Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Impressions 2023 Model X LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently took delivery of a 2023 Model X LR 7 seater and here are my first impressions so far after 1 week of use including a 200 mi round trip in Southern California. I'll preface this by saying this is our third Tesla (currently own a '19 MS 100D and '22 3 Standard LFP) and that purchasing the X was sort of a last minute change since we were originally planning on getting an R1S for our growing family. I hope this is helpful to anyone who's interested in purchasing a new Model X LR and coming from an older S/X, model 3, also interested in an R1S, or anyone generally interested in knowing more about the refresh X LR from an owner's perspective.

Overall fit and finish

First, the fit and finish exceeded my expectations although I had very low expectations to begin with. Sure if I press down firmly on a few spots I can feel certain trim pieces or side molding flex a bit but no rattles or squeaks as far as I'm concerned. Not sure about panel gaps, it looks fine to me. No damage to the interior/exterior minus the back of the third row carpeting not sitting completely flush in the corner. Everything else appears well constructed and tightly fit.

Round steering wheel

Round steering wheel is fine but it does interfere with the dashboard visibility somewhat depending on your seating and steering height position. Some folks say it feels "thin" but I like it. It feels like the 3 in a good way where as the pre-refresh S felt overly big. I do see the weird vein in the middle of the wheel and thought that was only visible on the yolk. It's not a big deal.

Seat quality

Seats are comfortable enough and the cooled seats work great but I still think the 3 is a little more comfortable for my tush. The R1S felt better on the bottom but I like the way the X hugs on the sides and back. The white seats require more attention. Yes, we have kids and no I did not choose white but went with an inventory vehicle to get FUSD transferred before Dec 31 deadline. Hopefully the ventilated seats hold up (I read horror stories on TMC about the ventilated holes ripping) so fingers crossed.

Seat comfort ranking from best to worst:

1. 2022 Model 3
2. R1S (first impression)
3. 2023 Model X
4. 2019 pre-raven S

Regen

The regen is ok but slightly disappointing as I had high expectations coming from a S 100D that doesn't have one-pedal driving due to the AC induction front motor. Surprisingly, our RWD Model 3 has stronger regen. We live on a pretty steep hill and the 3 comes to a complete stop quicker than the X. I assume this is due to the overall heavier weight of the vehicle. Clearly my knowledge in physics is on par with a baby chimpanzee... The R1S has exceptional regen but I wasn't able to test how it performed on our steep hill.

X Windshield

The windshield is cool.

Falcon Wing Doors

The FWD are outstanding and my favorite feature (minus the attention they draw in public places) by far since we have little ones. I was worried since friends and folks on TMC have posted about their buggy behavior. We have a relatively low garage ceiling height and it has worked great so far. Recently we were in a tight parking spot and it worked flawlessly. Love it until it breaks and limited warranty expires.

Automatic Door entrance

The auto front door opening is... meh. I don't really care if they swing open all the way or only a few inches, and I can close the door myself (I'm already lazy enough). But it is odd that I have to wait a few seconds for the door motors to fully disengage before manually opening or closing the door. First world problems I suppose!

Auto Shift out of Park

On the other hand, one tech/software feature I do appreciate and very much enjoy using is the automatic reverse/drive after applying the brakes. I'm not sure if this is unique to the S/X or a new feature on all vehicles but it's pretty nice to use. It sounds gimmicky and probably pointless to many drivers, but for me this is the the one function where I prefer software over a physical stalk to switch out of park. It does require some override on occasion (e.g. wanting to go into drive when nothing is in front or behind the vehicle.

Swipe to reverse/drive function on the touchscreen is meh (unless used to override auto shift out of park). The optional touch button P R N D below the wireless charging function is ok but I have to apply the breaks pretty firmly for the P R N D lights to display.

