Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I keep or trade in my 2018 Tesla P3D for either a Model S (or when available a Highland Model 3)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it were me (and I wish it was šŸ˜Ž) I wouldnā€™t trade the M3P for a Highlandā€¦until the Highland Performance is releasedā€¦this of course could take foreverā€¦but might be a game changer when it does. The ultimate performance in a small carā€¦like the seventies all over again.
I think that even though the technology and ride will be a step up..you might miss the acceleration.
If you want a car now get an S Plaid (even if itā€™s used to get it in budget).
An enjoyable dilemma to be inšŸ¤”šŸ˜€

Coincidentally relevant to this thread I just drove a highland 3! My SC just got one and finished taking off the plastic. I got the first test drive.
IMG_8779.jpeg

Lots of thoughts.
The door thunk, sound insulation and softer ride quality are amazing improvements. I was mentally expecting good improvements but was still impressed. It's like a civic to a Toyota Avalon. Almost felt like magic. BUT there is a considerable loss of steering feel and response. The car is very capable but felt like a high tech appliance to me. Lacking character. I think it will be a home run for 90% of buyers who just want a city commuter. But for sporty buyers I would say buy used. I'm still waiting to try the highland performance which I'm sure will be the goat. For comparison I'd say a stock 2018 3 performance supension is a 1 for harshness. Adding tein shocks makes it a 6-7. Highland on 18" wheels a 10.

The loss of the turning stalks is a huge mistake. Buyers maybe can get used to it but the driving experience is terrible. It's hard to signal. It's hard to activate autopilot. The buttons don't have a good easy feeling. If I worked at Tesla design I would be firing people. Sexy buttons can help fix all these issues though.

The new interior feels generic like I'm inside an IKEA. Not for me but others seem ok with it. The new steering wheel feels opposite of sporty or cool. The new MCU is very snappy. Shifting on the screen is fine. Again I miss the stalks. But the overall package of the car is just incredible. It's fast. Smooth. Quiet. Ok looking. Autopilot. What a car! That being said I would choose a used 3 performance anyday and travel the world with the money saved.
IMG_8780.jpeg

Honestly you could probably trade your car in for a used MSLR and only be like 30k in the hole for a car that fits your stated needs.

That said, $3,500 in parts plus labor should be enough to install some adjustable Comfort clovers and have an audio shop slap some sound deadening inside the doors and trunk. I did the latter to my RAV4 which made a huge difference in road noise, and have been very happy with my Comfort coils in my M3P.

Polish_20210108_200757666.jpeg

Last edited:
I am in a similar position; my M3P is only 3 years old. I really love my car, and there's very little I would change about it.

Still, like you, I find myself longing for something else. I took a '23 Model S out for a test drive and was very impressed. It outdoes the Model 3 in every way (especially compared to a newer model with HW4): larger screen, ventilated seals, faster computer, instrument cluster, better audio, air suspension, more range, speed, more room, upscale interior, and on and on.

I purchased the m3P because it's fun, but coming from a luxury brand, it needs more inside. It's just missing something, and to me, the S has that something. One other thing is I never found the Model 3 to be an attractive car. Honestly, it's homely. That S is one sexy, sleek, low-slung machine, and even though the design is aging, it's just a better-looking car. Then there's that new red.

The Highland improves on the current model quite a bit, but I have decided on a Model S LR. The rumored minor refresh, which includes the LED lighting and front bumper camera, will also be excellent additions.

Is it an intelligent financial decision? Heck no. But I'm blessed with a fair amount of disposable income and YOLO. I had considered the Plaid, but there's not much value in 20K for an extra motor and a CF spoiler, and with the Plaid, you can't get wood trim (ironically, I hate the wood trim on the M3). I will add a Cybertruck as a second vehicle in a few years.

I wish there were a few more models to choose from, but for now, I will much enjoy a Model S. But I will miss my 3 a little.

Recently drove the highland model 3 and just drove the BMW i4. The BMW will cost a bit more, but it's worth considering if you're not set on a Tesla for supercharging or specific tech needs. The BMW rides like the highland, but handles much better with steering response more akin to the older 3 performance models. Interior feel is very premium and you can get back a lot of tech functionality via carplay/android auto.

I liked the highland a lot for the improvements to ride quality and NVH, but the interior feels even more "economy" than my 2019 and I don't love that every other car on the road is a model 3 these days :eek: Don't get me started on the turn signals...

Last edited:
been following this thread because i was in the same situation. ended up pulling the trigger on a plaid and iā€™m pretty happy with my decision. yes you feel the size and weight of the car, thereā€™s no hiding it. i came from generations of m3ā€™s to an m3p so handling is huge for me. i gotta say the s isnā€™t too shabby considering its size. i maybe saying this because im now blinded by its sheer power. sadly i think this car has converted me to a straight line drag strip guy rather than lap times. still a lot of fun though!

i say hold and wait to see how the highland perf is then make your decision

been following this thread because i was in the same situation. ended up pulling the trigger on a plaid and iā€™m pretty happy with my decision. yes you feel the size and weight of the car, thereā€™s no hiding it. i came from generations of m3ā€™s to an m3p so handling is huge for me. i gotta say the s isnā€™t too shabby considering its size. i maybe saying this because im now blinded by its sheer power. sadly i think this car has converted me to a straight line drag strip guy rather than lap times. still a lot of fun though!

i say hold and wait to see how the highland perf is then make your decision

I feel the same way. I enjoy a good corner, and the M3P is nimble as hell. Test drove the Model S; while you feel the weight, it can still be pushed hard in the corners. The M3P has a skidpad of 0.96 g, while the S skidpad is 0.92 g. A slight loss you'll feel in the seat of your pants, but still darn respectable. The Model S bests the BMW 3, which has a 0.89 g skidpad and is still considered a well-handling vehicle. Cornering is the only thing you give up going from a Model 3 to a Model S, which beats the 3 in every other metric. It's a superior vehicle, but it comes at a price.

Just found this thread and I'm in a similar situation as the OP - Here's what I'm debating. I have a 2018 M3 Dual Motor with 68K miles. Much like the OP, I'm debating whether to sell or upgrade. My specific question: I just got 10K points for a referral and can redeem for "Autopilot". Will adding that to my car increase my value much (currently, that upgrade would cost me $3000). Or would it be better for me to save those credits and use them if I upgrade to a new Tesla? I'm considering a Model Y (test drove one, it seemed like it was quieter and had a smoother suspension). Just trying to get the most bang for the buck on those points.

Just found this thread and I'm in a similar situation as the OP - Here's what I'm debating. I have a 2018 M3 Dual Motor with 68K miles. Much like the OP, I'm debating whether to sell or upgrade. My specific question: I just got 10K points for a referral and can redeem for "Autopilot". Will adding that to my car increase my value much (currently, that upgrade would cost me $3000). Or would it be better for me to save those credits and use them if I upgrade to a new Tesla? I'm considering a Model Y (test drove one, it seemed like it was quieter and had a smoother suspension). Just trying to get the most bang for the buck on those points.

I dont think tesla even values full self driving at 3k on trade in, at least not from the trade in offer I got from them on my 2018 Model 3P about 3-4 months ago, so there is very little chance adding autopilot to your car would increase that cars value the 3k it would cost to buy it normally.

It would be worth doing that upgrade if you were going to keep the car, or maybe even if you were going to sell it private party since its going to confuse any private party buyer that your 2018 doesnt have "standard autopilot" cause that wasnt a thing in 2018 when you got your car.

I dont think tesla even values full self driving at 3k on trade in, at least not from the trade in offer I got from them on my 2018 Model 3P about 3-4 months ago, so there is very little chance adding autopilot to your car would increase that cars value the 3k it would cost to buy it normally.

It would be worth doing that upgrade if you were going to keep the car, or maybe even if you were going to sell it private party since its going to confuse any private party buyer that your 2018 doesnt have "standard autopilot" cause that wasnt a thing in 2018 when you got your car.
Yes, I was thinking private party sale but yeah, I'm almost guessing any software upgrades done as a trade in would be close to 'worthless' from Tesla's standpoint. It doesn't cost them anything to add any of those to a used car to for a better re-sale price. If I decide to get another Telsa, perhaps I'll use the credits for something else.

Reactions: fredjan
After driving the BMW i4 and the new Highland model 3, I just pulled the trigger on a used Model S long range. I was really only half-way looking as I had planned to keep my 2019 a couple more years, but this Model S was a great deal, black interior (my fave) and just felt so upscale and refined compared to the highland and the BMW. This one also rode nicer than others I've been in. I don't know if it's a model year difference or what--it does have the adjustable dampers. And it has extra stalks and buttons!!

no-ragrets-tattoo-scaled.jpg