Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y Performance -- Impressions After First Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Resist : Did you put 18" wheels on a MYP and get MYLR range or better? Or did you put 18" wheel on a MYLR and get MYP acceleration?
Yes, I put 18" wheels on my MYP and am getting better range and am also getting better acceleration due to the lighter wheels. Tesla should have done this but they are more concentrated on the top end speed. I could care less about top end speed.

Great list. Thanks for putting it together! The wife and I have a 2023 MYP and a MYLR. Totally agree with your Pros but no basis of comparison for the cons. I’ve got 10k on my MYP and have loved driving every mile of it!
Can you tell much difference in the acceleration of the MYP. I have a 2021 MY with 40K miles. I have been thinking seriously about the Plaid. The author of the above post has me rethinking that. I have never driven a Model YP.

Can you tell much difference in the acceleration of the MYP. I have a 2021 MY with 40K miles. I have been thinking seriously about the Plaid. The author of the above post has me rethinking that. I have never driven a Model YP.
There’s a material difference in the feeling between the two cars. The MYLR is quick but the MYP is FAST. I considered MSP myself as the wife was going to take my Performance and let me upgrade. But in the end it would have been a tighter squeeze in the garage and another $35k. No doubt the MYP would be no comparison to the MSP but from my experience MYP is the perfect acceleration and size to allow me to zip around suburbia with more than enough cargo space to get what I need done.

I’d recommend test driving the MYP. It sold me as soon as I stepped on the accelerator.

Reactions: TL:DR
After putting a little over 194,000 miles on my 2017 Model S 100D, I took Tesla's offer to transfer the free unlimited supercharging to a new Model Y.

I have only made one drive so far, 190 miles from the sevice center to my home.

2023 Tesla Model Y Performance, Red with White Interior

Pros:
  1. FSD Beta works MUCH better in the Y than it did in the S. I had zero instances of phantom braking. The S would have had 20+ instances in the same 190 miles.
  2. I love the slot HVAC. Its just so clean and simple and put air right where I want it.
  3. The horizontal screen orientation is really nice. The bottom corner of the screen in my S would irritate my knee.
  4. The car is so light and nimble compared to the S. It almost like it is riding on rails.
  5. No suspension rattles and clunks.
  6. No vibration under heavy throttle.
  7. The view is so much more open and unobstructed. I can't even see the hood at all, although I do like driving with my seat in the lowest position.
  8. Supercharging is SO much faster. Wow! It was predicting 26-80% in 20 minutes. I only needed to charge for 5 minutes to make it home. It really kinda irked me to have to pay $5 for supercharging though, since the FUSC transfer won't happen for 2-3 days. It's just a psychological thing since it was the first time I've had to pay to charge...ever. :D
  9. I like the pop-up "mirror" image when the turn signal is applied.
  10. Storage bins...everywhere! I love them!
  11. Phone for key. No more FOB. Win!
  12. Huge lower trunk space. Wow! More than the S, and probably the same as the X.
  13. The sun visors seem to be sized well, and block all unwanted sun without leaving gaps. Very nice.
  14. The ride, even with the 21" wheels and 35% sidewalls really isn't noticeably worse than my S was. I have 19" wheels on order that will be installed once this OEM set of tires wears out.

Cons:
  1. The seat isn't as comfortable as my S was. I think the head rest protrudes a bit too far forward, so my back is too hunched. I may have to find a thin pad of some sort.
  2. I miss the driver's screen. The info is available on the main screen in the Y, but not all at the same time as with the S/X.
  3. The steering wheel is too slippery. The leather wrapped wheel in my S had a much better feel.
  4. I like the cloth seat material I had in the S much better than the faux leather in the Y. The cloth breathes so much more.
  5. The in-cabin camera keeps nagging me to watch the road if I look at the center screen too long. It's quite annoying.
View attachment 987141
Welcome aboard MYP bro
1699753126898.png