Stalkless & driving functions

Turn signals take some getting used to but now they're fine. Prefer turn signal on stalks. I rarely use the horn so relocating the horn to a button on the side of the wheel doesn't bother me personally... Silently engaging TACC with the press of a scroll button is nice. Is that feature enabled on all S/3/X/Y cars now with the latest update?

Autopilot (HW 2.5, 3, 4)

Haven't used it on the X and don't use it anymore on the 3 or S. The few times I used autopilot on the model 3 (HW3) it was like having a micromanager repeatedly telling me everything I was doing wrong in life every 20 seconds. Then she would be silent for a while... Then I would slowly drift my eyes to the main screen or my phone without moving my face or body and immediately be yelled at again. I filed for divorce.

I very much enjoyed using AP (2.5) and EAP on the legacy S when on long road trips and used with a weighted AP buddy steering ring (feel free to yell away like mrs. AP) until they implemented the hands-free device detected warning in a software update in early '22. The arguments escalated and eventually, I filed for divorce.

Touchscreen swipe to reverse/drive function is meh. The optional touch button P R N D below the wireless charging function is ok but I have to apply the breaks pretty firmly for the P R N D lights to display.

Refresh frunk/subfloor cargo

Frunk/subfloor compartment space is not that much bigger than our pre-refresh S. A little bigger sure. Trunk/Subfloor divider feels cheap and is a little difficult to move around with the third row seats up.

S/X Refresh interior

Interior is nice. Simple, clean lines like the 3 and the visibility is excellent. The dashboard is one of the things I liked about the 3 over the legacy S so it's nice to see a similar design on the refresh S/X.

Instrument cluster (updated version 2023.44.1)

Like others have mentioned, it's a bit strange that you cannot customize the screen like you could on the legacy S/X cars. I liked having my tire pressure displayed on the right at all times. Seems like an easy thing to fix in software but I could be wrong... The upgraded instrument cluster screen is nice.

Suspension

Suspension is good. A little smoother than the older air suspension on our 100D but IMO it's not a night and day difference. Some might think disagree.

Accelleration

Fast enough. Compared with the S, the 100D feels faster off the line, but the X LR pulls harder especially from 30-60 mph. My foot has gotten [forced by wife to become] lighter over the past few years but I still like to keep up every once in a while and not get cut off by every aggressive driver. On paper the S100D (uncorked) 0-60 time is 3.7 and the X LR is 3.8. They both get blown out of the water by the M3 competition. Still a pretty quick soccer mom vehicle.

Other features

Homelink is nice. I forgot that feature is included with the S/X since it didn't come with the 3.
1 yr premium connectivity is nice. Can't remember if that came with the 3 or if it was only a month.

The supercharging speeds are outstanding compared to the older S/X. The lack of a charge port door light doesn't bother me. We charge the 3 at home but I assume the charging rate/speed of the 3/Y would be similar to the new S/X. Really impressive.

Third row passengers

The third row is a little tight for taller passengers (above 5 ft 10 in) and the middle seats pushed all the way forward but not uncomfortable even for longer trips. HVAC on the 3rd row pillar vents are very weak but my wife and 3 year old didn't complain on a 1 hour drive granted it was only 75 degrees outside (wife even requested that I turn off the AC even though it was on the lowest fan speed). I on the other hand prefer sitting in a blast chiller so this was the most disappointing feature on the X.

Range and Efficiency comparison (R1S vs. Model X)

The last thing I want to mention especially for anyone considering the X or R1S are the pros and cons for both vehicles when it comes to range and efficiency. The R1S has more real world range over the X so if you opt for the long range 352 mi pack you'll get very close to that EPA range. That is not the case with the X even with the AC off, on chill mode and driving under 70 mph... On the other hand, the X has a smaller battery pack (100 kWh vs 135 kWh) resulting in lower cost of charging for those without solar.

Either way, both vehicles are great. Hopefully this helps. Good luck!

