Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to EV, just bought 3 Tesla's, a model S, a model X and a model Y. Charging, Upgrade's and Accessories Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi! New here. So the story goes Tesla was running a promotion that you could transfer fsd and free supercharging from another Tesla to your new Tesla as long as you took delivery by the end of May. Combined with the EV rebates this seemed like a great deal to me. I ended up buying a black on black 2013 Model S P85 with free supercharging for life (sc01) for $16,500 OTD, but the dealer was able to apply the 4k ev tax credit at time of sale, I paid $12,500 cash. Supposed to have a $4000 rebate from SoCal Edison as well, haven't applied for that yet so projected end cost is $8500. (I ended up scheduling to have the MCU upgrade with the radio done on 4/23.) It ended up already having the LTE upgrade.

Questions. It didn't come with rear facing seats, but I bought a set off marketplace for $500. It didn't come with the hardware though which I can find in the Tesla Catalog, but I don't know how to order the parts. I also need to get a new driver's side visor.

I asked about using the CCS or Chademo EVGO chargers by my house but they said there is no upgrade available to make those available. I have seem some css adapters. Am I able to do that? What do I need? Is their an OEM option? Can I somehow mod it to make that available?

I can't seem to find the front and back all weather matts on tesla's website for the 2012 version, just the frunk and trunk liners. Will these come back or do I need to try to find the oem ones elsewhere?

Also, tesla says there is some antitheft upgrade available but when I was talking to them in service on the app, they said it wasn't available? Kind of hard to get answers out of them.

Also, it has only usb chargers, is there anyway to upgrade this to the oem wireless charging?

Is there a way to make it so I can use a wallet key card for this year?

Are there any other cool mods or upgrades I should look into?
I'd like to get the oem 21" uberturbine wheels if I can eventually, will those fit? Are there better wheels for the model s?

I ended up transferring the free supercharging to my 2024 Model Y Performance. My plan is to get the S all maxed out and upgraded and just use it for door dash or something. Daily Driver.

We also bought a White late 2016 Model X 75D 6 seat interior with 83k miles that came with Full Self Driving for 25k. We used drivecaramel and applied the 4k tax credit, so we got it for 21k, and then we should get the 4k SoCal Edison 4k rebate as well. That means we ended up getting it for 17k, and the FSD was a 12k upgrade alone. This one is super cool. Black headliner, carbon fiber interior. I love it. Ended up transferring the FSD to the 2024 Model Y.

My main question on this one is there a way to set it to open both the driver and passenger door when I walk up so I don't have to press anything?

Same question about CSS and Chademo charging, can i? how can i?
Any cool mods or upgrades?

We ended up getting Red 2024 Model Y Performance with tow package with FSD and Free Supercharging for life. They ran another deal right before we bought ours that said if you transferred free supercharging you would get the cost of a paint or interior upgrade for free, so the $2k upcharge for the red was waved.

This thing is pretty great, Pretty much plan on babying that one and keeping it for a few years while we save up to do a national parks tour.

Same question of the Chademo and CSS charging, and are there any cool upgrades or mods that you guys have seen?

Thanks for starting my Tesla adventure with me!

I asked about using the CCS or Chademo EVGO chargers by my house but they said there is no upgrade available to make those available.
CCS ready is only available to newer Tesla. You can go to the menu to see the CCS compatibility.

I am not sure about ChaDeMo but it's very old and others have done it in the past so my guess is as long as you buy the adapter, it should work.

I have seem some css adapters. Am I able to do that? What do I need? Is their an OEM option? Can I somehow mod it to make that available?
In addition to the adapter, your car must get the correct hardware for CCS1. Newer Teslas that didn't come with CCS1 ready could pay a fee to upgrade the hardware. I am not sure if that is possible with older Tesla.

Also, tesla says there is some antitheft upgrade available but when I was talking to them in service on the app, they said it wasn't available? Kind of hard to get answers out of them.
That's how Tesla works. They can only do what's on their computer. If it's not mention on their menu, good luck to you.
Also, it has only usb chargers, is there anyway to upgrade this to the oem wireless charging?
You can try third part products.
Key card is a newer technology that older Tesla did not have. You need to buy a whole new Tesla to get your key card technology as Tesla does not believe in hardware upgrading with very few exceptions (like MICU1 to MCU2...)
My main question on this one is there a way to set it to open both the driver and passenger door when I walk up so I don't have to press anything?
Yes. There's an option in the menu. Just flip the switch on the screen about "driver door" or something like that.
Again, go to you screen menu and it would tell your car is CCS ready or not.

