Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Even Trade-In from 2023 to 2024 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Model Y, LR 5-seat, Black w/ 20”, FSD, 10k miles, perfect condition

Checked Tesla trade in value and they’re offering $40k

A brand new 2024 inventory MY is $40k after the instant $7.5k discount. Only difference is 19” wheels. Would do FSD transfer.

I think it’s a no brainer - more valuable in the future, extra warranty, etc. No taxes since new car is technically $0.

I contacted Tesla and they said they don’t care about wheel size in the trade in values (they only ask for mileage and condition)

Some questions:
  1. Is their trade in estimate accurate? Car is in perfect condition. I don’t want to go through the hassle and them low ball me.
  2. Would they allow me to swap my 20” wheels and tires on my old car with the newly purchased car, and trade in my 2023 with the new 19” wheels and tires?
  3. Anything else I’m missing that might cost me $$?

• Love
Reactions: zoomer0056
I have a 2023 Model Y, LR 5-seat, Black w/ 20”, FSD, 10k miles, perfect condition

Checked Tesla trade in value and they’re offering $40k

A brand new 2024 inventory MY is $40k after the instant $7.5k discount. Only difference is 19” wheels. Would do FSD transfer.

I think it’s a no brainer - more valuable in the future, extra warranty, etc. No taxes since new car is technically $0.

I contacted Tesla and they said they don’t care about wheel size in the trade in values (they only ask for mileage and condition)

Some questions:
  1. Is their trade in estimate accurate? Car is in perfect condition. I don’t want to go through the hassle and them low ball me.
  2. Would they allow me to swap my 20” wheels and tires on my old car with the newly purchased car, and trade in my 2023 with the new 19” wheels and tires?
  3. Anything else I’m missing that might cost me $$?
That's a steel of a deal, wow!

• Love
Reactions: AMPd
personally, I wouldn’t bother. You might get the HW4 upgrade, but no other improvements. I suggest you wait until the juniper update comes out, which may offer some worthwhile improvements like M3 highland upgrade has. Juniper Y might be available later this year or early 25.
No other improvements? How about a longer remaining warranty? How about 10k less miles on the car? How about a year newer vehicle?

Tesla has essentially let OP rent the car for a year, free of charge. How is that not worthwhile?

No other improvements? How about a longer remaining warranty? How about 10k less miles on the car? How about a year newer vehicle?

Tesla has essentially let OP rent the car for a year, free of charge. How is that not worthwhile?
That’s essentially why I’m doing it. It will literally be the exact same car (I currently have HW4).

Only difference is new stealth gray.

Reactions: zoomer0056 and AMPd
How is that not worthwhile?
They could end up in a situation where the new car has a bunch of issues that take several visits to resolve and/or Tesla refuses to fix some because they are within spec, taking a bunch of time. And Tesla decides to not honor the FSD transfer for one reason (delivery date which OP doesn’t control) or another (this has happened to some people with the last transfer promo).

Not really advocating one way or another but that would make it not worthwhile

Last edited:
I am on the fence doing the same thing. Although my 2023 LR white with 8800 miles only got $34200 offer from Tesla. I think op caught a lucky bug here, that Tesla is valuing his FSD for about $6000 in the trade in, but also is going to transfer it to the new vehicle for free. It would be a no brainier if all works out.

Reactions: vickh and WyoDude