Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Used Model X Plaid or 2024 New Model X Non Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alrighty I'm here for some thoughtful discussions. I know I'm an adult and can make my own decisions but this one has me torn.

Found a 2022 (June Build) Model X Plaid with 22" tires and NO FSD (but has FSD computer installed) for 80k. Approximately 15k miles on it. It's in great shape from a respectable third party dealer. Feels like a great price for a Plaid Model X. Warranty good for another 2 years and a few months.

Trying to decide if I go with that one, it's a PLAID! or buy a 2024 Model X with 6 seats, 20" wheels and free FSD transfer from my current Model Y plus all the 5000 mile supercharger incentive and color upgrade for approximately $86k. Obviously the 2024 Model X has a 4 year warranty from date of purchase and HW4 but I don't really use FSD at all, as I got it when it was far cheaper and there was lots of promises for it to work, which doesn't seem to be up to full promise with HW4 just yet but I'm sure it will get better and the transfer of FSD is appealing. It's also not a PLAID.

Not sure why but the Plaid just seems like more fun and I love the interior of a Plaid with the carbon fiber trim better than the usual Model X trims but wasn't sure if it was worth the drama of a used car vs a brand new car and if I'm just giving the Plaid too much credit since I'll probably never really utilize the full excitement of the Plaid beyond showing it off to a few people here and there.

Thoughts/input/comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

I bought the Plaid simply because I wanted the HP and acceleration. That's it. The LR functionally would work exactly the same, but knowing myself, I'd always just say "man, wished I had bought the one with the more HP". But that's me... The other way to look at this is, you are saying some money getting a used Plaid vs a brand new Plaid.

So, how badly do you want the fastest SUV in the world? :)

I bought the Plaid simply because I wanted the HP and acceleration. That's it. The LR functionally would work exactly the same, but knowing myself, I'd always just say "man, wished I had bought the one with the more HP". But that's me... The other way to look at this is, you are saying some money getting a used Plaid vs a brand new Plaid.

I think thats my exact issue too. Would I regret it. guess I'm just looking for someone to tell my inner dialogue that I won't miss it

A Plaid with 22” wheels holds no appeal for me. A rough ride, lower efficiency and acceleration I would never need nor use. And it’s 2 years old with 2 years less warranty and 2 years of little changes not included. And the FSD would mean something to me. I just bought a 2023 model S with only basic autopilot, and I most miss:
- auto lane change
- stop and go at stop lights and stop signs
- being able to set the speed to whatever I want on secondary roads (basic autopilot limited to 5 mph over speed limit)

Definitely a tough choice!

For me, I would lean towards getting the newer/refreshed Model-X. There are many small software upgrades that make for a more enjoyable experience. Additionally, it will receive better OTA upgrades due to having all of the newer hardware. I believe that if you get a new one, it will also now have the front bumper camera and ambient lighting.

Best of luck with your choice and enjoy the drive!

Reactions: banksywalker

This is EXACTLY why I went directly for a PX. When I bought my '18 Model 3, I was torn between FSD or P3, and went with FSD. Not much later, I regretted not getting performance, and acceleration boost wasn't much help, so when I bought my '22 Model Y, it was a PY.

Now I saved having to buy another Model X, along with the depreciation at trade time, and the gamble that I'd get a good one, when this one is paid off. I justified the additional expense now with how much money I saved by going for the plaid right off. No buyer's remorse here.

A Plaid with 22” wheels holds no appeal for me. A rough ride, lower efficiency and acceleration I would never need nor use. And it’s 2 years old with 2 years less warranty and 2 years of little changes not included. And the FSD would mean something to me. I just bought a 2023 model S with only basic autopilot, and I most miss:
- auto lane change
- stop and go at stop lights and stop signs
- being able to set the speed to whatever I want on secondary roads (basic autopilot limited to 5 mph over speed limit)

Enhanced Auto Pilot is your friend. I had FSD on my '18 LR3, bought EAP on my '22 PY after a couple months, and will buy it again on my '24 PY next month. In a moment of weakness, probably after Elon announces FSD prices are going up, I may buy FSD again, but then this really will be my last Tesla, since I may be retired by the time this one's paid off.

