Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Performance -- Impressions After First Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SSonnentag

埃隆•馬斯克
Apr 11, 2017
Arizona
After putting a little over 194,000 miles on my 2017 Model S 100D, I took Tesla's offer to transfer the free unlimited supercharging to a new Model Y.

I have only made one drive so far, 190 miles from the sevice center to my home.

2023 Tesla Model Y Performance, Red with White Interior

Pros:
  1. FSD Beta works MUCH better in the Y than it did in the S. I had zero instances of phantom braking. The S would have had 20+ instances in the same 190 miles.
  2. I love the slot HVAC. Its just so clean and simple and put air right where I want it.
  3. The horizontal screen orientation is really nice. The bottom corner of the screen in my S would irritate my knee.
  4. The car is so light and nimble compared to the S. It almost like it is riding on rails.
  5. No suspension rattles and clunks.
  6. No vibration under heavy throttle.
  7. The view is so much more open and unobstructed. I can't even see the hood at all, although I do like driving with my seat in the lowest position.
  8. Supercharging is SO much faster. Wow! It was predicting 26-80% in 20 minutes. I only needed to charge for 5 minutes to make it home. It really kinda irked me to have to pay $5 for supercharging though, since the FUSC transfer won't happen for 2-3 days. It's just a psychological thing since it was the first time I've had to pay to charge...ever. :D
  9. I like the pop-up "mirror" image when the turn signal is applied.
  10. Storage bins...everywhere! I love them!
  11. Phone for key. No more FOB. Win!
  12. Huge lower trunk space. Wow! More than the S, and probably the same as the X.
  13. The sun visors seem to be sized well, and block all unwanted sun without leaving gaps. Very nice.
  14. The ride, even with the 21" wheels and 35% sidewalls really isn't noticeably worse than my S was. I have 19" wheels on order that will be installed once this OEM set of tires wears out.

Cons:
  1. The seat isn't as comfortable as my S was. I think the head rest protrudes a bit too far forward, so my back is too hunched. I may have to find a thin pad of some sort.
  2. I miss the driver's screen. The info is available on the main screen in the Y, but not all at the same time as with the S/X.
  3. The steering wheel is too slippery. The leather wrapped wheel in my S had a much better feel.
  4. I like the cloth seat material I had in the S much better than the faux leather in the Y. The cloth breathes so much more.
  5. The in-cabin camera keeps nagging me to watch the road if I look at the center screen too long. It's quite annoying.
2023 Tesla Model Y Performance 2.jpg

More Pros:
  1. I really like the magnetic visor clasps. The clips in my S were so tight that my wife couldn't operate them without fear of ripping the entire visor off.
  2. The headlights are AMAZING! I do a lot of night driving, so these lights help my aging eyes tremendously.
  3. Rear 12V outlet! Yes! I just wish there was an easy way to keep power to it. I guess I need to read up on camp mode more. Can security be maintained while in camp mode? IDK
  4. Wireless phone charging is great! No more messy wires and tangles.
  5. The collapsible trunk cover is nice. It will take a bit of playing with to figure out the best way to quickly open and close it.
  6. The trunk side pockets are awesome as well! There's so much storage space in the Y!

Wish List
  1. Tesla really needs to motorize the frunk lid. At least it appears they've finally figured this out for the Cybertruck.

Reactions: TL:DR
More Pros:
  1. I really like the magnetic visor clasps. The clips in my S were so tight that my wife couldn't operate them without fear of ripping the entire visor off.
  2. The headlights are AMAZING! I do a lot of night driving, so these lights help my aging eyes tremendously.
  3. Rear 12V outlet! Yes! I just wish there was an easy way to keep power to it. I guess I need to read up on camp mode more. Can security be maintained while in camp mode? IDK
  5. The collapsible trunk cover is nice. It will take a bit of playing with to figure out the best way to quickly open and close it.
  6. The trunk side pockets are awesome as well! There's so much storage space in the Y!

