Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 X100D - Serious problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time poster, long time watcher. Be gentle with me! I'm hoping the learned folks on here can help. I'm in the UK, in Cambridgeshire. In addition to my Tesla I also have a VW California camper van and an Aston Martin Vantage Roadster. I know my way around cars and I'm pretty good with technology.

In February this year I bought a late 2017 Model X 100D from a used car dealer. A few weeks after getting it home it started behaving strangely. The car dealer is being helpful and rejecting the car is the last thing I want to do, so I'm looking for technical assistance rather than legal assistance, if that makes sense.

While my wife was driving one night (dark, wet, miserable weather), the lights cut out, the wipers stopped, the indicators stopped working, though the car remained drivable. Lots of errors on the screen. She was able to make it home.

embed

I got Tesla involved (not easy as I didn't have the app at that point) and eventually an inspection was booked at my local service centre. They couldn't find the problem, but suggested a 12v battery would be sensible, but couldn't fit one at the time due to not having one in stock.

Fast forward to Monday this week and the engineer turned up and replaced the battery. I took the car out for a drive (dry, sunny) and it seemed fine. I drove the car a day or so later to take my son to Scouts (dark, wet, miserable) and issues appeared again. It also locked me out of the car despite the car appearing to be on - displays lit, stereo playing, heating running, I just couldn't open the doors. I tried locking and unlocking via the key, nothing, and the same from the app, nothing. The only thing that did seem to make a difference was turning off the HVAC from the app. This seemed to 'kick' the systems somehow and I was able to get in.

embed

Locked out video

The short journey home (dark, not wet) after this locking out episode saw a return of the issues my wife experienced, but to me, so I was able to see in addition to losing the lights, wipers and indicators, it also reported that "Authentication was required" despite both the key and my phone being in the car with me. I pulled over and rebooted, restored functionality, only to have the same thing happen again 200 yards further up the road.

Some shots of the error messages generated.

embed

embed

I also got a message about "Power braking assist reduced", a message I'd not seen before or since.

embed

embed

The weird thing is that these issues are not persistent. I've just been out to the car now, and no errors are showing on the screen at all. All seems well.

A strange thing though is clicking I can hear coming from the rear when I open the car and sit down. It disappears when I turn on the heating, and even if I turn off the heating again, it stays off. Video of this below.

Weird clicking, goes away when turn on heating

Other things worth knowing

I have a seven seater Model X, and there is an issue where the seat behind the driver (right hand side of the car) doesn't slide all the way forward to permit access to the third row, unlike the seat behind the passenger (left hand side). Tesla are aware of this and supposably it needs further investigation.

I have replaced the battery in the key with a brand new one of the correct size. I got the authentication error messages even with the fresh battery in the key.

For some reason, I am unable to change the name of the vehicle from the MCU. That option is greyed out. Reported to Tesla.

I've also occasionally experienced issues with the charge port not opening from my Tesla home charger, with the error being reported as "Charge port door sensor fault", though this comes and goes, and currently, has gone.

At the moment the car appears to be fine - it drives ok and responds as you'd expect, with no weird messages, but trust in it is certainly limited and I daren't risk a long drive. My feeling is that there's some underlying issue behind all these problems (loose connection? bad module?), especially given they come and go, but I'm hoping the experts on here can help identify what it might be. My worry is that Tesla will replace the parts that have generated errors, despite these probably being fine.

Any assistance very, very gratefully received, and if more information would be useful, please let me know. Thanks.

Wow, nice job on the write up. I have a 2017 X100D myself.

Aisde: Today just had the half-shafts replaced for the parts-only cost (USD $350). Note I did have to complain about their USD $183 diagnostic fee which I finally got them to remove. SB-21-39-001 R1 / 2021-09-21 / Toolbox article 6013200 for Customer Pay billing instructions / https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10203323-9999.pdf

Regarding your situation.
a) Sometimes the errors in the Service Mode show more details.

b) Re: authentication... I may be off here but a MicroSD card memory 'card' runs out of room or gets write errors and needs to be replaced on a board on the MCU1.
My vague memory that if it was not caught in time then the authentication info on that card had to be rebuilt. Some 3rd parties could do it.
Recall info: https://www.tesla.com/support/8gb-emmc-recall-frequently-asked-questions
Consolidated thread: Wiki - Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)
Other thread:
HTH a little. Cheers!

Another video on YT ()there is a video in the link above):

@Odysseus007, wow that is a long list of things. I also have a late 2017 100D, 7 seater, black. Like @scottf200, first thing I wonder about is your MCU status. If it is MCU1 did it have eMMC chip replaced, or even better, has it been upgraded to MCU2? My car often had a wide array of varying issues before it got MCU2.

I also had the problem where one of the rear seats did not slide as it was supposed to. Attaching my service description of the problem and their fix.
IMG_7649.jpeg

@Odysseus007, wow that is a long list of things. I also have a late 2017 100D, 7 seater, black. Like @scottf200, first thing I wonder about is your MCU status. If it is MCU1 did it have eMMC chip replaced, or even better, has it been upgraded to MCU2? My car often had a wide array of varying issues before it got MCU2.

I also had the problem where one of the rear seats did not slide as it was supposed to. Attaching my service description of the problem and their fix.
View attachment 1030837
Thanks friend. How much did the seat fix cost?

i think i've seen another thread with authentication issue.. can't recall what the fix was
i'm gonna suggest that maybe this is the body ecu issue, since that is what is responsible for fob n generic car things like lights, doors, brakes...
although its strange u don't have any errors for it..