I think thats my exact issue too. Would I regret it. guess I'm just looking for someone to tell my inner dialogue that I won't miss it
Again, this is just me: every single time I bought a car and did not get the one with the most HP, thinking oh it's "fast enough" or "oh I am being responsible and saving a few bucks"... I have ALWAYS regretted it. It's not that I am a speed demon on the street... I'm not here drag racing anyone or anything... in fact in the Teslas I've had, I aim to get the best efficiency I can while driving like a normal person. BUT, it's just a thing in the back of my head. It's an illness that I've since accepted and no longer fight it... so I just bough the Plaid.

Reality is, no one needs a $90K EV SUV... but if you are in a position to shop one... live a little. :)

Reactions: Weighit
I knew i *could* get a non-plaid for much less and it would have been plenty. But, you only live once and you know what, buy what makes you happy. Granted you can buy a lot of other crap for the difference between them. CHOOSE! Plaid-slapping people when they won’t let you over etc is quite fun. :)

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
I would get the 2022 (June Build) Model X Plaid just for the fact that it [still] has working ultrasonic sensors, so the automatic front doors work as they were originally designed for, but most importantly, no ridiculous High Fidelity Park Assist 🤦‍♂️on the 2022... plus all the benefits of having a Plaid tri-motor modern marvel.

You could even get the new yoke/steering wheel with the center horn and new materials and also do a fun weekend project and get the new Matrix headlights from eBay, and retrofit them with the required harness adapter and Gateway.config file change, so you'll have the best of [most] worlds, except for a few gone years of warranty...

Reactions: towndrunk
I would do neither. Would purchase a new base Model X for $79,900. Get the $7,500 tax credit plus California clean vehicle rebate and perhaps Utility rebate to neutralize the initial depreciation, get the free color of your choice, take advantage of free FSD transfer, plus the latest interior and exterior updates.
It comes with Ludicris and cheetah stance for quick, impressive launches, 20" wheels give greatest range plus brand new, with no stories.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I would do neither. Would purchase a new base Model X for $79,900. Get the $7,500 tax credit plus California clean vehicle rebate and perhaps Utility rebate to neutralize the initial depreciation, get the free color of your choice, take advantage of free FSD transfer, plus the latest interior and exterior updates.
It comes with Ludicris and cheetah stance for quick, impressive launches, 20" wheels give greatest range plus brand new, with no stories.
I think he needs 6 seats though so he has to make a choice between the 2

I had a 2022 MX LR so many build issues.... screen didn't tilt either. I dumped it for the 2023 because windows would not roll up in cold weather. I love my 2023 MX LR. I also debated about the plaid, had a loaner- super fast but went through 50% of the battery every day and had to charge all the time..annoying. 6 seats suck too. The 2023 is very fast. Most of the time when I had the plaid when i Wanted to pass I wasn't using any more acceleration than the LR anyhow. And I am a lead foot. Besides I can drop just about anyone with the LR as it is. Only issue is if I had say 40% charge and a cold battery up against a souped up track Vette. It gets boring because its too easy . I considered ripping out the rear seats on the plaid but that has warranty issues. I love my LR. Plaid is funny (You have to laugh its so fast) I call it hulk mode because it feels like the hulk tossed you into the back of the car. However people who ahve had conceussions before may get headaches from the acceleration

Reactions: Jayskywalker21
I had a 2022 MX LR so many build issues.... screen didn't tilt either. I dumped it for the 2023 because windows would not roll up in cold weather. I love my 2023 MX LR. I also debated about the plaid, had a loaner- super fast but went through 50% of the battery every day and had to charge all the time..annoying. 6 seats suck too. The 2023 is very fast. Most of the time when I had the plaid when i Wanted to pass I wasn't using any more acceleration than the LR anyhow. And I am a lead foot. Besides I can drop just about anyone with the LR as it is. Only issue is if I had say 40% charge and a cold battery up against a souped up track Vette. It gets boring because its too easy . I considered ripping out the rear seats on the plaid but that has warranty issues. I love my LR. Plaid is funny (You have to laugh its so fast) I call it hulk mode because it feels like the hulk tossed you into the back of the car. However people who ahve had conceussions before may get headaches from the acceleration
Why do you say the 6 seats suck? I thought the captain chairs were cool? Is it because they cant fold down?

I am coming from a Model S Plaid into a Model X Plaid - I wanted more room and a thrid row as I am consolidating two cars down to 1 (I have the Model S and a F150).

I gotta say, I do not use plaid mode all day every day. It is enjoyable though. Every. Single. Time. it brings a smile to my face upon acceleration. Worth it to me.