Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 Model S vs. Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, thank you to all who have been super helpful.

I have been debating the Model S vs. Plaid version. To start, I do not need any of the performance of the Plaid as the Model S is plenty for me. I do not intend to track the car and I've driven my Model Y on "Chill" mode for the most part. I do happen to like the styling of the Plaid however.

Curious if anyone else has had the Model S vs. Plaid debate in their head? How did you ultimately select?

I've had a 2016 Model S and a 2020 Model Y.

I plan to order in the next week as my lease is over late-March on my Model Y.

Thanks in advance,

I have been debating the Model S vs. Plaid version. To start, I do not need any of the performance of the Plaid as the Model S is plenty for me. I do not intend to track the car and I've driven my Model Y on "Chill" mode for the most part. I do happen to like the styling of the Plaid however.

Curious if anyone else has had the Model S vs. Plaid debate in their head? How did you ultimately select?

Thanks in advance,
You prefer the "styling" of the Plaid?

The "styling" is simply the spoiler, the Plaid badge and the red brake calipers on the exterior.

You can change the color of the calipers and add the spoiler easily.

The interior has the CF trim option and you can also change that easily with some excellent precut vinyl.

You prefer the "styling" of the Plaid?

The "styling" is simply the spoiler, the Plaid badge and the red brake calipers on the exterior.

You can change the color of the calipers and add the spoiler easily.

The interior has the CF trim option and you can also change that easily with some excellent precut vinyl.
Hi - yes, sadly, it's the spoiler + calipers that do it for me. Glad they can be done in the aftermarket. This was helpful. this pretty much sealed the deal for me!

Reactions: The Long C_0_N
What is it specifically about the "styling" of the Model S Plaid versus that of the standard Model S that you prefer? I struggle to find another example of an entry level car that looks more similar to the upgraded trim level then the current Tesla Model S.
Ha! Yes, well, I do like the callipers and the spoiler. Seems those can be achieved thru the aftermarket.

Thanks in advance,
I originally owned a 2022 Model 3 Performance, but traded in it for a 2023 Model S Long Range. The Long Range is unnecessarily fast. So fast, that I don't even bother using the full extent of its power except in the rarest of occasions. Flooring it in either a M3P or an Model SLR is a party trick that gets old pretty fast, as it does not feel great to repeatedly launch yourself forward with that much torque.... I've never driven a Plaid, but whatever it feels like, it must be overkill. I leave my Model S LR in insane mode, and I'm constantly taking my foot off the accelerator to avoid getting a ticket. It's more than fast enough unless you're planning on tracking it.
As a wise man once said, it's more fun to drive a slower car fast than it is to have to drive a faster car slow.

Last edited:
I originally owned a 2022 Model 3 Performance, but traded in it for a 2023 Model S Long Range. The Long Range is unnecessarily fast. So fast, that I don't even bother using the full extent of its power except in the rarest of occasions. Flooring it in either a M3P or an Model SLR is a party trick that gets old pretty fast, as it does not feel great to repeatedly launch yourself forward with that much torque.... I've never driven a Plaid, but whatever it feels like it must be overkill. I leave my Model S LR in insane mode, and I'm constantly taking my foot off the accelerator to avoid getting a ticket. It's more than fast enough unless you're planning on tracking it.
As a wise man once said, it's more fun to drive a slower car fast than it is to have to drive a faster car slow.
That quote is fantastic. Thank you.

I drive my S in the “Sport” mode and the “insane” mode is way too much for my liking that I would never ever use. In that case, I knew that the Plaid was going to be a waste of money for me because “Sport” medium speed setting is already the limit for what i need in the Model S. I never ever track my cars… so, if that is also the case for you, Plaid is a waste of money.

I got the Plaid spoiler instead. I do NOT like the Carbon Fiber interior trim, so the wood in the regular S is already exactly what I wanted with a cream interior (awesome combo).

Make sure you really really really want the 1000+ hp because wasting 15-20K more for the plaid. The S (for me) is already too powerful for my use.

I drive my S in the “Sport” mode and the “insane” mode is way too much for my liking that I would never ever use. In that case, I knew that the Plaid was going to be a waste of money for me because “Sport” medium speed setting is already the limit for what i need in the Model S. I never ever track my cars… so, if that is also the case for you, Plaid is a waste of money.

