does anybody have an up to date cost for a complete battery set replacement? My Model S is coming up to eight years old and I'm looking at replacement options. Seeing as they don't do right hand drive ModelS any more and i can't get the Y with air shocks, renewing the battery pack not the car looks attractive - but struggling to get a quote from Tesla.

Whatever, I saved the $260 for the 12V Considering it was as old as the car, 7 years 5 months I'm happy. And replaced with a Lithium.
And by the way, there's something misunderstood or not true there. Tesla does not replace the old standard 12V batteries with lithium ones. They can't. The monitoring and recharging systems in the old cars are made for how lead acid batteries are to be treated, and lithium ion batteries have different behavior, so they don't ever switch between the types. So if you were told that, it was incorrect.

Does anybody have an up to date cost for a complete battery set replacement? My Model S is coming up to eight years old and I'm looking at replacement options. Seeing as they don't do right hand drive ModelS any more and i can't get the Y with air shocks, renewing the battery pack not the car looks attractive - but struggling to get a quote from Tesla.
In USA Tesla new 85/90 kWh replacement packs currenttly are $18k USD base plus applicable taxes/labor, roughly $21k total. New gets one about 270/300 (85/90 Kwh) mile rated range and slightly faster supercharging speeds. Includes 4 yr/50k mile warranty.

Same remanufactured Tesla packs are $14k base plus applicable taxes/labor, roughly $16k total. Gets one about 240 mile rated range and no noticable improvement in supercharging speeds. Includes same 4 yr/50k mile warranty.

Note: Telsa increased both by base prices $1k about 3 months ago.

As you know, not many 3rd party options for folks in UK, yet. Here in USA, $10k is roughly the cost of reman/salvage/rebuilt/repaired 85 kWh pack getting owner about 240 mile rated range. Any applicable labor/taxes extra. Warranty roughly $1250/year extra with 3 years max I've seen.

Last edited:
And by the way, there's something misunderstood or not true there. Tesla does not replace the old standard 12V batteries with lithium ones. They can't. The monitoring and recharging systems in the old cars are made for how lead acid batteries are to be treated, and lithium ion batteries have different behavior, so they don't ever switch between the types. So if you were told that, it was incorrect.
The receipt shows a battery replacement "LV Battery". I could be wrong but I was thinking the LV meant Lithium. I did not talk to service rep. about it.

Not sure where that is. Looking under the car I don't see a label. I have a remanufactured part# on receipt
Get on your stomach behind the right front tire. Look up and the label will be in front of you
Here's mine. 20230312_143539.jpg