Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Purchase Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I am considering a new 2024 Model S or Model S Plaid. I currently have a Y and had an S prior.

I have seen many folks talk about how the 19s vs. 21 inch wheels are the way to go for comfort and ride.

I live in New England and usually switch into snow tires during the winters.

Would I be ok with the 21s during Spring/Summer/Fall and then switching to a separate set of 19s during Winter?

I like how the 21s look on the car. Most of my driving is around town or highway. I do about 10,000 miles per year.

Curious on any perspectives. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
The issue with 21s isn't the snow/winter weather so much as it's the more jarring ride which is present year round.

IMO 20" wheels are the best compromise of aesthetics, ride, range, and responsiveness. I run 20" wheels and summer tires for 7-8 months out of the year and then switch to the factory 19" wheels and the stock all season tires for the winter. I have another vehicle for snow, otherwise I'd probably put snow tires on the 19s.

The Tesla 21" wheel option also costs such a ridiculous premium ($4500!) that even if you decide to go with 21s, I would buy the car with 19s and buy aftermarket 21" wheels, or factory take-offs from another owner who regrets their 21" wheel purchase.

I’d agree with the post above. My car came with the 21 inch arachnids with Michelin PS4 summer tires. For the colder months (I’m in Arkansas), I run the a square 20x10 setup from T-Sportline with Michelin all season tires. These are so good I run these all year round however if I was further north I’d certainly run them with proper winter tires such as the Ice-X’s.

I would get the 21" rims only if looks matter more than anything else on the car. The increased tire cost and other issue makes it less useful. I drove on them for about 6 years before switching to 19" rims. But I had a P85 and not a Plaid.

If you get a Plaid and want to enjoy it as a Plaid, maybe 21" rims with max summer performance tires is the way to go. Other than that if it is more of a commuter car, 19" rims are just easier.

I don’t really notice any ride comfort differences with the stock 21s vs the stock 19s except when it gets colder out (40s or below). Then the stock 19s with Tesla winter tires are noticeably more comfortable than the stock 21s with PS4S tires. There are other potential issues with the 21s (reduced range and possible inner tire wear) but there’s no denying the grip with the factory Arachnids + PS4S is just insanity.

The issue with 21s isn't the snow/winter weather so much as it's the more jarring ride which is present year round.

IMO 20" wheels are the best compromise of aesthetics, ride, range, and responsiveness. I run 20" wheels and summer tires for 7-8 months out of the year and then switch to the factory 19" wheels and the stock all season tires for the winter. I have another vehicle for snow, otherwise I'd probably put snow tires on the 19s.

The Tesla 21" wheel option also costs such a ridiculous premium ($4500!) that even if you decide to go with 21s, I would buy the car with 19s and buy aftermarket 21" wheels, or factory take-offs from another owner who regrets their 21" wheel purchase.

This sounds very logical and smart! Thank you.

I have the 21" Arachnids on my 23 Plaid, and absolutely love them. My 21s came with the car, and were well-discounted, so it was a wash for me. I do the winter swap-out to 19s as others have mentioned. My take is that the condition of your local roads has a lot to do with it. The roads here in Maryland are pretty good, so I don't get the rough ride that others have mentioned. YMMV.

Just saw this... could be a fun way to get the premium look, with the smoother ride of 19s. Just paint your sidewalls to match the rim features! 🤣

Attachments

• PremiumWheels.jpg
    PremiumWheels.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 40
I don’t really notice any ride comfort differences with the stock 21s vs the stock 19s except when it gets colder out (40s or below). Then the stock 19s with Tesla winter tires are noticeably more comfortable than the stock 21s with PS4S tires. There are other potential issues with the 21s (reduced range and possible inner tire wear) but there’s no denying the grip with the factory Arachnids + PS4S is just insanity.
Fully agree with your assessment. In Chicago with snow I had to add a winter set of 19’s with all seasons. Do however like the additional 40 plus miles of range with the 19’s as I travel a lot for work.

Reactions: WilliamG
I switch out the 21" Arachnids Michelin Pilot Sport 4s for 255/45R/19s Continental Viking Contacts in winter. Besides being good in snow, the 19s' ride comfort is so much better than the 21s. New England roads are often in poor condition and the 21s lead to what I consider too brittle / rough a ride. The 19s make the ride so much more tolerable (less bangs and smacks) and I also don't need to maintain such a keen eye on the road surface ahead of me so driving is just more pleasant. If I were to buy a Tesla again, I'd buy with stock 19s and forget the 21s. The 21s look really good but not worth the real-world tradeoff for my situation and preference. And the 19s actually look pretty decent from Tesla, or you can swap for another 19 wheel/rim (as I did).