Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S 2018 worth keeping before battery warranty expires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model S 75D, it has approx 37k miles. I have been having issues with it recently from replacing battery coolant heater and 12v battery to the latest replacement of MCU. The car went offline a few times and it took 3 tows to service center to have them diagnosed the issue of MCU. Of course all of these issues happened on the 5th year which my car is out of warranty and I had to pay tows and repairs out of pocket. My concern now is the battery warranty which will expire in 2026. I have read in the forum that someone was quoted $22k for battery replacement. I noticed that the battery range has dropped from charging at 80% at 226 miles (when it was new) to now charging at 80% at 185 miles. Should I trade in the car before the battery warranty runs out? Or should I keep it (I do love the car) and deal with the consequences?

Reactions: Amr Wahbi
This is so interesting to read. My 2018 just got towed for random errors related to the battery cooling system, a dead 12v, and suspension compressor errors. So far no word as to what is going on with it. Also debating whether to keep or trade up. Have heard rumors about the latest software upgrade killing the 2018's.
Rumors? Tell us more.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and cwerdna
Upvote 0
The battery coolant heater, 12V battery and MCU are fairly common failure points. I did all 3 with my 2015 70D. I never had any other issues until a collision totalled it out at 8.2 years of age.
I too had the same concerns and I rolled the dice (although not for long as it turns out). Your concerns are much more common than a dead battery. I would look at what your pack version has been doing. Some are worse than others.

I had considered a WK057 battery warranty but never pulled the trigger. You should at least know that option exists when the time comes. It is more like $1k per year but worth considering.

If you wouldn't mind switching to a Y, they are pretty cheap. That is what I did. Basically got $25k for my car and paid $50k for the Y. Not bad for an 8 year newer car with much more range and much faster charging.

Reactions: YHKK
Upvote 0
I had considered a WK057 battery warranty but never pulled the trigger. You should at least know that option exists when the time comes. It is more like $1k per year but worth considering.
I can't speak to the status of WK057's services but wk057 (Jason Hughes) is out of the loop when I last checked. He sold the business and from what I gather, has some legal/contractual obligations keeping him from discussing too much now that he's no longer involved.

Check his recent posts. I read Vendor - Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology awhile ago and just read Vendor - Tesla Model S Battery Extended Service Plans from 057 Technology. He'd gone silent for awhile (e.g. 057 Technology) then finally, semi-recently posted what's up.

Others who were customers can chime in w/much more accuracy.

Upvote 0
I don't think that's a viable option anymore, as @cwerdna mentions. A lot of people who do have that service plan haven't been able to get any response from the new company that bought the company for months, and the thing seems to have disappeared or is not operating at the moment. So I would look elsewhere.

Reactions: YHKK and cwerdna
Upvote 0
This is so interesting to read. My 2018 just got towed for random errors related to the battery cooling system, a dead 12v, and suspension compressor errors. So far no word as to what is going on with it. Also debating whether to keep or trade up. Have heard rumors about the latest software upgrade killing the 2018's.
Have you gotten a diagnosis yet? Mine started in the middle of supercharging, I got an error message saying car cannot restart, call for service. While I was waiting for the tow truck, the car went completely dead, monitor went dark. That was when I needed to replace the battery coolant heater and 12v battery. A couple weeks later while charging at home, car goes completely offline, Had it tow to service center. As soon as it was dropped off at service center, car woke up and Tesla didn't find anything wrong with it. A week later same thing happened while it was charging at home, went offline, had it towed. This time I told Tesla I don't want it back until they figure out the issues. They had the car about 2 weeks and replaced the MCU. Have the car back and so far so good. I'm interested in what are you gonna do with your car.

Upvote 0
Suspension on high, if equipped.

Get under right front wheel.

Aim phone at front corner of pack side, in back of wheel liner

Should be able to image the label.

The battery coolant heater, 12V battery and MCU are fairly common failure points. I did all 3 with my 2015 70D. I never had any other issues until a collision totalled it out at 8.2 years of age.
I too had the same concerns and I rolled the dice (although not for long as it turns out). Your concerns are much more common than a dead battery. I would look at what your pack version has been doing. Some are worse than others.

If you wouldn't mind switching to a Y, they are pretty cheap. That is what I did. Basically got $25k for my car and paid $50k for the Y. Not bad for an 8 year newer car with much more range and much faster charging.
Actually I had a 3 and Y for loaners while my S was in repair. I do like the Y and right now there's a $7,500 federal tax credit. That's why I'm debating if I should trade it in for a Y. But with all the headaches these couple of months w my S, I'm leaning toward leasing. I did put in all this money in repair, thinking I should keep the car a little longer before battery warranty expires.

Upvote 0
Suspension on high, if equipped.

Get under right front wheel.

Aim phone at front corner of pack side, in back of wheel liner

Should be able to image the label.

Attachments

• 20240129_092401.jpg
    20240129_092401.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Funny
Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
Have you gotten a diagnosis yet? Mine started in the middle of supercharging, I got an error message saying car cannot restart, call for service. While I was waiting for the tow truck, the car went completely dead, monitor went dark. That was when I needed to replace the battery coolant heater and 12v battery. A couple weeks later while charging at home, car goes completely offline, Had it tow to service center. As soon as it was dropped off at service center, car woke up and Tesla didn't find anything wrong with it. A week later same thing happened while it was charging at home, went offline, had it towed. This time I told Tesla I don't want it back until they figure out the issues. They had the car about 2 weeks and replaced the MCU. Have the car back and so far so good. I'm interested in what are you gonna do with your car.
Well I have bad new, have my car back for a month and it went offline AGAIN! I definitely have a lemon!!!

