Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am debating selling/trading a Ford F150 for a Model Y. Am I missing anything?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a Model S Plaid ('22) and a 2018 Ford F150. I am debating selling/trading the F150 for a Model Y -OR- selling/trading both cars and going back to 1 car as a Model X Plaid.

I've become so accustomed to the Model S and just having a Tesla in general that I do not want a gasoline vehicle anymore. My kids and I camp occassionally and I am somewhat indifferent to sedan vs. SUV style car.

I understand that these are first world problems but appreciate any experiences or input that I may be missing.

As a side note, I also recognize the difference in the S vs. 3 and the X vs. Y and that the Y may very well follow the update pattern into next year.....

I currently own a Model S Plaid ('22) and a 2018 Ford F150. I am debating selling/trading the F150 for a Model Y -OR- selling/trading both cars and going back to 1 car as a Model X Plaid.

I've become so accustomed to the Model S and just having a Tesla in general that I do not want a gasoline vehicle anymore. My kids and I camp occassionally and I am somewhat indifferent to sedan vs. SUV style car.

I understand that these are first world problems but appreciate any experiences or input that I may be missing.

As a side note, I also recognize the difference in the S vs. 3 and the X vs. Y and that the Y may very well follow the update pattern into next year.....

Unless you need the features of the Model X, I'd suggest the Model Y. And not necessarily the Performance, just the LR. While the LR doesn't have the performance of the performance or Plaid, it still has better performance than 99% of the vehicles on the road.
The Model Y is a great car. And it has better energy performance (kWh/mi) and is 2/3 the cost.

Reactions: BC-LR
Well you’re replacing a truck with a non-truck. Did you never use the bed of your truck? There had to have been a reason you bought a truck originally over a sedan or SUV.
At the time I wanted a 'higher' car and a 'lower' car. I got the truck around the time I had my M3, and traded that for the Model S. The bed of the truck was used for randomness.... I never needed it, was just good to have around at times... There's not even a scratch or dent on the bed liner...

Reactions: E90alex
You might be able to get away with a Model X as your ownly car. It is the most versitile of all the Tesla and would not only give you the pace and even more volume than your S, but give you the command driving position, and the ability to tow a trailer if you ever had that need.
Benefits of only having one car to insure, park and maintain. Less registration and annual fees as well. If you have a profitable small business you can take advantage of the significant Section 179 and accelerated depreciation. They have just been upgraded to better interiors with heated/cooled seats, better motors, batteries and faster charging speeds.
You will have an additional parking spot in your garage and plenty of space for camping gear. You can have your higher car and lower car at the same time with the air suspension.
Thinking way out of the box, perhaps even a CyberTruck Beast would serve your needs. Taking one for a 15 minute test ride would answer all your questions about that.

Reactions: BC-LR
I'd agree with ewoodrick. I got rid of a Honda Element for a MY-LR 7 seater with hitch. Does everything and more. Just rent a trailer for randomness that doesn't fit. I love it. The Model Y is great, by far the most fun vehicle I've ever owned. Handles all weather, fits the kids and there friends, can tow with tons of torque, mileage is great. That would be my vote. A used X is less then a new Y, but I've heard mixed reviews with the rear doors for ease of passengers etc. A plaid X would be sweet... But the MY is a great all rounder.

You might be able to get away with a Model X as your ownly car. It is the most versitile of all the Tesla and would not only give you the pace and even more volume than your S, but give you the command driving position, and the ability to tow a trailer if you ever had that need.
Benefits of only having one car to insure, park and maintain. Less registration and annual fees as well. If you have a profitable small business you can take advantage of the significant Section 179 and accelerated depreciation. They have just been upgraded to better interiors with heated/cooled seats, better motors, batteries and faster charging speeds.
You will have an additional parking spot in your garage and plenty of space for camping gear. You can have your higher car and lower car at the same time with the air suspension.
Thinking way out of the box, perhaps even a CyberTruck Beast would serve your needs. Taking one for a 15 minute test ride would answer all your questions about that.
No thinking out of the box, I already ordered a cyber beast…. lol

For the price of one X you can get two Y's... with the $5000 drop today.. Tesla is offering steep discounts on its Model Y SUV as it tries to clear out inventory. I don't qualify for the $7500 tax rebate, but if you lease everyone gets it, Lease is like $382 a month for the Long Range AWD... verses $1200 for an X. so my math was off, you could get 3 Model Y's for the monthly payment for one X...

Reactions: ewoodrick
For the price of one X you can get two Y's... with the $5000 drop today.. Tesla is offering steep discounts on its Model Y SUV as it tries to clear out inventory. I don't qualify for the $7500 tax rebate, but if you lease everyone gets it, Lease is like $382 a month for the Long Range AWD... verses $1200 for an X. so my math was off, you could get 3 Model Y's for the monthly payment for one X...
I took my own advice and went this morning and got one... delivery at 530 today. The sales rep sold five in the hour I was there..

Reactions: navguy12
True - but I am used to the features in my S and would expect that as in the X. I also like the display in front of me which is why I’d want to have my S or a new X. The Y would replace the truck.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
True - but I am used to the features in my S and would expect that as in the X. I also like the display in front of me which is why I’d want to have my S or a new X. The Y would replace the truck.
I kept my S too, for the same reasons, the Y is for my 22 YO son, his sister is going to be jealous, she is still driving my beater 2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid. I suspect we will be going back later in the month to dump the Ford for another Y.