Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Standard v Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An automatic transmission will kick down to a lower gear when conditions are right and you step on the gas. This gives you more torque and thus more acceleration (at the expense of higher RPM). S3XY Buttons copied this idea. If this feature is enabled and you are in Chill mode then when you step on the accelerator it switches to Standard or Sport, giving you more acceleration. So yes, it is like a sudden nitrous oxide boost.

TIP: I have to set to kick in when the pedal is depressed 90%. I original had it set to only kick in at 100% but that gave an emulation of turbo lag.
I understand. I wasn't thinking you was referring to an automatic transmission. Want to hear something funny. My Mom and Dad use to call this shifting of the transmission, "Passing gear". Yep, I was just a kid and knew nothing about this and well, made sense. Yep, passing gear.

I went from a 2016 Model S 75 to a 2018 Model 3 Pro and the ride quality, build quality and fit and finish are night and day between the two cars. The Model 3 Pro is fast as hell and that is probably the only reason I got it but for day in and day out driving the S was so much nicer. I would say if you can afford the S to go for it as the Y is much like the 3.

I owned a 2022 MYLR that I bought acceleration boost and currently have a 3 Performance I bought in January.

Performance only makes sense IMO if you will have the vehicle a long time and are the type who really loves every small bit of acceleration. Or you plan to use it at the track.

The long ranges are still crazy fast but a tad more practical.

Performances don't hold their value as well... cost about 5k more new and are only worth a few hundred bucks more in 2 years. Look up the values at KBB or any pricing site.

So my next MY or MX will not be a performance or plaid.

The 3 or S I would get the performance only because I'm the type to use it at the track. However with two kids I need an SUV instead.

For 98% of buyers I'd recommend the long range over performance or plaid.

I'm taking delivery of a Model Y Performance in a few days, going from a 2018 Long Range Model 3, with FSD. Initially I was going to get the Model Y Long Range and then add the Acceleration Boost, but after going over the numbers and watching the inventory prices drop, I decided to go with the Performance. I didn't want a lowered car, the reduced range or larger wheels but wanted the acceleration. What I'm going to do to get the range back is remove the stupid 12" low profile wheels, as the only benefit to them is top end speed. Otherwise they just reduce range and damage easily. I plan on putting on an 18" wheel package, which will give me more range, protection from pot holes and the sidewalls will stick out more to protect from curb rash. Plus, I think more sidewall on a tire just looks better. I wish Tesla would stop using low profile wheels.

I'm taking delivery of a Model Y Performance in a few days, going from a 2018 Long Range Model 3, with FSD. Initially I was going to get the Model Y Long Range and then add the Acceleration Boost, but after going over the numbers and watching the inventory prices drop, I decided to go with the Performance. I didn't want a lowered car, the reduced range or larger wheels but wanted the acceleration. What I'm going to do to get the range back is remove the stupid 12" low profile wheels, as the only benefit to them is top end speed. Otherwise they just reduce range and damage easily. I plan on putting on an 18" wheel package, which will give me more range, protection from pot holes and the sidewalls will stick out more to protect from curb rash. Plus, I think more sidewall on a tire just looks better. I wish Tesla would stop using low profile wheels.
Just wait until you see what 18” wheels look like on that Y. Waaaaay too small. Even the Geminis are too small and they’re 19”. 18” wheels won’t come close to filling the cavernous wheels wells on the Y. You can actually have Tire Rack‘s website show you how they’ll look on your car. I’d try that before committing.

Reactions: Gpa9504
Just wait until you see what 18” wheels look like on that Y. Waaaaay too small. Even the Geminis are too small and they’re 19”. 18” wheels won’t come close to filling the cavernous wheels wells on the Y. You can actually have Tire Rack‘s website show you how they’ll look on your car. I’d try that before committing.
eye of the beholder

Reactions: 455dan
You get taller tires to fill the wheel wells with 18" wheels.

I don't think you understand how this works. The gap will not change if you do it right.

Reactions: KMC_307 and 455dan
Well, I've seen the pictures and videos of the TSportline 18" wheels and they look great and not too small at all.

Sure thing
Do you really not understand?