I got the Plaid spoiler instead. I do NOT like the Carbon Fiber interior trim, so the wood in the regular S is already exactly what I wanted with a cream interior (awesome combo).

Make sure you really really really want the 1000+ hp because wasting 15-20K more for the plaid. The S (for me) is already too powerful for my use.
If you listen to Elon talk about the Plaid in the announcement keynote, it's kinda like they designed the carbon wrapped tri-motors in the Plaid almost as a science project just to see if they could do it.... Practicality in street driving clearly wasn't their intended goal. Unfortunately, it seems as though neither was braking performance, since customers need to drop even more money on the track package for brakes with sufficient enough stopping power for a vehicle that fast.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: 1windy and bhzmark
I originally owned a 2022 Model 3 Performance, but traded in it for a 2023 Model S Long Range. The Long Range is unnecessarily fast. So fast, that I don't even bother using the full extent of its power except in the rarest of occasions. Flooring it in either a M3P or an Model SLR is a party trick that gets old pretty fast, as it does not feel great to repeatedly launch yourself forward with that much torque.... I've never driven a Plaid, but whatever it feels like, it must be overkill. I leave my Model S LR in insane mode, and I'm constantly taking my foot off the accelerator to avoid getting a ticket. It's more than fast enough unless you're planning on tracking it.
2.5 years later and Plaid mode has never once gotten old. Not once. So, different strokes..!

2.5 years later and Plaid mode has never once gotten old. Not once. So, different strokes..!
Do you feel like you use the full power of the Plaid often, or is it just nice knowing that you have UNLIMITED POWER (Palpatine voice) at your disposal? I would think the nice thing about having the Plaid is just knowing that you can smoke anything on the road that's out there.

If you listen to Elon talk about the Plaid in the announcement keynote, it's kinda like they designed the carbon wrapped tri-motors in the Plaid almost as a science project just to see if they could do it.... Practicality in street driving clearly wasn't their intended goal. Unfortunately, it seems as though neither was braking performance, since customers need to drop even more money on the track package for brakes with sufficient enough stopping power for a vehicle that fast.
And that's simply not true. It's true on a track, but not true on the street. I've slammed the brakes from...let's just say... rather high speeds.. in the name of science, and the car has no issue doing it. Would it have an issue doing it over and over? Sure it might/would! And do I care on the street? Not one bit!

I mean... ask yourself this? How many Plaids have ended up in a wall or crashing into a house or whatever? Haven't read of many/any, except a couple of track accidents. You'd think we'd be seeing wrecked Plaid pictures in every thread the way people talk about the brakes on this car..

Do you feel like you use the full power of the Plaid often, or is it just nice knowing that you have UNLIMITED POWER (Palpatine voice) at your disposal? I would think the nice thing about having the Plaid is just knowing that you can smoke anything on the road that's out there.
Depends on how you define "full power." If you mean full throttle, - ALL THE TIME. It's addictive, even if it's just 10-30, or 0-25, or even 40-70. It doesn't matter. It's amazing, and for me the primary reason to buy an S. The regular S for me at regular speeds is certainly quick (around the same as my old Model 3 Performance in the 0-60 range, and noticeably quicker above 60), but it's just not excitingly fast like the Plaid is. And yes, it's the doing and the knowing - that you can trounce anything you'd ever come across. I couldn't go back. Sad thing is, - it's unlikely my next car is as a quick as the Plaid so I may be forced to go back, boo!

And that's simply not true. It's true on a track, but not true on the street. I've slammed the brakes from...let's just say... rather high speeds.. in the name of science, and the car has no issue doing it. Would it have an issue doing it over and over? Sure it might/would! And do I care on the street? Not one bit!

I mean... ask yourself this? How many Plaids have ended up in a wall or crashing into a house or whatever? Haven't read of many/any, except a couple of track accidents. You'd think we'd be seeing wrecked Plaid pictures in every thread the way people talk about the brakes on this car..
Yeah I wish more people understood this. The braking performance is comparable to any other heavy high end sedan (M5 etc). What’s different is it can accelerate nearly as quickly as it can brake which scares some people. But that’s just physics when you’re traction limited in both directions. You have to plan your moves more carefully, much in the same way as you’d have to anticipate more when driving in rain, snow, etc.