Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD transfer to new Model 3 refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad I found this thread because I'm in the same boat. Bought a 2024 Model 3 on March 27, took advantage of the FSD transfer from my 2018 Model 3, got the email telling me that it has been transferred from the old VIN to the new VIN, and then I just got the popup for the first few days telling me that FSD would be enabled on a future software release. I do, at least, have EAP (auto lane change on the highway, anyway). FSD enable button is grayed out, just like someone else stated above.

Maybe it's a 2024 Model 3 (Highland) thing? Don't know. But I don't think it's a vision-only thing, because Tesla has been shipping cars without the ultrasonic sensors for a couple years now, I think.

I asked at my local service center, was told to be patient. I asked if it was a HW4 thing, he said that plenty of HW4 cars already have the FSD v12 firmware, including his own, but he said it could take a couple months before I get the software update on my new one.

Reactions: HighZ and Old Biker
Looks like the latest software update will work on the new model 3!! Light at the end of the tunnel.

1712798269118.png

Got it installed. Spent about an hour with my son testing it around about a 5 mile radius near my house. In a word... mindblowing. I'm not sure if it's all due to the firmware version or if there is some additional advantage with using HW4, but this seems like a monumental leap forward compared to the v11 FSD on my HW3 2018 Model 3. We had zero forced disengagements in one hour of driving; the only time we disengaged was because we changed our mind with the nav destination and didn't wait for it to reach the previous destination. We did several unprotected lefts onto 4-lane and 6-lane surface roads - no problem at all. Also some unprotected right turns onto those large roads. Lane selection was all perfect and way more human-like than any previous version I've used. And neighborhood street driving was nearly flawless. I feel like we fast-forwarded several years compared with the previous pace of development. My only criticisms are (1) it's still really conservative and deliberate in the way it stops at stop signs (thanks NHTSB for screwing us over with the elimination of rolling stops at 1.6 mph), and (2) it made one turn at an unusually narrow residential street intersection and came very close to the curb, I almost disengaged over it, but it went slowly and didn't hit the curb, and we continued on. Overall, we're blown away by it. Feeling glad today to have taken advantage of the FSD transfer incentive.

I see the $2k upgrade on top of the existing EAP I have. Any idea if this entire package would be transferable to a future car?

If / When they bring back FSD transfer it would, but thats not a permanent thing (FSD transfer). Its not available right now, in fact. It SHOULD be the standard way this works, but it hasnt been, and Tesla has only allowed this recently, a couple of times, to spur sales.

Reactions: Old Biker