Wish List
  1. Tesla really needs to motorize the frunk lid. At least it appears they've finally figured this out for the Cybertruck.
After putting a little over 194,000 miles on my 2017 Model S 100D, I took Tesla's offer to transfer the free unlimited supercharging to a new Model Y.

Pros:
  1. FSD Beta works MUCH better in the Y than it did in the S. I had zero instances of phantom braking. The S would have had 20+ instances in the same 190 miles.
  2. I love the slot HVAC. Its just so clean and simple and put air right where I want it.
  3. The horizontal screen orientation is really nice. The bottom corner of the screen in my S would irritate my knee.
  4. The car is so light and nimble compared to the S. It almost like it is riding on rails.
  7. The view is so much more open and unobstructed. I can't even see the hood at all, although I do like driving with my seat in the lowest position.
  8. Supercharging is SO much faster. Wow! It was predicting 26-80% in 20 minutes. I only needed to charge for 5 minutes to make it home. It really kinda irked me to have to pay $5 for supercharging though, since the FUSC transfer won't happen for 2-3 days. It's just a psychological thing since it was the first time I've had to pay to charge...ever. :D
  12. Huge lower trunk space. Wow! More than the S, and probably the same as the X.
  13. The sun visors seem to be sized well, and block all unwanted sun without leaving gaps. Very nice.
  14. The ride, even with the 21" wheels and 35% sidewalls really isn't noticeably worse than my S was. I have 19" wheels on order that will be installed once this OEM set of tires wears out.

Cons:
  1. The seat isn't as comfortable as my S was. I think the head rest protrudes a bit too far forward, so my back is too hunched. I may have to find a thin pad of some sort.
  2. I miss the driver's screen. The info is available on the main screen in the Y, but not all at the same time as with the S/X.
  3. The steering wheel is too slippery. The leather wrapped wheel in my S had a much better feel.
  4. I like the cloth seat material I had in the S much better than the faux leather in the Y. The cloth breathes so much more.
  5. The in-cabin camera keeps nagging me to watch the road if I look at the center screen too long. It's quite annoying.
View attachment 987141
Glad you're like your enjoying your new MYP. For me I was looking at purchasing a "permanent" pricey solution for summer driving as the glass roof heats things up especially the non-ventilated seats which I feel retain the heat better than my '11 MDX Advance leather seats which I came from.

I have decided to purchase third party covers next year as I'm going into winter now. I'll just remove them in the fall as I really find it shameful to cover up the roof as my kid loves seeing the rain scoot by thanks to RainX when not on the phone.

I already purchased a front window cover to help as well as the steering wheel retains a good amount of heat as well. With this car you'll spend more in accessories in a short time. Wife says I'm going to make this a 90K car with all the accessories I've purchased and plan to. 🤣

Reactions: elddum

Pros:

Cons:
View attachment 987141
That sure is a pretty red!

Pros:

Cons:
View attachment 987141
Great list. Thanks for putting it together! The wife and I have a 2023 MYP and a MYLR. Totally agree with your Pros but no basis of comparison for the cons. I’ve got 10k on my MYP and have loved driving every mile of it!

Reactions: SSonnentag
More Pros:

Wish List
You may want to consider an aftermarket power frunk kit. I DIYed them (Hansshow brand) on my MYP and the wife’s MYLR. They are well built and work with the Tesla app and physical button inside the frunk. Installing requires a bit of elbow grease but well worth it IMO.

I'm interested in how a MY performance handles if compared to a M3 performance or even a M3lr.

I have a 2022 M3lr and after a lifetime of sports cars or sports sedans I think it's the best handling car I've ever had.

The wait was long for any Model Y when I bought my current car and I don't remember there being a Performance version at the time.

I have not found that to be true. Did you check out TSportline? I put their 18" TS5 wheel set on mine and couldn't be happier. I will get Model Y LR range numbers or better and still have the Performance 0-60 time (or better because the wheels are lighter).
@Resist : Did you put 18" wheels on a MYP and get MYLR range or better? Or did you put 18" wheel on a MYLR and get MYP acceleration?