Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have they finally fixed the Model S yet? Interested in 2024 plaid.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
I've been borerline for a while about ordering an S Plaid while waiting on the 3029 Roadster. I have a 3 and a Y and waiting on a Roadster and CT. Our new place has extremely muddy roads that they're throwing rocks on to fix. I noticed today it absolutely destroyed the front of both of my rocker panels. I wonder if getting an S that can lift is the way to go. On the 3 forum everyone seems pretty happy. When I hop into the S forum it seems like nothing but issues. Have they finally nailed it with the 2024? Our 3 and Y have been flawless and now our closest service center is two hours away. I hear about people making frequent trips to their service places with Model S.

Big issues were vibration....mostly fixed now right?
Cold left leg. I live in NH and it gets cold. They added a seal to the door this year, no? Probably fixed?
Tires getting torn apart. Just 21s, right? Is that fixed now, what's the deal?

I love the 3 but the S I can have my dog in the back hatch, throw my bike in, faster and better looking. When I had a plaid S for a week with Euro it was nice but just felt a little older tech/deign than the 3. It's an "old car" that they've greatly updated instead of a new design and clearly Tesla is more of a big boy company now than it was in the past when they first designed that thing.

So, is it good or will I regret it? :)

Thank you!

Best,
Gene

I just purchsed a Feb 2024 build MSP on Sunday. I obviously can’t speak long term but my initial impressions are it is a vastly different car than the 2015 85D and 2015 P90D we owned. Much higher assembly quality, quiet, solid sounding doors, smooth suspension when you want it, and beautiful paint job (Stealth Gray).

I was on the fence between a Lucid Air Touring and the Plaid. After test driving the Lucid I went with the Plaid because it felt just as solid, the Tesla software and app integration are so much better, and, of course, the Plaid is so crazy fun to drive.

Vibration issues are still present on the Plaids. Software update hasn't fixed anything for me.

But other than that, build quality is solid on mine. No creaks or rattles. I think you're getting a new service center by Manchester, but I've had like 15 service visits in under a year. Mostly for the constant vibration issues

Skip the 21s and grab the 19s so you can run all-seasons. If you get a Plaid, I'm guessing it will come with summers. That being said, I've had my Plaid in some deep snow and it is a tank with the correct tires. Unstoppable

My suggestion would be to just get a Long Range. The Plaids seem to have all the issues :(

Cold start vibration from the front drive unit

Shudder from 30-45 mph

Vibration from yoke at highway speeds (over 70 mph)

The vast majority of us with these issues have Plaids
Cold start vibration has been acknowledged.

Shudder is both. And as of the software update is essentially fixed on the plaid. On the LR it’s reduced but still present.

Highway vibrations affect both models.

I'm still waiting to hear examples of what's supposedly more problematic with the MSP than the MSLR.
You can feel comfortable moving forward with either version of the model S. I have two neighbors with MSP, one is a late model 2023 with 19s and all is perfect on the car including no vibrations and a smooth ride. I have an earl 2022 MSLR and it is excellent.

Did you ever pick up the 2022 Model X?

Reactions: phantasms
It doesn’t. Not a half shaft issue
But it is. I and tons of others have fixed the issue by lowering it. I lowered mine and it went away. I put new wheels on and one of the lowering links bushings went bad. I put the stock links back on for a few days while the new ones came in and the vibration came back. New links came in, vibration went away. Also, here is a snip-it right from Tesla on the issue.
Front axle issue.PNG

But it is. I and tons of others have fixed the issue by lowering it. I lowered mine and it went away. I put new wheels on and one of the lowering links bushings went bad. I put the stock links back on for a few days while the new ones came in and the vibration came back. New links came in, vibration went away. Also, here is a snip-it right from Tesla on the issue. View attachment 1029226
There’s about a million different vibrations that everyone labels the same thing. The majority of refresh S/X vibrations are unrelated to half shafts.

Enthusiast forums seem to always have owners posting one complaint or another. Not usually something that effects everybody, but those with the glitch seem to make themselves heard loudly. Guess no mass produced vehicle is perfect.

That said, the latest Model S has tons of happy owners.

For driving on poor condition roads, perhaps a simple set of mud flaps will be worth while.

Latest S is fast, quick charging, long range, great ride and handling, still beautiful, updated interior and exterior, latest battery technology, great lighting, and perhaps best of all has the horn button in the middle of the steering wheel or yoke.