Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charged Up" door lock chime sounds like a high voltage electrical fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All. 2020 Model 3 Performance owner here. After the recent software update that added the lock chime feature, I had not read all of the release notes to see that this was in fact a new feature. I recently noticed that upon closing the driver's door and walking away, after about 15 seconds there was the distinct sound, that I recognize as an electrical engineer, of a high voltage charge pump discharging and charging back up, coming from the car. To me, this sounded like there was something wrong with the high voltage battery system, so I scheduled a service appointment and uploaded a video of the car making the sound. Instead of Tesla Service personnel taking the time to review the video and asking a few questions in an attempt to remedy the issue before scheduling the appointment, I received an appointment confirmation and $250 estimate with a note stating that I need to be able to reproduce the sound at the Service Center or else they may not be able to address my concern. Fortunately, I figured out what was going on before wasting my time taking the car to the Service Center.

Reactions: DownshiftDre