Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

are you holding back model S long range purchase due to new model 3 highland performance release next year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not holding off. For me has nothing to do with performance specs. I much prefer the utility of the hatchback and ride of the Model S. I realize the Model 3 is more nimble, some prefer the overall smaller exterior size factor, but I lean more toward touring type of sedan, and the Model S fits that requirement better for me.

I've decided to hold off on the S Plaid because I prefer the more nimble model 3 performance, just I want more performance.
A 700-800 HP model 3 would hit the sweet spot for me.
I'm not buying the car for fit and finish, I'm buying it because it is a fast toy with nearly 100% anonymity....I can have fun and 'disappear' in plain sight 30 seconds later :0)

I've decided to hold off on the S Plaid because I prefer the more nimble model 3 performance, just I want more performance.
A 700-800 HP model 3 would hit the sweet spot for me.
I'm not buying the car for fit and finish, I'm buying it because it is a fast toy with nearly 100% anonymity....I can have fun and 'disappear' in plain sight 30 seconds later :0)
You will never see a Model 3 with 800hp. S and 3 are completely incomparable.

Reactions: Struja
Incomparable? Current 3 agreed.
Can we be so sure with highland?

Highland adds: revised bumper/lighting, Ventilated seats, strip lighting, stalkless auto shift, nicer stereo (LR/P was already amazing), revised dual open centre console, dual pane glass all over, quieter db, better snd softer suspension.

Range, performance, lift gate…LRS hands down beats the 3 in premium feel yes (except if a revised 3P comes out with better specs) but it’s edging closer now.
Handling its not even a comparison. The 3 wins that hands down. Comfort and suspension, S wins this.

Fun drive factor? Toss up depending on what you value.

800hp P3 probably not but may get close if they want to make it something to compete with current competition the small sport sedan market.

Incomparable? Current 3 agreed.
Can we be so sure with highland?

Highland adds: revised bumper/lighting, Ventilated seats, strip lighting, stalkless auto shift, nicer stereo (LR/P was already amazing), revised dual open centre console, dual pane glass all over, quieter db, better snd softer suspension.

Range, performance, lift gate…LRS hands down beats the 3 in premium feel yes (except if a revised 3P comes out with better specs) but it’s edging closer now.
Handling its not even a comparison. The 3 wins that hands down. Comfort and suspension, S wins this.

Fun drive factor? Toss up depending on what you value.

800hp P3 probably not but may get close if they want to make it something to compete with current competition the small sport sedan market.

I will be buying an extra 3P if they just simply add more top end on the power curve. The 3P has plenty of power, it just falls on its face around 100. If they could stretch the powerband out like the plaids do, I think you'd be really happy with the results. In the plaid I'm constantly on traction control because it's so overpowered. The 3P would be the same way with 700hp because it's nearly 20% lighter.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I will be buying an extra 3P if they just simply add more top end on the power curve. The 3P has plenty of power, it just falls on its face around 100. If they could stretch the powerband out like the plaids do, I think you'd be really happy with the results. In the plaid I'm constantly on traction control because it's so overpowered. The 3P would be the same way with 700hp because it's nearly 20% lighter.
If they put it anywhere near that power level I don’t see the point of them continuing to sell the plaid. Especially being cheaper you’d have less room but more performance and it would take away from plaid sales

Reactions: Sam1
If they put it anywhere near that power level I don’t see the point of them continuing to sell the plaid. Especially being cheaper you’d have less room but more performance and it would take away from plaid sales
Aka. They won’t do it :) They’ll make it stronger and faster but not plaid territory.

I could see a 0-60 2.7/2.8 and some extra top end juice but that’s abt it.

Reactions: cptnslo

It'll need the carbon wrapped motors for that, but it's been rumored.

It'll need the carbon wrapped motors for that, but it's been rumored.
Not necessarily. The carbon wrap is just because of the expansion that occurs at high rpm. They're not going to let the 3p run 175+.

Where the top end power comes from is a combination of changing the S/P configuration on the battery pack with more in P, the controllers, and a modification in the laminate design that reduces interference at higher rpm.

With that said though, the plaid just uses model 3 type motors, so if Tesla does Tesla stuff, they'll repurpose the motor design they use in the plaid, down to the 3. *The motor design in itself, not the triple motor power train*

If they could just get the power curve more like the S, that would be enough for me. If the 3P were "only" a high 10 second 1/4 mile car, that would be enough for me to pull the trigger again. It doesn't need to be 800 hp for me, if they could keep it above 500 for the whole 1/4 mile, that would be enough for me. This is well within their capability if they choose to do so.

If they could just get the power curve more like the S, that would be enough for me. If the 3P were "only" a high 10 second 1/4 mile car, that would be enough for me to pull the trigger again. It doesn't need to be 800 hp for me, if they could keep it above 500 for the whole 1/4 mile, that would be enough for me. This is well within their capability if they choose to do so.
Yeah, 700-800 would just overpower the car. It's really balanced well as-is.

That would still be ridiculous. The cost would be the interesting part. I’m guessing 55-60k. Also probably in the 550-600hp range
The M3P already approximately 550hp. My guess is the next performance oriented model 3 will have a real HP number, not reported, of at least 650+.

Which in theory would translate to 10.7 @ 125mph and a sufficient step up to have old M3P upgrade to the new one.

The M3P already approximately 550hp. My guess is the next performance oriented model 3 will have a real HP number, not reported, of at least 650+.

Which in theory would translate to 10.7 @ 125mph and a sufficient step up to have old M3P upgrade to the new one.
You’re correct about current numbers, not sure why I thought it was in the 475-500 range now. I feel like 650 will push it too much into the base model s numbers which, even as a different type of car, would draw sales away from their “flagship” but I guess we will see. I thought they said at some point this year the M3P would be announced