Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wanted me to replace my Battery, turns out it was the dc-dc- convertor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Last February, my Tesla Model S suddenly showed 0% battery after having 58% just a few hours earlier. I called Tesla service, and they identified an issue with the Battery Management System.

Rather than taking the car to Tesla directly, I had it towed to my own garage by the ANWB. They discovered that the 12V battery was faulty due to a broken DC-DC converter. However, they couldn't reset the car with their current equipment, and Tesla refused to do it remotely.

Because of this, I ultimately had to have the car towed to Tesla by a recovery vehicle.

Before the car even arrived at Tesla's location, I received a call stating that the battery pack was also faulty and needed replacement, costing €16,500, as my car was out of the 8-year warranty period.

The car then sat at Tesla for about two weeks while we waited for the replacement pack to arrive.

During this time, I spoke with my own garage, which informed me that they had invested in Tesla-specific equipment, allowing them to diagnose the battery pack and replace only specific modules if necessary.

So, I had Tesla pick up the car again just in time, as they were about to start work.

After dismantling and testing the pack, it turned out that all the modules were functioning properly, and nothing needed replacing. Now, a week later, the DC-DC converter (costing €1200) has been replaced, and the car is back on the road.

Hi all,

Last February, my Tesla Model S suddenly showed 0% battery after having 58% just a few hours earlier. I called Tesla service, and they identified an issue with the Battery Management System.

Rather than taking the car to Tesla directly, I had it towed to my own garage by the ANWB. They discovered that the 12V battery was faulty due to a broken DC-DC converter. However, they couldn't reset the car with their current equipment, and Tesla refused to do it remotely.

Because of this, I ultimately had to have the car towed to Tesla by a recovery vehicle.

Before the car even arrived at Tesla's location, I received a call stating that the battery pack was also faulty and needed replacement, costing €16,500, as my car was out of the 8-year warranty period.

The car then sat at Tesla for about two weeks while we waited for the replacement pack to arrive.

During this time, I spoke with my own garage, which informed me that they had invested in Tesla-specific equipment, allowing them to diagnose the battery pack and replace only specific modules if necessary.

So, I had Tesla pick up the car again just in time, as they were about to start work.

After dismantling and testing the pack, it turned out that all the modules were functioning properly, and nothing needed replacing. Now, a week later, the DC-DC converter (costing €1200) has been replaced, and the car is back on the road.
Thanks for the information.

What alert(s) did you get?

How much did your own garage charge you to dismantle and test the pack?

Did Tesla replace the DC-DC converter?

Reactions: codger222
Thanks for the information.

What alert(s) did you get?

How much did your own garage charge you to dismantle and test the pack?

Did Tesla replace the DC-DC converter?
No problem,
My third-party garage did all the work in the, which included replacing the DC-DC convertor, but also testing all electric components to actually figure what was broken.
I'm still waiting for a breakdown of all costs from the garage.

• Informative
Reactions: NV Ray
Hi all,

Interesting. Surprised they needed to disassemble the pack to see that. A tool like ScanMyTesla or TM-Spy would have sufficed. Glad it worked out for you though! Service centers can be hit or miss. Some are absolutely amazing! (Milwaukee, Wi, USA) Others, worse than the shadiest used car dealer...