See above answer for Chademo: I think it should work if you buy the adapter from Tesla.

This thing is pretty great, Pretty much plan on babying that one and keeping it for a few years while we save up to do a national parks tour.
Great idea. Not many Superchargers for National Parks.

2013 Model S P85
I believe older S will need their drive units checked out? Big ticket item that will need preventive maintenance, unless it’s already done.

which I can find in the Tesla Catalog, but I don't know how to order the parts. I also need to get a new driver's side visor.
Tesla parts can only be ordered from the Service Center, and only if they are not “restricted”. With the older rear facing seats, I wonder if they even have parts for them anymore… May take some doing to find them

if you transferred free supercharging you would get the cost of a paint or interior upgrade for free,
Great move with FUSC and the deal!

Something to keep in mind - Tesla’s are basically computers with high voltage batteries that not many people know how to work with. Their software is proprietary and requires very specific subject-matter expertise. There are people that work on it, but not many, and not cheap.

In any case, welcome to the club and good luck!

Hi! New here. So the story goes Tesla was running a promotion that you could transfer fsd and free supercharging from another Tesla to your new Tesla as long as you took delivery by the end of May. Combined with the EV rebates this seemed like a great deal to me. I ended up buying a black on black 2013 Model S P85 with free supercharging for life (sc01) for $16,500 OTD, but the dealer was able to apply the 4k ev tax credit at time of sale, I paid $12,500 cash. Supposed to have a $4000 rebate from SoCal Edison as well, haven't applied for that yet so projected end cost is $8500. (I ended up scheduling to have the MCU upgrade with the radio done on 4/23.) It ended up already having the LTE upgrade.

Questions. It didn't come with rear facing seats, but I bought a set off marketplace for $500. It didn't come with the hardware though which I can find in the Tesla Catalog, but I don't know how to order the parts. I also need to get a new driver's side visor.

I asked about using the CCS or Chademo EVGO chargers by my house but they said there is no upgrade available to make those available. I have seem some css adapters. Am I able to do that? What do I need? Is their an OEM option? Can I somehow mod it to make that available?

I can't seem to find the front and back all weather matts on tesla's website for the 2012 version, just the frunk and trunk liners. Will these come back or do I need to try to find the oem ones elsewhere?

Are there any other cool mods or upgrades I should look into?
I'd like to get the oem 21" uberturbine wheels if I can eventually, will those fit? Are there better wheels for the model s?

I ended up transferring the free supercharging to my 2024 Model Y Performance. My plan is to get the S all maxed out and upgraded and just use it for door dash or something. Daily Driver.

We also bought a White late 2016 Model X 75D 6 seat interior with 83k miles that came with Full Self Driving for 25k. We used drivecaramel and applied the 4k tax credit, so we got it for 21k, and then we should get the 4k SoCal Edison 4k rebate as well. That means we ended up getting it for 17k, and the FSD was a 12k upgrade alone. This one is super cool. Black headliner, carbon fiber interior. I love it. Ended up transferring the FSD to the 2024 Model Y.

We ended up getting Red 2024 Model Y Performance with tow package with FSD and Free Supercharging for life. They ran another deal right before we bought ours that said if you transferred free supercharging you would get the cost of a paint or interior upgrade for free, so the $2k upcharge for the red was waved.

Same question of the Chademo and CSS charging, and are there any cool upgrades or mods that you guys have seen?

Thanks for starting my Tesla adventure with me!
Forget about Chademo, it's a dying standard. No changes are required to the car to use it but it does require a very clunky adapter that Tesla no longer sells and is limited to about 45kW.

Your '13 S is likely too old for the CCS upgrade. The '16 X is definitely eligible for the CCS upgrade with a new communication card that can be installed by Tesla mobile service and an adapter, it's $450 I believe. The Y just needs an adapter for CCS, the communication is already in the car.