39912982353_e8f5841c98_b.jpg

"Tesla Model X" by crash71100 is marked with CC0 1.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

Thanks for the writeup! Out of curiosity, what does the auto gear select do if you’re in a parking space and the space in front of you is empty meaning you can either back out or pull through? In these situations I typically pull through but depending on the situation one may want to back out.

Your description of the stalkless functions (turn signals and gear shifting) just confirms to me that it’s a solution in search of a problem, and an inferior one at that. I’ll keep the stalks on my MY, thank you!

Thanks for the writeup! Out of curiosity, what does the auto gear select do if you’re in a parking space and the space in front of you is empty meaning you can either back out or pull through? In these situations I typically pull through but depending on the situation one may want to back out.

Your description of the stalkless functions (turn signals and gear shifting) just confirms to me that it’s a solution in search of a problem, and an inferior one at that. I’ll keep the stalks on my MY, thank you!
In that case I would just override the selection by swiping up to go forward or select the D on the digital gear selector. It’s not perfect but works most of the time.

How do you have your Homelink configured? What brand opener? Did you need a subscription to use it?
On my MY Homelink was an additional aftermarket purchase (https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3_y-automatic-garage-opener) that had to be installed/activated by Tesla mobile service. After that there's no subscription; it's essentially an integrated multi-brand garage door opener that's more secure because it can't be stolen and doesn't work if the car's not on.

(a few years ago BMW tried creating a subscription model for features like heated seats so it would theoretically be possible to do the same with Homelink but BMW got so much blowback that they abandoned it so I doubt that will happen.)

Nice writeup, thanks for sharing. I had a 2019 Model X Performance Ludicrous (Raven) and now have a 2021 Model S Plaid with 33k miles. Ventilated seat holes are perfect so far (beige interior) and greatly add to comfort in warmer conditions. Adding to that, the pleather in the newer cars feels softer with more texture (and aforementioned ventilation) which means that after 3 hours of seat time it's much, much more comfortable. The one thing I wish the refresh cars had was extendable thigh support, the seats just don't come out far enough. It's a minor quibble, but it is missed. Also the ambient lighting game is pretty weak on the newer cars compared to the competition.

That said, the kids like the rear seat screen (we have the smaller one from when it was first introduced) and the ability to control the front passenger seat from the rear has come in surprisingly handy for them.

All in all, I find the refresh model better put together. It's quieter inside (noise cancelling plus double-paned glass), fewer to no squeaks and rattles and it just feels more solid - and I have an early refresh build from Sept 2021. With 33k on the clock now, it's pretty much like new so I think you'll get a good run out of the X.

BTW, we never had a problem with the Falcon Wing Doors, seems to be hit and miss as to whether you get one with issues or not.

Reactions: henderrj
Nice writeup, thanks for sharing. I had a 2019 Model X Performance Ludicrous (Raven) and now have a 2021 Model S Plaid with 33k miles. Ventilated seat holes are perfect so far (beige interior) and greatly add to comfort in warmer conditions. Adding to that, the pleather in the newer cars feels softer with more texture (and aforementioned ventilation) which means that after 3 hours of seat time it's much, much more comfortable. The one thing I wish the refresh cars had was extendable thigh support, the seats just don't come out far enough. It's a minor quibble, but it is missed. Also the ambient lighting game is pretty weak on the newer cars compared to the competition.

That said, the kids like the rear seat screen (we have the smaller one from when it was first introduced) and the ability to control the front passenger seat from the rear has come in surprisingly handy for them.

All in all, I find the refresh model better put together. It's quieter inside (noise cancelling plus double-paned glass), fewer to no squeaks and rattles and it just feels more solid - and I have an early refresh build from Sept 2021. With 33k on the clock now, it's pretty much like new so I think you'll get a good run out of the X.

BTW, we never had a problem with the Falcon Wing Doors, seems to be hit and miss as to whether you get one with issues or not.
I completely agree with every statement Carsly2. I still love my non-performance S and it feels even zippier and more nimble after driving the X haha. Say, do you ever miss the X windshield now that you're in the S? I was driving in downtown LA the other day and it was quite enjoyable driving in the city when I can see all the way to the top of every building in sight.

