Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model S vs. Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not interested in new or a Model X for a variety of reasons
What have I missed about occasional towing a small trailer with a Model S?
Yes - Planning on 19" wheels

The S doesn't come with a hitch. You might be able to add one but it would be after market and Tesla would likely blame it for anything drivetrain, suspension, or brake issues since the model is is not rated for towing. There are third party hitches that claim a 2000 lb towing capacity.

Reactions: dsm363
Hello everyone! First post here on this forum and figured that it would be better to post in this thread vs create a new one that is very similar...

I'm looking at used Model S's and also trying to decide between a Standard or Plaid.
Some relevant details that are pertinent to the subject...
- I regularly make 250 mile one way trips ~40+ times a year, including Wisconsin winters
- I occasionally pull a small trailer (6.5x10 or 4x8 single axle)
- Looking at 2022-2023's that have the heat pump due to the above winter travel and distance
- I have level 2 charging available at each end of the 250 mile trips
- There are Tesla Super Chargers located at ~25% and ~75% of the trip
- I tend to keep vehicles a long time - have 400k on my current vehicle

I really would like to have ~500 miles of range, keep the charge between 20% and 80% and still have some reserve for things like heat, A/C, snow/rain, detours, battery degradation, etc and not have to stop at a charger every trip.

But with ~400 miles of range, keeping the charge between 15% and 85% and having a super charger at 25% and 75% of the trip, I'm rationalizing that I can make this work for most trips without stopping at a charger or significantly reduce the life of the battery. For the times that I do need to stop at a charger, the battery will have a minimum of 1 hour to condition, (typically 3 hours) and I should be able to charge for <10 minutes to get enough range to comfortably make it to my destination.

The EPA range is practically the same 396 vs 405, but practically is the Plaid just as efficient (or not?) as the standard when driving normally?
I've been reading and reading trying to educate myself - There's no practical reason to get a Plaid, but why not have the most powerful thing out there :)?
If it has to be a Model S, you definitely want the long range. I don’t think you’ll be able to tow and keep the car within the percentages you want. Honestly, for long trips, use the battery pack as much as you need it too. But you will likely have to stop two times on those trips to keep the battery pack within the range you want.

But for towing, the model X would be better. Especially if you qualify for the tax credit.

Thanks everyone for your opinions - Logic says the LR is the best option, but the Plaid is so tempting :)

Can anyone provide some technical reasons to go LR vs Plaid to support the above logic?
Reasons to go LR: Cheaper, more efficient

Reasons to go Plaid: Hard to overstate the excitement of the acceleration in Plaid mode. Track mode.

Otherwise they’re basically the same car.

Reasons to go LR: Cheaper, more efficient

Reasons to go Plaid: Hard to overstate the excitement of the acceleration in Plaid mode. Track mode.

Otherwise they’re basically the same car.
You're also going used. Understand someone would've MOST LIKELY driven the plaid "harder" than a used Long Range. If you want to spend 10-15k extra on the open market and you're ok with the difference of price then go for the plaid. The range isn't that much of a difference if you're gonna get 19s on both

I'm not looking to put anyone down or lift anyone on a pedestal here - just the facts :)

Plaid has 3 motors vs 2 in the standard
Is the Plaid using 3) Small Drive Units with carbon fiber wrap on the rotors?
Is the Standard using 1) Small Drive Unit in the front and 1) Large Drive Unit in the rear?
Do any of these 2022+ drive units have coolant leakage issues like the earlier drive units?
Is the 3 drive units on the Plaid the reason for it's slightly reduced efficiency/range?
Is there real world range difference between the two?
Any known issues that effect one and not the other?

Despite the good advice given obviously you want the Plaid ;) ...go for it. It's ok to make a car decision based on emotion vs logic sometimes.
Is it that obvious :)

You're also going used. Understand someone would've MOST LIKELY driven the plaid "harder" than a used Long Range. If you want to spend 10-15k extra on the open market and you're ok with the difference of price then go for the plaid. The range isn't that much of a difference if you're gonna get 19s on both
Agreed that a plaid has likely has more abuse.

I'd stay with 19's for sure
Has anyone put the narrower front wheels on the rear and seen a range improvement?
There would probably be a 0-60 launch penalty due to reduced traction, but potential advantages could be increased range, ability to rotate tires, less expensive tires, etc?

I'm not looking to put anyone down or lift anyone on a pedestal here - just the facts :)

Plaid has 3 motors vs 2 in the standard
Is the Plaid using 3) Small Drive Units with carbon fiber wrap on the rotors?
Is the Standard using 1) Small Drive Unit in the front and 1) Large Drive Unit in the rear?
Do any of these 2022+ drive units have coolant leakage issues like the earlier drive units?
Is the 3 drive units on the Plaid the reason for it's slightly reduced efficiency/range?
Is there real world range difference between the two?
Any known issues that effect one and not the other?
There’s no such thing as small or large drive units with these cars as far as I’m aware.

LR has two permanent magnet motors. The rear one is actually lifted from the model 3 performance. Both make approximately 252kW (338 hp) according to Tesla. The rear is geared at about 9:1, front at about 7.5:1

Plaid has 3 permanent magnet motors with carbon wrapped rotors. Front makes 319kW (428 HP) and rears make 309kW (414hp) each. However the battery itself is limited to ~1020hp, so none of the motors will be maxed out at a given moment in time. All are geared at 7.5:1

I’m not aware of anything like the coolant issues of older models, but it might just be too early for such an issue to manifest. The LR rear motor is at least the same as the M3P which has been in the field long enough to prove reliable. The other motors are all essentially based on that design

Source for horsepower numbers: https://www.tesla.com/en_eu/models

As far as range… based on what I’m seeing right now, I think the max I could get is maybe 300 miles. But I am on aftermarket 20s, and I don’t think either my wheels or tires are particularly efficient.

Last edited: