Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland base model Demo Drive - Improvements and Setbacks compared to 2018 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove the Model 3 Highland base model today in Burbank CA, and I used to own and drive 2018 Model 3 LR RWD for 4 years.

OVERALL DRIVING IMPRESSION:
The car drives AWESOME. Equally as good as Legacy Model 3. It's so fun. Handling and responsiveness are VERY good. A bit slow 0 to 20mph, but fast after that.

MASSIVE IMPROVEMENTS IN HIGHLAND Model 3:
1) Quiet cabin, almost zero wind noise, almost zero road noise. Even at 80mph on highway. This was sooooooooo much quieter than I was expecting. Cabin quietness similar to Lexus.
2) Exterior looking at the front of the car and headlights looks WAY better. Huge upgrade.

SETBACKS
3) Front seats are not as comfortable anymore. They're still good, but nowhere near as plush and cushiony as the 3/Y seats before.
4) Speakers are noticeably worse/tinny sounding compared to a 2021 base model RWD demo drive I did in the past. Slacker wasn't working, sound was tested using multiple radio stations.

OTHER IMPROVEMENTS
5) Suspension was more comfortable, but not WAY more comfortable.
6) Interior is slightly nicer, but not much. Still feels cheap and sparse compared to my 2016 X. Interior is NOTHING like a luxury car, my 2001 Lexus was way nicer.
7) 2nd row screen is really nice, and the ability to control climate and move/arrange the air vents was great.
8) I like the removal of stalks better. I like keeping my hand on the wheel when signaling turns.
9) Cooled seats were OK. Not great. Nowhere near as good as Rivian R1S cooled seats.
10) 2nd row seats and armrest were slighly improved.
11) Ambient LED interior lighting doesn't add to anything during the day, might be cool at night. Not sure.
12) Probably has HW4 with sharper cameras but I didn't test autopilot.

STILL THE SAME
13) It's way too small and cramped in Model 3. Model Y and X are wayyyyyy nicer to be inside with so much more space. 2nd row passengers still can't put toes under front seats, sadly.
14) No floor mats included. Wow.

Hope this helps.
Screenshot (250).png

Thanks for the write up Sunshine!

I demo drove one the other day as well and it felt noticeably smaller inside than my current Tesla. I'm coming from a 2020 Model 3 RWD. I definitely agree with your points except for somewhat 4 and 5.

4 - while it wasn't fantastic, the RWD one that I drove had a slightly better sound system than my current model. I'd say on a scale of "betterness", 15% better. Could have something to do with immersive sound idk. Not an audiophile here.

5 - ride quality was absolutely an improvement. If the seats were just a bit more comfortable and cabin felt a bit wider, I'd give it a 5/5 on my personal scale. I'd consider it "way" better but not WAY better.

The no stalk thing was weird at first with the buttons being kinda clicky and hard to activate without thinking. Probably a skill issue 😜.

Nice write up. I mostly agree except for the aesthetics opinion. Which I understand is an opinion.
I much prefer the front of the previous M3. The new design looks like I've seen it a thousand times.
It has lost its uniqueness.

As for space, unless its been made smaller, its pretty close to the Y.
Here is a (2023) comparison.

2023 Tesla Model 3 Base - Specs & Features
Front Seat Dimensions
Front head room40.3 in.
Front leg room42.7 in.
Front shoulder room56.3 in.
Front hip room53.4 in.

2023 Tesla Model Y Long Range - Specs & Features
Front Seat Dimensions
Front head room41.0 in.
Front leg room41.8 in.
Front shoulder room56.4 in.
Front hip room53.8 in.

Nice write up. I mostly agree except for the aesthetics opinion. Which I understand is an opinion.
I much prefer the front of the previous M3. The new design looks like I've seen it a thousand times.

Front Seat Dimensions
Front head room40.3 in.
Front leg room42.7 in.
Front hip room53.4 in.

Front Seat Dimensions
Front head room41.0 in.
Front leg room41.8 in.
Front hip room53.8 in.
Thanks for posting this, it's much less than I thought. I'm curious why SO many people in reviews and other outlets say the Y has so much more space than the 3!

Front Seat Dimensions
Front head room40.3 in.
Front leg room42.7 in.
Front hip room53.4 in.

Front Seat Dimensions
Front head room41.0 in.
Front leg room41.8 in.
Front hip room53.8 in.
Those dimensions say no but, my son has the same year model Y as my 3. The Y just feels distinctly more spacious.

Reactions: Talguy
When I bought my MYLR, I tested my rear facing child seat in both the MY and M3. While the seat fits in the M3, the front passenger seat had to be pushed up and moved higher to where it was not comfortable for a 6ft tall adult to be comfortable for long drives. The Y felt much bigger and comfortable.