1695955832852.png

Well to be a contrarian Many, Me included don't care for rubber banded wheels. As far as the line that a car needs a super low profile tire wheel to corner Have a look at an Indy cars tire aspect ratio.
Maybe i am just old and apparently Indy will be going to lower profile tires but I doubt it is because they actually handle better.
More likely to look like what sells to young consumers. The 18 inch winter tire / wheel combo definitely fills the wheel wells on my MYP

Reactions: Resist and Jaymc5
Well to be a contrarian Many, Me included don't care for rubber banded wheels.
Exactly! I hate rubber banded wheels and they should have never become a thing in the auto industry. In my day, beefy tires were the ticket. No one really cared about top end speed, it was about being quick, not curbing the rims and blowing out tires due to bad roads.

I have had a Model S from 2015-2018. I have had my Model 3 Long Range since 2018. My wife drives a Model Y, and I use it from time to time. I enjoyed the comfort and the refinement of the Model S, like the practicality of the Model 3, but find the Model Y ride and inside space ideal.

Now that Elon came up with transferring FSD to a new car by the end of September, I am seriously considering getting a Model Y right away and transferring my Model 3's FSD.

I have some hesitations regarding the following:
1) Will the range go up to 400 miles soon? Should I wait?
2) Will they change the body soon?
3) Why should I not go for a used 2020 used Model S, which is about the same price but has a 400-mile range? (granted no FSD transfer and no Fed tax break)
4) Everyone and their mother is driving a Y or a 3 right now. Every home in our 12 home cul-de-sac has either a Model Y or a Model 3 right now, except one.

Below are the issues that give me pause about the Performance model. The price difference is now minimal if you want nicer wheels on the Standard (especially if you buy discounted performance versions from existing inventory). I am scheduled to test drive a performance model soon.

1) The quality of the ride. I am told it is not as smooth as the regular Model Y.
2) The mileage is about 22 miles less.
3) It sits a bit lower, I am told.

I like the comfort and the refinement of the Model S but find the Model Y to be practical and at least 10K cheaper than a used 2020 Model S (If you account for tax credits).

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE IN MY SHOES? Which one would you go for (Model Y Standard, Performance or a 2020 used Model S)?
I got my wife the AWD LR Y, wish I did the Performance, but I love it and so does she. First car she's had that she texts me out of nowhere and says "I love me car!" The 2020 S can be upgraded to FSD, the Y is more fun to drive, the S feels more luxurious. The older vertical screen S feels a little "long in the tooth" to use an old expression...whatever that means, it just feels a bit old.

I got a red MYP in August, and I now have a little over 2,000 miles. I suggest the sweet spot is the long range with the $2,000 acceleration boost. You get most of the advantage of the MYP with more comfort and range of the MYLR (wheels, mostly) and save a few thousand.

I do love the MYP though, now that I'm getting used to the handling. I turned the steering to normal from sport, but chill mode didn't last long. Amazing blend of practicality and fun.

Reactions: easyev
You definitely made a great choice. If you had to compare the ride quality of the MYP versus the MYLR how much stiffer would it be percentage wise? My dealer is going to loan me one overnight to give it a try, just so I know what it’s all about, but your feedback would be appreciated. I hear the off-line performance is stellar, and that’s what Tesla guys love! 😍

You definitely made a great choice. If you had to compare the ride quality of the MYP versus the MYLR how much stiffer would it be percentage wise? My dealer is going to loan me one overnight to give it a try, just so I know what it’s all about, but your feedback would be appreciated. I hear the off-line performance is stellar, and that’s what Tesla guys love! 😍
My understanding is the MYP is superior off the line by a long shot compared to performance boost or long range, however, mid range acceleration (say 35mph - 60mph) is much less noticeable. I believe Carwow did a comparison on Model 3’s and this is what they found. Should be similar with MY I am guessing

"If you had to compare the ride quality of the MYP versus the MYLR how much stiffer would it be percentage wise?"

I have no idea as I've only ever ridden in my MYP and my nephew's Model 3. I was worried about the stiff suspension, but I was pleasantly surprised in July or August when I test drove a new MYP. The ride was fine! I then learned that Tesla had recently started putting 'comfort' suspension on the Model Y. I immediately placed an order. My MYP was received in late August, and the suspension is comfortable. The tires are probably not.