Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

buying a used tesla from non-tesla dealership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have been searching for a 2020/2021 model x with 6 seats and FSD for a few months. after a few failed private party deals and 0 showing up on teslas website, i’ve found one a few states away.

i’ve put a deposit down and the current plan is to fly up next saturday, complete the purchase and drive it back.

the people im speaking with are completely clueless about teslas. it’s a big toyota dealership. apparently today they’re going to get someone on the phone with me that works up there that knows all about them? but we shall see.

my big question is what can they do this upcoming week to make the transaction smooth. my biggest concern is the fact that they probably don’t know how to transfer the car to me via the app and i’m going to be 600 miles away without the ability to use tesla superchargers for the drive back.

I bought my preowned Model S from a Mercedes dealer that had zero clue either. The actual sale was no different than any other car, and once I had the paperwork I took pictures of the bill of sale and the new registration and sent to Tesla via the app (download the app prior to going to get the car). In the app you can click to add a new car, then send the paperwork to Tesla through the app. I was worried because I wouldn’t be able to set up supercharging until the car was acknowledged as mine in the app, but it took about 3 minutes and I was good to go. As long as the prior owner released the car this will work - I doubt the Toyota dealership ever transferred it to themselves anyway. Ask them to charge it to 100% for you so you’ll at least have some juice to start your trip.

Good luck!

I bought my preowned Model S from a Mercedes dealer that had zero clue either. The actual sale was no different than any other car, and once I had the paperwork I took pictures of the bill of sale and the new registration and sent to Tesla via the app (download the app prior to going to get the car). In the app you can click to add a new car, then send the paperwork to Tesla through the app. I was worried because I wouldn’t be able to set up supercharging until the car was acknowledged as mine in the app, but it took about 3 minutes and I was good to go. As long as the prior owner released the car this will work - I doubt the Toyota dealership ever transferred it to themselves anyway. Ask them to charge it to 100% for you so you’ll at least have some juice to start your trip.

Good luck!
i confirmed that they do not have a tesla app with the car on it. so i guess i’ll be at the mercy of tesla on a saturday

Too late to get a CCS adapter now, but EA or other third party charging stations are also an option in a pickle. Maybe you can swing by the nearest SC and they have one for purchase? Just an option
my buddy is giving me this adapter before i make the trip. what would this give me access to?

Attachments

• IMG_0711.jpeg
    IMG_0711.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
If you're looking for FSD, make sure you see a screenshot of the car's "software" tab showing that the FSD software license is in fact there. I've been to two different dealers who had advertised Model Ys with "self driving", only to find out that they were referring to the hardware that cones in every Tesla made, not the software license.