Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used 2020 Tesla Model X Long Range Plus Sport Utility 4D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Community,

I'm considering purchasing a used 2020 Tesla Model X Long Range Plus Sport Utility 4D, currently listed at $58k (or best offer) with 22,000 miles on it. The listing has been active in our local Denver classifieds for 2 months without selling. This car would be coming from its second owner and has been garage-kept.

As I navigate this decision, a couple of points are making me hesitate, and I'd greatly appreciate your insights:

1. **Full Self-Driving (FSD) Transferability**: The seller mentions the car comes with FSD and lifetime Supercharging. However, they haven't upgraded to the newest FSD version due to personal preference. If I decide to update the software post-purchase, can I be sure the FSD feature will remain with the car? Since it's already transferred once, does FSD stay with the vehicle indefinitely, or is there a risk of losing it upon further ownership changes?

2. **Lifetime Supercharging**: Given that Tesla phased out free lifetime Supercharging for new vehicles around 2018, I'm curious about the claim of lifetime Supercharging on a 2020 model. The seller mentioned it would transfer as long as I don't change the car's "name" within the Tesla system. Could someone clarify what this means and how it affects the transferability of Supercharging benefits?

3. **Model X vs. Model Y**: I'm also torn between opting for this used Model X and purchasing a new Model Y, especially considering the price proximity. In your experiences, how do these two models compare in terms of value, features, and overall satisfaction? Would the price difference justify choosing one over the other in the current market where used car prices have seen adjustments?

Your feedback and personal experiences would be invaluable in helping me make an informed decision. Thank you for your time and insights!

1- The FSD should update OTA unless you prevent it like the current owner is doing.
2- You won’t get free supercharging once it’s put on your app/ removed from current owners app
3-Your money, your choice. Like choosing color or seating, all subjective. I’d get the X.