Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comparison Request: 2023 Model S Plaid vs. 2024 Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All - current P100D X owner here and about to pull the trigger on a Model S Plaid.

Demo Model S Plaid are showing about a ~$4K discount via the Tesla website, pending availability & what seems to be a softening EV market in general, but the Tesla website does not list the model year of said demo cars. I assume they are CY23 cars that are left over in the demo pool. Good news, many of them have less than 100 miles on them so the $4K discount is worthy in terms of savings & consideration.

What I cannot find: is the true spec vs spec difference of what a CY24 gets me if I order it directly from Tesla vs a CY23 model. Anyone have a firm comparison between the two model years? Not interested in 2022's or earlier. Are the 4680's being shipped with CY24 Model S Plaids yet?

You can easily confirm via the VIN if it is a 2023 or a 2024 MY car if you have it. There are a variety of VIN decoder sites you can find. I tend to use the one on the TeslaTap site, but there are others that will also do this for you.

The 10th character represents the certification model year. If it's a "P", then this is a 2023 car, which is what my MS LR is that I took delivery on late December 2023. I believe the skip the letter Q, so the 2024 cars would be the letter "R".

What I cannot find: is the true spec vs spec difference of what a CY24 gets me if I order it directly from Tesla vs a CY23 model. Anyone have a firm comparison between the two model years? Not interested in 2022's or earlier. Are the 4680's being shipped with CY24 Model S Plaids yet?
I made a comprehensive comparison between any Tesla model and its variants. It is best to view on a PC/Mac as it can be a lot of data to view on a phone!

I made a comprehensive comparison between any Tesla model and its variants. It is best to view on a PC/Mac as it can be a lot of data to view on a phone!

thanks for sharing this! awesome site and really helpful to scroll through the comparison options. here is what i have put together:

1) some late MY23 Plaid's do have HW4.
2) MY24 cars do have a revised yoke (including leather) with the horn in the middle. All MY23's still have a button for the horn.
3) seems like all MY24's have HW4.
4) Tesla will not give out VIN info when speaking to a rep, need to place a deposit to get a VIN
5) in-bound demo cars sit somewhere else though they can be picked up at the Tesla store as indicated when purchased. this is a problem if you want to check out actual car and/or color. I want the blue but the new red is interesting if I can see it in person first.

thanks for sharing this! awesome site and really helpful to scroll through the comparison options. here is what i have put together:

1) some late MY23 Plaid's do have HW4.[bkcyk: My June 2023 has HW4]
2) MY24 cars do have a revised yoke (including leather) with the horn in the middle. All MY23's still have a button for the horn. [bkcyk: This center horn thing would be nice to have, but not de rigueur. I also prefer the non-stitched, no seams yoke material as I have no issues with wear so far 9K miles in]
3) seems like all MY24's have HW4.
4) Tesla will not give out VIN info when speaking to a rep, need to place a deposit to get a VIN
5) in-bound demo cars sit somewhere else though they can be picked up at the Tesla store as indicated when purchased. this is a problem if you want to check out actual car and/or color. I want the blue but the new red is interesting if I can see it in person first.
My $.02 in brackets - gl!

Unless it's a very early 2023 model which would have HW3, the only difference should be the steering wheel / yoke (now has a real center horn and the old horn button was replaced with a camera button). That is retrofittable.

There have been rumors of a front camera and rgb interior lighting for a while now, but so far those rumors have failed to come to fruition.