Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Private Party vs Dealer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at purchasing a used model 3 performance, I have came across a car for sale both at a dealer and private party that currently has FSD included (not the monthly subscription). The private party member has stated they purchased a new Tesla which makes me worried that they did the transfer FSD and when if I buy there Tesla when I register it will remove FSD after seeing its changed hands? Just as scarier at the dealership I dont know if they traded in there Tesla only to buy a new one and transfer FSD and I will lose FSD again after purchase.

I can save some money by finding a used FSD included on the car but if I make a decision to purchase purely on that I am just a tad worried I am going to be quite upset later after registering and losing it. When I search the forums its so random on what happens and its a few years old. Has anyone purchased a used Tesla 3/Y in the last 6 months since they allowed transfer FSD for new purchases and the FSD stayed on the car? If so, did you purchase private party of dealer?

I see FSD is getting better, I understand its not perfect but I think it would be cool to play with it and could save me money over the $200/mo subscription over a year or more as the costs on used cars with it being included isnt that much. Thanks for any help to ease my mind.

Tesla said:
When will the FSD capability transfer occur?
Once you’ve taken delivery of your new Tesla vehicle, the FSD capability will be transferred to the new vehicle within 24 hours.

Note: It may take up to 48 hours to remove the FSD capability from the current vehicle..