Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 to 2024: Did they fix...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 MX 100D owner here (previously a 2014 MS P85). 96K miles. No issues to complain of for the past few years. Going along in life happily wondering if the future holds a CT, an R1S, or something else...but nothing to worry about. BUT THEN: transfer FSD, transfer FUSC, $1K CT deposit discount, tax credit.... Quite the incentives. For the past week I've fought the "I should upgrade but I don't need to..." thoughts. A few questions for recent year owners:
  • I'll say it up front. Our family hates the falcon wing doors. They've hit people. They take too long to open. My kids think they are embarrassing. Sometimes accumulated rain pours in when they open. They've refused to open. One time we we rushing out somewhere and one refused to close...so much so that the only way to fix it was to disconnect the 12V battery. But the single biggest issue I've had was with the phantom detection on hot/sunny days. I've had the ultrasonic sensors in the doors replaced multiple times and was told that when the sun bakes a door the materials heat/warp throwing phantom obstructions. The first time my sensors were replaced they said my glue had melted and the sensor had moved. At this point if it's a hot/sunny day we just know that the side facing the sun if parked for awhile likely won't open. QUESTION: I know the doors haven't changed much since 2017 but what's the sensor situation? I saw a post somewhere suggesting that they added new/additional sensors to the doors? Do they use the cameras now? I've said all along if there was a new MX with traditional doors I'd jump on it but if I'm considering getting a replacement MX with the same doors I'm hoping they are are at least A BIT less buggy.
  • There's only one thing I hate more than the falcon wing doors. The second row. We have an original 7 seat model with the monopost seats. Not being able to fold seats down (especially as a skier) is so frustrating/annoying. Also, those monopost seats have hefty seat backs meaning that the 3rd row is basically unusable. Even though we have 3 kids, we've used the 3rd row surprisingly little as everyone hates sitting back there with no leg room and limited visibility. QUESTION: Do the new folding second row seats give the 3rd row any additional legroom? I'm considering going the tax credit version with 5 seats...it would feel better doing that if I knew that the current 3rd row is as tight as the one in my 2017. (Plus kids are all teenagers now so the seating is extra tight). 6 seat is not an option for us.
  • Vibration when accelerating: unfortunately sounds like this is still happening.
I'll admit I'm tempted by the updated motors, updated interior, having a warranty again, etc...

39912982353_e8f5841c98_b.jpg

"Tesla Model X" by crash71100 is marked with CC0 1.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
2017 MX 100D owner here (previously a 2014 MS P85). 96K miles. No issues to complain of for the past few years. Going along in life happily wondering if the future holds a CT, an R1S, or something else...but nothing to worry about. BUT THEN: transfer FSD, transfer FUSC, $1K CT deposit discount, tax credit.... Quite the incentives. For the past week I've fought the "I should upgrade but I don't need to..." thoughts. A few questions for recent year owners:
  • I'll say it up front. Our family hates the falcon wing doors. They've hit people. They take too long to open. My kids think they are embarrassing. Sometimes accumulated rain pours in when they open. They've refused to open. One time we we rushing out somewhere and one refused to close...so much so that the only way to fix it was to disconnect the 12V battery. But the single biggest issue I've had was with the phantom detection on hot/sunny days. I've had the ultrasonic sensors in the doors replaced multiple times and was told that when the sun bakes a door the materials heat/warp throwing phantom obstructions. The first time my sensors were replaced they said my glue had melted and the sensor had moved. At this point if it's a hot/sunny day we just know that the side facing the sun if parked for awhile likely won't open. QUESTION: I know the doors haven't changed much since 2017 but what's the sensor situation? I saw a post somewhere suggesting that they added new/additional sensors to the doors? Do they use the cameras now? I've said all along if there was a new MX with traditional doors I'd jump on it but if I'm considering getting a replacement MX with the same doors I'm hoping they are are at least A BIT less buggy.
  • There's only one thing I hate more than the falcon wing doors. The second row. We have an original 7 seat model with the monopost seats. Not being able to fold seats down (especially as a skier) is so frustrating/annoying. Also, those monopost seats have hefty seat backs meaning that the 3rd row is basically unusable. Even though we have 3 kids, we've used the 3rd row surprisingly little as everyone hates sitting back there with no leg room and limited visibility. QUESTION: Do the new folding second row seats give the 3rd row any additional legroom? I'm considering going the tax credit version with 5 seats...it would feel better doing that if I knew that the current 3rd row is as tight as the one in my 2017. (Plus kids are all teenagers now so the seating is extra tight). 6 seat is not an option for us.
  • Vibration when accelerating: unfortunately sounds like this is still happening.
I'll admit I'm tempted by the updated motors, updated interior, having a warranty again, etc...
I was always annoyed by my 2016 X's FWD - they were finicky and hesitant and usually would not fully open. I was happy to see that my 2024 FWD open much more quickly and fully so far.

Reactions: F123456
I have a ‘23 MX and previously a ‘22 MX. Both cars have had their quirks but the fwd’s have worked quite well overall, although not perfect. I drove an older MX loaner once and it felt so clunky in comparison. The refresh model is faster, more efficient, and the interior is vastly improved.

Reactions: csrpenfab
Be careful. Traded 2016 MX 100D (no problems, great vehicle) for 2024 MX Plaid. In shop 4 times for know defect of vibrating front half-shafts. Contacted Tesla per the sales contract for arbitration since service said they no longer are replacing any parts. No response so taking to state AG. Third Tesla, poor response from corporate.

Be careful. Traded 2016 MX 100D (no problems, great vehicle) for 2024 MX Plaid. In shop 4 times for know defect of vibrating front half-shafts. Contacted Tesla per the sales contract for arbitration since service said they no longer are replacing any parts. No response so taking to state AG. Third Tesla, poor response from corporate.
unfortunately this is the norm until they get some balls and kick felon out

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA