Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleeping with the Enemy!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You will probably sell most of the ICE cars as they consume insurance, fuel and registration money. If you're considering this, then do it sooner rather than later.

I had an EV and ICE simultaneously for a while. Should have sold the ICE immediately---it stopped passing smog and became a needless time and money sink. The best time to sell is when they're looking good and working well.

Think about doing something fun with the insurance and depreciation money you save in equivalent---year over year---and see which decision makes you feel happier when you imagine them both.
You may be right, but on the other hand in twenty years I bet that tesla is long since junked. Some of the last V8s to roll off the line now are going to to be notorious in coming decades as we're treated to the violent roar of their engines.

Reactions: Cheburashka
I thought I’d say HI as a new member. I’m a life long car nut, not actually a ‘save the world’ with EVs guy lol. But I am genuinely excited to learn so much about my 2024 Tesla Model S Plaid from you all. Feel free to point me to informative posts you feel I should read to learn more about the S plaid. Its my first EV, but I still have my horrendous gas guzzlers. I bought this car last week because the stats of the Tesla Plaid S are undeniable. I look to make meaningful contributions to this forum, but only after I get educated by it.

So HI to all and here are my current cars, you can see them all eyeballing the Tesla lol

View attachment 1036386
View attachment 1036387
I’m also a lifelong MOPAR man at heart; From my first 69 Roadrunner and 70 HEMIcuda.. No longer have them 😬 but happy to say that, Tesla performance have filled my heart evermore.

Last edited:
But it’s iffy for new Tesla owners. You benefit from reading the entire car manual, probably twice.
+1. I’ve referred to the manual several times. Teslas are a little different, but I like most of the differences once I’ve learned. Feels odd now to drive my wife’s hybrid now, my MY is simpler…

Nice collection OP!

I’m also a lifelong MOPAR man at heart; From my first 69 Roadrunner and 70 HEMIcuda.. No longer have them 😬 but happy to say that, Tesla performance have filled my heart evermore.
Not going back . Bang for bucks and performance peace of mind plaid is the way to go . I had several cars 1000+ hp and since i got my plaid i dont even miss them . Only thing next would be roadster or plaid plus for me .

Love them blown hellcat engines! Got a Model X Performance and then sold my 1K hp Trackhawk. Was so impressed with the X, I traded it for a MS Plaid which is my go to daily now. Also have an OG Demon, 930, G63 so no greeny here.......... The full self drive (although it will try to kill me sometimes) and the instant speed is very addicting....plus it only cost me bout $1 for every 21 miles charging at home........ Oh there was a TRX in this mix too;)

Reactions: WeaponX
Same. I may miss my '68 Hemi Roadrunner, but I enjoy my MYP. Definitely don't miss pouring gasoline down those dual quads.
I had a 1000hp(920whp) A10 zl1 and had no idea what a plaid was. It was a 9 sec car and my neighbor was 1 of the 1st plaids he beat me so bad i pulled out my laptop looking for issues with data log while scratching my head on what happened. After few quick online researching i realized the plaid was from a different planet and in 3 days i sold my zl1 and ordered the plaid. The rest is history

Nice lineup! I owned a 2002 Saturn. Slow as a snail and through the years was always harassed by people driving cars similar to the ones you have. They'd just go around me loud AF and speed off into the distance. By my 40's I've grown used to it. Anyhow, ever since 2016 when Tesla's started popping up on the roads here and their I saw them as my hero's. Natural rivals to imagined bullies in those V8's and wanna be 8, 6's. Don't get it twisted, I was dumped on by everything with 4 wheels because it took 6 seconds to get out of first gear.

Anyhow, I always enjoyed watching Tesla's beat my imaginary rivals and finally picked up a used 2018 Model 3 about 2 years ago. Was in love with the car, then it got totaled (RIP Black Snoopy). Picked up a used 2021 Model Y (Snow) with FSD and Acceleration boost so it's all good. I don't expect to gap (nor do I try) anyone but it sure feels nice to not get targeted by a loud roar roughly 4 times a day.

