Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Even Trade-In from 2023 to 2024 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Checked Tesla trade in value and they’re offering $40k

A brand new 2024 inventory MY is $40k after the instant $7.5k discount.
The 2024's price is $47,500 before the federal tax credit. The trade offer is $40,000. The $7,500 difference is subject to sales tax. It is a credit, not a price reduction. Have you figured in the order fee and the delivery fee? This deal sounds almost to good to be true. Proceed with caution.

I just investigated and Tesla's trade in offer to me was $33,700. I could get a new blue LR AWD from inventory in my zip code for about $40,000 after tax credit. However, I would have to fork over $6,300 difference + $250 order fee + $1,390 delivery fee and I would be taxed on the $6,300 + $7,500. In total, I think I would be looking at about $9,000 to get a one year newer Model Y that would be just like the one I have.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeChicago
personally, I wouldn’t bother. You might get the HW4 upgrade, but no other improvements. I suggest you wait until the juniper update comes out, which may offer some worthwhile improvements like M3 highland upgrade has. Juniper Y might be available later this year or early 25.
If you believe Tesla they said no refresh until 2025 in the States. I'd expect Juniper mid-2025.

Well my experience last week was the original trade-in estimate given and the final approved trade-in was the same 21.3k for my 18' 3 LR with 50k miles and EAP. The estimate was just for average condition. After I sent pics of the exterior and interior, I'm sure they checked any repair history and accident checks everything passed was in order.

In January I bought a MYP with a MY3 2018 LR with 38k trade in. Thru the app they offered 22k dollars. When I received the final delivery details to pay the difference,it was 17k dollars. I went thru with the deal because it allowed me to drive until the pickup.

Depends on a state. In Illinois your trade in value is deducted from the purchase amount and you pay the difference
I know now. I had no idea. In Virginia (always lived here) the sales tax is due on the value of the new car, regardless of the trade-in or not. I did not know it is different in other states. Which is awesome! Makes trading in a car a very good value proposition.

Reactions: MikeChicago
Im trading in a ‘22 MYLR on a ‘24 MYLR, which is quite an improvement! It’s not an even trade but it’s a deal great enough that I can pay cash for it. My trade in estimate came in higher than what was initially given to me. I’m happy with what Tesla offered me.
Trust the Tesla trade-in estimate at your peril! My bet is this estimate will be appreciably lower at the point of delivery.

Reactions: Art138
Trust the Tesla trade-in estimate at your peril! My bet is this estimate will be appreciably lower at the point of delivery.
How is that going to work if the car is paid in full before the delivery appointment?!
Im picking my Tesla up on tribal land and everything has to be paid in full before the delivery appointment as it’s an express delivery center.

How is that going to work if the car is paid in full before the delivery appointment?!
Im picking my Tesla up on tribal land and everything has to be paid in full before the delivery appointment as it’s an express delivery center.
If you go to the delivery details on your app,proceed to account; where it says make you final payment it will have to say “ payment complete”. The payment details will show you at which price they accepted your trade in. In my case they lowered 5k when I went to pay the final price.

If you go to the delivery details on your app,proceed to account; where it says make you final payment it will have to say “ payment complete”. The payment details will show you at which price they accepted your trade in. In my case they lowered 5k when I went to pay the final price.
Tesla lowered the final trade-in value $5k from the original estimate? If that's the case, did they give a specific reason(s) why?