Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking to Purchase New 2024 Model S or Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I just joined this forum and the information here is amazing! While I'm going through so many posts, I have a few questions and hoping you can help me make an informed decision based on the below points:

1- I hear there are tire wear issues on the Model S Plaid. Are these only on the Plaid, or do they also exist on the regular Model S? If they're on the Plaid, I plan to buy one with the 19 inch rims, so does this issue still apply?
2- Is build quality more or less the same for Plaid vs Long Range? Somehow I see more issues on the Plaid?
3- I don't know about previous prices, but in my country, Plaid is now less than $12500 USD difference between S and Plaid. Assuming this difference, and having test driven the Plaid, is it now more worth it than before?
4- How is resale / trade in between Long Range and Plaid?

As you can likely tell,, I'm leaning towards the Plaid, but just would love to have these clarifications so I can decide accordingly. Thank you all!

“Model s or plaid” .. I’m assuming you mean long range vs plaid.

1- Can’t speak too much on this as I haven’t seen any tire issues being mentioned on here, 21s do wear out faster and aren’t as durable but that’s not really an “issue” it’s just how it is.

2- Where are you seeing more issues with the plaid than a long range? They’re assembled on the same line, I don’t see how a plaid could have worse build quality than a long range.

3- Worth is subjective. What’s worth it to you may not be worth it to the next person. Only you can make that decision.

4- I don’t know for certain but I imagine depreciation % will be about the same. But that’s a hard prediction because Tesla constantly adjusts prices.

“Model s or plaid” .. I’m assuming you mean long range vs plaid.

1- Can’t speak too much on this as I haven’t seen any tire issues being mentioned on here, 21s do wear out faster and aren’t as durable but that’s not really an “issue” it’s just how it is.

2- Where are you seeing more issues with the plaid than a long range? They’re assembled on the same line, I don’t see how a plaid could have worse build quality than a long range.

3- Worth is subjective. What’s worth it to you may not be worth it to the next person. Only you can make that decision.

4- I don’t know for certain but I imagine depreciation % will be about the same. But that’s a hard prediction because Tesla constantly adjusts prices.
Thank you for your response. I'm very confused and hopefully will decide and pull the trigger tonight!

The difference in price on the US website is $15,000. When choosing between the LR and Plaid, consider the difference in range if that matters to you: 405 for the LR vs. 359 for the Plaid, using the default wheels for each. That’s one of the reasons I chose the LR, which I use for road trips.

Thank you for your response. I'm very confused and hopefully will decide and pull the trigger tonight!
You got the answers already, what confuses you?

Plaid is fast. That quick acceleration is expensive.

Expensive car costs more to maintain: a tire for GM Bolt is much cheaper than Plaid's.

You see how professional cars on a race track keep changing their tires. It's expected due to quick acceleration and not an "issue."

You should buy Plaid because you love the acceleration and not because it's a good investment. It loses its value as soon as you sign the delivery paperwork.

There's no confusion about it.

Reactions: AMPd