Bless up bruh bruh

Nice collection
For the first mod, upgrade the brakes. I got the unplugged performance large sweep rotors and pads.
My all time favorite car which I tried buying new and used multiple times but to no avail was the magnum srt8. I missed one of the last 2008s left by minutes. It’s ok the model s plaid is breathtaking. Never gets old. Bought it new in 2021. Resell value took a massive hit but I can’t seem to part with it. Enjoy your fine collection

My car

Attachments

• IMG_4169.jpeg
    IMG_4169.jpeg
    541.3 KB · Views: 7
Likely you were racing in a Model Y if it was an SUV that said 'dual motor' on the back. The S and X don't have that labeling. So you were likely racing the 'slowest' of all Tesla models.

If the 'dual motor' label had an underline below it, then you had a performance model Y, and possibly more skin in the game :)
Sorry, I meant your competitor was likely racing a Model Y against your Hellcat :)

Likely you were racing in a Model Y if it was an SUV that said 'dual motor' on the back. The S and X don't have that labeling. So you were likely racing the 'slowest' of all Tesla models.

If the 'dual motor' label had an underline below it, then you had a performance model Y, and possibly more skin in the game :)
Well I took him to gap town so probably just regular Y, I’ll pull the video. Im sufficiently less proud of my Durango Hellcat now, although that same race I was dead heat on a 2021 Corvette w/ z51.

Welcome to the Tesla club :) I was a long time ICE enthusiast as well! I have had a 69 convertible, 79 Bandit, 87 GTA and 93 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 (the 69 was a tribute, I named him "9 of 8"). Pontiac was my brand of choice back in the day. I can definitely appreciate your love for some good new I guess? Muscle cars. Very cool.

As for things to learn about MSPs... I think I would go with just learning auto pilot, paging through the menus, and making my kid's seats fart lol. Did you get FSD, or EAP? I went with EAP, which I really enjoy. Summoning your car in a parking lot is a great parlor trick, and so is lane change on the highway. NoA is also nice.

O yes, also do a launch. Make sure you are in a safe place, preferably a dragstrip, but push it as you see fit. Just put it in the mode, let the battery prep, and give it a go! The instructions are self explanatory in the car IMHO, it is simple. Also, have the car do a dance! Those can be selected in your toybox. There is so much in there, explore the games. Also, put a PS5 or Xbox controller in the center console for the kiddos. If you take road trips that will be fun to occupy them during charging (though we charge very fast now). My son is all about Cuphead.

Tesla Acronym list (in case you have not seen yet)
MSP - Model S Plaid
NoA - Navigate on Autopilot
EAP - Enhanced Autopilot
FSD - Full Self Driving

Above all, enjoy! I am right there with you too... save the planet? na, it is cool and all, but I am not too worried. 1,020 Horsepower car that costs less to drive per mile than a Prius? Yes please.

Welcome to the Tesla club :) I was a long time ICE enthusiast as well! I have had a 69 convertible, 79 Bandit, 87 GTA and 93 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 (the 69 was a tribute, I named him "9 of 8"). Pontiac was my brand of choice back in the day. I can definitely appreciate your love for some good new I guess? Muscle cars. Very cool.
Much appreciated. Yeah, I have to get to reading the manual, some of the stuff you said I knew, but other stuff I did not! My teenage boys will love farting cars lol. Thanks !!

Well I took him to gap town so probably just regular Y, I’ll pull the video. Im sufficiently less proud of my Durango Hellcat now, although that same race I was dead heat on a 2021 Corvette w/ z51.
Published quarter times (with a grain of salt):
Model S Plaid 9.6 sec
Corvette z51 11.2 sec
Camaro A10 zl1 11.4 sec
Durango Hellcat 11.7 sec
Model Y Performance 11.8 sec
Model Y AWD 12.4 sec ("only" which is nuts because that's still damn fast)

Reactions: ill_smo_q
Quick question, I tried to use the search feature, but I wasnt getting the results I hoped for. Should I get the Tesla 1TB SSD? I want to record video while driving, like a dash cam, the stock USB stick only seems to record if you honk the horn or put it in sentry mode. Let me know please!

Also any other 'must haves' I should order for the car?