I completely agree with every statement Carsly2. I still love my non-performance S and it feels even zippier and more nimble after driving the X haha. Say, do you ever miss the X windshield now that you're in the S? I was driving in downtown LA the other day and it was quite enjoyable driving in the city when I can see all the way to the top of every building in sight.
Honestly? No, I don't miss the windshield of the X at all. I prefer being able to see the hood of the S when I drive, I could never see the hood of the X given the super-deep dash and steep rake of the short hood. Also sitting a little higher up in the X felt awkward, almost minivan-like, and the car felt unsettled in handling maneuvers with more weight up high relative to the S. The S is no BMW M5, but the X is more Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey in the bends and I just didn't like that road feel (or lack thereof).

Reactions: Bixby MS
Honestly? No, I don't miss the windshield of the X at all. I prefer being able to see the hood of the S when I drive, I could never see the hood of the X given the super-deep dash and steep rake of the short hood. Also sitting a little higher up in the X felt awkward, almost minivan-like, and the car felt unsettled in handling maneuvers with more weight up high relative to the S. The S is no BMW M5, but the X is more Toyota Sienna or Honda Odyssey in the bends and I just didn't like that road feel (or lack thereof).
The handling is substantially better on the S
Great write up. I had very similar impressions of the Model X I've picked up a little while ago.
I'm noticing a few more flaws and quirks on week 3 which I expected would happen. Are you coming from an older S/X as well?

Whether you have a smaller or bigger battery isn’t a factor in electricity costs. That comes from how efficient a vehicle is.

And, Tesla is allowing transfer of FUSD to still happen with a delivered Tesla after the new year as long as it was ordered before the end of this year. Not that it matters in your situation now.

….and this is exactly why they should‘ve kept the stalks. Don’t ‘fix’ something that isn’t broken.
Tesla probably just wanted to cut cost. My understanding is they were paying patent royalties to Mercedes Benz (or directly buying from them) for the turn signal and drive stalks.

"Let's just replace those MB stalks with buttons, guys! Problem solved!" Financially maybe... convenience wise it brings all new issues.

Realistically though, I did a 20 minute test drive and found it pretty intuitive and was used to the change by the end of the demo.

Tesla probably just wanted to cut cost. My understanding is they were paying patent royalties to Mercedes Benz (or directly buying from them) for the turn signal and drive stalks.

"Let's just replace those MB stalks with buttons, guys! Problem solved!" Financially maybe... convenience wise it brings all new issues.

Realistically though, I did a 20 minute test drive and found it pretty intuitive and was used to the change by the end of the demo.
Have had the car for almost a week. Prefer the stalks but not a big deal. The main annoying thing that will linger is the HighBeam button (can't HighBeam to "thank" someone for letting me turn when the wheel is already turned) and the horn not being in the center.

Reactions: EvoL
Have had the car for almost a week. Prefer the stalks but not a big deal. The main annoying thing that will linger is the HighBeam button (can't HighBeam to "thank" someone for letting me turn when the wheel is already turned) and the horn not being in the center.
Yeah could totally see that being frustrating. I use high beams the same way and I can just imagine hammering the center of the steering wheel and getting more pissed because the horn didn’t blow, lol. Someone else said having the horn as an inconvenient button may allow some time to reflect before actually blowing the horn. As a psychologist, I thought that was great!

Reactions: shaia8
Yeah could totally see that being frustrating. I use high beams the same way and I can just imagine hammering the center of the steering wheel and getting more pissed because the horn didn’t blow, lol. Someone else said having the horn as an inconvenient button may allow some time to reflect before actually blowing the horn. As a psychologist, I thought that was great!
If your first reaction is to honk the horn and you need time to think then you probably need to do some introspection and self evaluation.