We love our vehicle one year later and many +1K drives

Great write up on your Y. We love our 23 MYP as well and it's our first. We have been a Porsche family forever and while waiting on a new Cayenne we thought let's give the Tesla a try. Wife loves the car and I do as well. 0 issues and I researched a lot and was nervous about what to expect but its been 3k flawless miles. Took it for paint correction (we do the same on the P cars too) ppf film and ceramic coating plus window tint. Knox Details always does a fantastic job. Did the 20% tint on front windows and 70% on front side glass to match the rear. Perfect. It's actually the first car we ever tinted the front glass but under advice we did it on the Tesla and it functions perfect. Tesla all Wx mats from to back and go drive. Will not be our last Tesla. Performance solid. Is it a 911 GT car? No but neither are any SUV nor are they designed to be, but it's very solid. Love the Michelin Sport Pilot 4S same tires we have ran before on other cars and they are awesome. So far can't say enough good things. Something not mentioned much is the sound quality of the Tesla audio. It is fantastic and is included!! No 5k upcharge for Bose or Burmeister and again it is very nice. We bought a model 3 Perf for one of our employees for a company car and he loves it as well. If you're on the fence about a Tesla...do it. For 55k less the incentives it is a NO brainer. Oh...and for a newbie all the questions we get are "how far can you go on a charge"? lol we were so nervous about range now one month later we charge it each night to 60-65% and charge up when needed.
IMG_0923.jpeg
IMG_0925.jpeg

I have not found that to be true. Did you check out TSportline? I put their 18" TS5 wheel set on mine and couldn't be happier. I will get Model Y LR range numbers or better and still have the Performance 0-60 time (or better because the wheels are lighter).
Better range due to lower circumference of wheel. Not wheel weight. Wheel weight make no difference in EV cars only ice cars it’s effects. Right now with year end clearance price difference between MYLR & MYP is only $1500. Bad side of MYP is the staggered set up. Go with square set up and you will be fine.

• Disagree
Reactions: mborkow and easyev
Great write up on your Y. We love our 23 MYP as well and it's our first. We have been a Porsche family forever and while waiting on a new Cayenne we thought let's give the Tesla a try. Wife loves the car and I do as well. 0 issues and I researched a lot and was nervous about what to expect but its been 3k flawless miles. Took it for paint correction (we do the same on the P cars too) ppf film and ceramic coating plus window tint. Knox Details always does a fantastic job. Did the 20% tint on front windows and 70% on front side glass to match the rear. Perfect. It's actually the first car we ever tinted the front glass but under advice we did it on the Tesla and it functions perfect. Tesla all Wx mats from to back and go drive. Will not be our last Tesla. Performance solid. Is it a 911 GT car? No but neither are any SUV nor are they designed to be, but it's very solid. Love the Michelin Sport Pilot 4S same tires we have ran before on other cars and they are awesome. So far can't say enough good things. Something not mentioned much is the sound quality of the Tesla audio. It is fantastic and is included!! No 5k upcharge for Bose or Burmeister and again it is very nice. We bought a model 3 Perf for one of our employees for a company car and he loves it as well. If you're on the fence about a Tesla...do it. For 55k less the incentives it is a NO brainer. Oh...and for a newbie all the questions we get are "how far can you go on a charge"? lol we were so nervous about range now one month later we charge it each night to 60-65% and charge up when needed. View attachment 992251View attachment 992252
Good luck
Our family photos
1701562765353.png

1701562781502.png

Better range due to lower circumference of wheel. Not wheel weight. Wheel weight make no difference in EV cars only ice cars it’s effects.
This is to true, weight makes a huge difference. Doesn't matter if it's ICE, EV or horses, anything that adds weight will reduce range. Also having the wheel weight closer to the center, 18" vs 21", is easier to spin just like how an ice skater can spin faster with their arms close to their body and can slow down extending their arms.

Reactions: flixden