Upvote 0
Hi YHKK, sorry, I do not always log in often. Same as you, I was charged to replace the battery cooler/heater and the 12v. After a couple of weeks, I got another compressor error, for which they charged me to replace the compressor. So far everything has been fine since then, but it has only been 3 weeks. I really don't know what to do with this car, as it has been in the shop 13 times since my purchase 18 months ago. I've sent Tesla notice of intent to pursue WA State lemon law. Really, I LOVE this car, but 13 times in the shop is ridiculous. I've had my 2015 Chevy ($32k in 2015) in the shop approximately....never.

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
Actually I had a 3 and Y for loaners while my S was in repair. I do like the Y and right now there's a $7,500 federal tax credit. That's why I'm debating if I should trade it in for a Y. But with all the headaches these couple of months w my S, I'm leaning toward leasing. I did put in all this money in repair, thinking I should keep the car a little longer before battery warranty expires.
Rumors? Tell us more.
NV Ray, so sorry, after pressing the hubs for more information, he basically said he saw something on Reddit....consider the source!

Reactions: NV Ray
Upvote 0
I have a 2018 Model S 75D, it has approx 37k miles. I have been having issues with it recently from replacing battery coolant heater and 12v battery to the latest replacement of MCU. The car went offline a few times and it took 3 tows to service center to have them diagnosed the issue of MCU. Of course all of these issues happened on the 5th year which my car is out of warranty and I had to pay tows and repairs out of pocket. My concern now is the battery warranty which will expire in 2026. I have read in the forum that someone was quoted $22k for battery replacement. I noticed that the battery range has dropped from charging at 80% at 226 miles (when it was new) to now charging at 80% at 185 miles. Should I trade in the car before the battery warranty runs out? Or should I keep it (I do love the car) and deal with the consequences?
I can't comment on your decision to keep or sell, but I did want to offer comparison on the 80% range. I have a 2012 85kw and 80% gets me 195 in range. I'm on my second battery which was installed under warranty after the 1st one took it's second trip back to the factory. They have made improvements to the packs since my original pack. The replacement was done around 2016 I think. I have over 140k miles. Being a signature S, I plan on keeping it forever...battery replacement and all. Biggest expense out of warranty was the 3G infotainment and the active air suspension. Other than that tires and 1 brake replacement. Minor other stuff. Pretty relieved, I was prepared for worse being an early adopter. Best wishes on what ever your decision is.

Upvote 0
Don't trade it in. Sell out right to a private party. You will get more money than a trade in. Buy a used Model S 90 or 85D with low mileage.

Upvote 0
Does anyone have experience with selling or trading in a year before the battery warranty runs out vs right at the 8 year mark? I have a 2017. I plan to keep it one more year but will the value take a significant hit if there is nothing left on the battery and motor warranty?

Upvote 0
You explained my scenario exactly, except I have 100D, and I did change the MCU as an upgrade.
I had to pay for a battery coolant heater and 12v battery

My pain point: I booked a service appointment and asked Tesla to confirm the battery health percentage. They didn't give me the battery health percentage; instead, they mentioned that it is in a good state, and 3.4% degraded above the average.
I believe it is not possible for Tesla to know the battery percentage for Model S 2018.

My warranty is unlimited kilometers and ends in 2026

Upvote 0
My Car : 2018 Model S HW3.0 MCU2.5 , SW version 2024.8.7 (upgraded Yesterday)

I had to pay (last month) for a battery coolant heater and 12v battery.

My pain point: I booked a service appointment and asked Tesla to confirm the HW battery health percentage. They didn't give me the battery health percentage; instead, they mentioned that it is in a good state and 3.4% degraded above the average. and they claimed that they would not replace the battery under warranty for the health degradation; they will only replace it under failure!!!!!

I believe it is not possible for Tesla to know the battery percentage for Model S 2018.

Question: Is there a way to obtain the high voltage battery health percentage?

My battery warranty is unlimited kilometers and ends in 2026

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I had to pay (last month) for a battery coolant heater and 12v battery.

My pain point: I booked a service appointment and asked Tesla to confirm the HW battery health percentage. They didn't give me the battery health percentage; instead, they mentioned that it is in a good state and 3.4% degraded above the average. and they claimed that they would not replace the battery under warranty for the health degradation; they will only replace it under failure!!!!!

Question: Is there a way to obtain the high voltage battery health percentage?

My battery warranty is unlimited kilometers and ends in 2026
You can check the terms of the warranty in the app. For older battery, it is covered 8 years unlimited miles but degradation is not covered. Newer battery has mileage limitation and also degradation percentage coverage (over 70%, 150k miles). I think some has done battery health test in service mode, but if your warranty does not cover degradation then it is just info only.

Upvote 0
You can check the terms of the warranty in the app. For older battery, it is covered 8 years unlimited miles but degradation is not covered. Newer battery has mileage limitation and also degradation percentage coverage (over 70%, 150k miles). I think some has done battery health test in service mode, but if your warranty does not cover degradation then it is just info only.
My warranty does not cover degradation, as I was informed by the Tesla agent when I insisted on obtaining the battery health percentage.

Question: Are you sure we can do "health test in service mode" , as I didn't find that option under the service mode

Upvote 0