Reactions: Odysseus007
First go to the 'secret' service menu and see what all the alerts are (not just the user-facing alerts you see).

Could be a CAN-bus issue if multiple, seemingly unrelated components are failing at the same time. They could be on the same communication network.
right on, totally spaced out those were customer facing alert pics
need to see what is in service mode alerts

Hello only posting as the lights and wipers going out is something that happened to my on my Y.

It was a broken headlight crack from some unknown road debris allowing water in to some internal electrical housing for these controls. If you have a lot of rain I wonder if you have some hidden water intrusion.

Just spitballing.

Thanks all. The body ECU suggestion certainly sounds plausible given all the issues appear and disappear. I’m assuming the body control module has multiple connections to it and perhaps one of the CAN connections is faulty and causing my alerts.

I’ll take some pictures of the secret service menu and update this thread soon.

Did the links to my videos work?

A lovely bright spring morning, perfect for sitting in your faulty Tesla staring at the screen. Pictures from the service menu (thanks for the tip) below.

embed

I went into the service alert page, and this is what I got. I've expanded all the tabs so the information can be read. This is the "Service-Fix" section.

embed

Interestingly, the cabin heater alert is dated 'now', as in when I unlocked and sat in the car - you can see the clock in the top right.

This is the the "Customer" section. Interesting that it's logged loads of issues on March 7th, two weeks ago from the time of writing, despite the issues that occurred on Wednesday 20th March, just three days ago.

embed

I looked in the other service menus, and to my untrained eye they seemed normal enough, all green lights, no amber or red ones, with the exception of this one.

embed

I already updated the battery in one of the keys (the one we use) and carefully filed the other key, which I knew worked, into the box file containing all the Tesla paperwork. Worth updating this battery as well I'm assuming?

Does this information add any more credibility to the body ECU idea?

Does the clicking noise that goes away when I turn the heater on indicate a fault? Here's the video again as I think the link didn't work in my first post.

As ever, all assistance extremely gratefully received.

Sat in the car with my four year old this afternoon - he was amused making it fart - while I googled error messages. I know how to live. While sat there on the drive (bright, sunny, dry), these alerts popped up. I went into the service menu and captured the following.

You can see these alerts are dated today (24th March) with the other, older alerts (7th March) still present.

embed

Interestingly, I did have a situation where there were more "ALERTS TO CHECK" but all but one disappeared before I could capture it on my phone, maybe these were the alerts shown on the screen, who knows?

After an hour or so sitting in the car mucking about, I'm now indoors and the car is locked (mirrors folded in and everything). Despite this, the screens are still lit. Is that normal?!

embed

Finally, if anyone is curious what a greyed out "Name Your Vehicle" option looks like, see below.

embed

Finally, if anyone is curious what a greyed out "Name Your Vehicle" option looks like, see below
Here is a thread with someone else with grayed out name. My takeaway was that Tesla needs to reset something to let you rename it.

Trouble Registering 2016 Model X we just purchased

I'm now indoors and the car is locked (mirrors folded in and everything). Despite this, the screens are still lit. Is that normal?!
No, not normal!

Sat in the car with my four year old this afternoon - he was amused making it fart - while I googled error messages. I know how to live. While sat there on the drive (bright, sunny, dry), these alerts popped up. I went into the service menu and captured the following.

You can see these alerts are dated today (24th March) with the other, older alerts (7th March) still present.

embed

Interestingly, I did have a situation where there were more "ALERTS TO CHECK" but all but one disappeared before I could capture it on my phone, maybe these were the alerts shown on the screen, who knows?

After an hour or so sitting in the car mucking about, I'm now indoors and the car is locked (mirrors folded in and everything). Despite this, the screens are still lit. Is that normal?!

embed

Finally, if anyone is curious what a greyed out "Name Your Vehicle" option looks like, see below.

embed
You have a bunch of different modules reporting MIA at the same time. That points to an issue with the communication network, either bad wiring somewhere or a bad module bringing down the whole network. Short of just magic guessing you are not going to be solve this one. I'd take it into Tesla and have them diagnose the issue. I know it's expensive, but...

You have a bunch of different modules reporting MIA at the same time. That points to an issue with the communication network, either bad wiring somewhere or a bad module bringing down the whole network. Short of just magic guessing you are not going to be solve this one. I'd take it into Tesla and have them diagnose the issue. I know it's expensive, but...

Rodents chewing up the wiring?

Thanks for the responses all. I was never going to attempt any of these repairs myself, but by crowd sourcing the knowledge of people better informed than me about the Model X, I'm better able to instruct Tesla what's going on. I've already included a link to this thread in the Service booking I'm trying to arrange.

As ever, all ideas/thoughts/suggestions welcomed.

Thanks for the responses all. I was never going to attempt any of these repairs myself, but by crowd sourcing the knowledge of people better informed than me about the Model X, I'm better able to instruct Tesla what's going on. I've already included a link to this thread in the Service booking I'm trying to arrange.

As ever, all ideas/thoughts/suggestions welcomed.
Haha... I know you're trying to help, but please don't mention what you read on a forum in your service ticket. I used to work as a professional mechanic and believe me, nothing is more irritating. By all means provide as much data as you can, but the professionals do not want to hear the opinions of internet experts.