Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Plaid - questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the process of buying a 2022 Plaid from an individual. I am in Texas and the car is in Florida. I have run a Car Fax report, and there are no issues. I had a FaceTime call to look over the car. I am using KeySavvy as a broker service. I plan to fly out there to drive the car, and if all is good I will complete the transaction and drive it back.

My first question is about transferring the car to my Tesla account so that I'll be able to use superchargers on the trip home. Can the current owner transfer the car from his account to mine? Or, does Tesla have to do that?

Second question is about extended warranty. If I'm correct, only the original owner can purchase an extended warranty? I was thinking I might ask the seller to purchase an additional 2 year warranty before the sale and pay him for it. Would that warranty transfer to me? An how much does that cost?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Have them screen shot you the service history list from the app and and send the PDFs for each service visit. If there are recurring issues that haven't been fixed, they'll be in the service docs. Non of it will be in the Carfax.

The app won't show more than the last 10 visits. If there have been more than 10, I'd pass.

Have them screen shot you the service history list from the app and and send the PDFs for each service visit. If there are recurring issues that haven't been fixed, they'll be in the service docs. Non of it will be in the Carfax.

The app won't show more than the last 10 visits. If there have been more than 10, I'd pass.
Thanks for this advice. Is there a way to tell if they sent all the screen shots or if they skipped any?

To what end? What info can be gained from this that's relevant to the sale, especially for a vehicle still under warranty?

The # of visits isn't really relevant IMO. If a car had been in 10 times but 5 times for fixing the same handle they couldn't get right or needed further adjustment... is the thing a lemon? Not hardly.

I've bought/sold 7 used Teslas now and not once have I requested a screen shot of the service visits. This seems like an unnecessary request and to refuse to proceed with a purchase because of anything associated seems even more dramatic.

TBH if a potential buyer requests that screen I'm probably not wasting my time with them because I've never had that requested of me in all of my vehicle negotiations. I don't waste my time with needy buyers with odd requests as there's plenty of reasonable buyers out there who don't make pointless requests.

That's fine, more cars for me to buy I guess.

OP you're going to get a LOT of opinions on car shopping and some are routed in first-hand experience and others are from fantasy land. The only thing that matters is that YOU do your due diligence before spending a large sum of money. This applies to most things but especially vehicles.

Don't rely on any sort of vehicle history (read: CarFax) as sole source of information. If the vehicle history is clean... it doesn't mean it hasn't been wrecked/repaired. You still need to inspect the car carefully. All a vehicle history report tells you is where to inspect more closely if there's a repair listed.

The cars you're looking at are likely still under full manufacturer's warranty so this will narrow your thorough investigation to impact/repair and other cosmetic things not covered under warranty. Sure, it's good to know the mechanical condition and what _may_ need repaired but I wouldn't stress too much about those items that need attention, let alone what items have been addressed previously. If you're buying private party I would put more weight in the seller him or herself. If the person seems shady or is a prick... I'd walk away. Trust your gut. There's more cars out there and more sellers and NEVER buy or sell on emotion or under pressure. Stay logical and w/o emotion to avoid making quick decisions you'll regret in the future.

Case & point: Yesterday I test drove a Rivian R1T for a buddy who is out-of-state. The seller is private party and he wanted me to go get eyes/hands on it for him to make sure there was no dramatic damage that wasn't disclosed and that the seller was legit before he wired the full purchase price ahead of his arrival to take delivery. During the drive, I raised the truck tot he highest setting and did a launch from a stop. The truck made a shutter/grinding noise form the front indicative of the dreaded front half-shaft failing symptom. The owner was surprised by the sound and I could tell he felt the need to try to defend it as he had never heard it before. In this instance, I was more interested in the owner's reaction to the noise than the noise itself. I knew that the issue would be fixed by Rivian under warranty so it's no reason to walk away from a sale. Now, had the owner tried to cover things up or reacted in an unexpected fashion it would be more of reveal on the sellers character which was also being investigated. Moral: easily fixed warranty items are just that. Don't let something simple blow up a deal.

Bottom line is that nobody on this internet forum will have to live with whatever YOU end up doing. This is why it's important that YOU are comfortable with the deal regardless of what anyone on an internet forum thinks. Ultimately, you will be the one living with the decision.

To what end? What info can be gained from this that's relevant to the sale, especially for a vehicle still under warranty?

Every Tesla repurchased as a lemon is still under warranty. My MXP was just repurchased as a lemon after 105 days in service and a dozen issues they couldn't or wouldn't fix. None of the issues are easily found at first blush in a test drive. None of the issues appear in Carfax.

If you looked at my service history, you'd run screaming from my MXP. If I decided not try and sell it back to Tesla or tried and failed(combined nearly all problem vehicles are in this category), then I'd cut my losses and try and sell it. If I were not completely honest, then I'd certainly not disclose all of the issues otherwise I'd never sell it unless I was willing to sell it considerably below market value.

Your suggestion of not asking for service records amazing. I've never bought a used car without looking at service records. If the car is dealer serviced, then issues are going to be part of those records because when a vehicle comes into a dealer for regular service (oil changes and such), owners will complain about any issues they're having and those issues will be merged with the invoices that have regular maintenance that prudent buyers demand to see. This makes it harder for a seller to duck out of disclosure if if they had tons of issues NOT fixed by the dealer when they brought their car in for regular maintenance. Teslas don't have regular dealer maintenance so frequently complained about issues won't be co-mingled with oil change invoices.

Lastly, I'd neve end up buying a car from you because you'd refuse to show me your service invoices. That is a screaming red flag and the discussion would be over.

Every Tesla repurchased as a lemon is still under warranty. My MXP was just repurchased as a lemon after 105 days in service and a dozen issues they couldn't or wouldn't fix. None of the issues are easily found at first blush in a test drive. None of the issues appear in Carfax.

If you looked at my service history, you'd run screaming from my MXP. If I decided not try and sell it back to Tesla or tried and failed(combined nearly all problem vehicles are in this category), then I'd cut my losses and try and sell it. If I were not completely honest, then I'd certainly not disclose all of the issues otherwise I'd never sell it unless I was willing to sell it considerably below market value.

Your suggestion of not asking for service records amazing. I've never bought a used car without looking at service records. If the car is dealer serviced, then issues are going to be part of those records because when a vehicle comes into a dealer for regular service (oil changes and such), owners will complain about any issues they're having and those issues will be merged with the invoices that have regular maintenance that prudent buyers demand to see. This makes it harder for a seller to duck out of disclosure if if they had tons of issues NOT fixed by the dealer when they brought their car in for regular maintenance. Teslas don't have regular dealer maintenance so frequently complained about issues won't be co-mingled with oil change invoices.

Lastly, I'd neve end up buying a car from you because you'd refuse to show me your service invoices. That is a screaming red flag and the discussion would be over.
I never said I don't have an interest in the service history, you assumed that. I ask the buyer as their answer is as important as the history itself on if I want to deal with them or not. You said specifically that w/o a screen grab, you're out. That's fine, I'm not interested in working with buyers with such odd & non-negotiable demands.

It doesn't mean I'm hiding anything so much as I just don't cater to people like that. Again, I've bought/sold not one, not two but SEVEN used Teslas now. Not once have I had the specific request to send a screen shot of the service history from either a buyer or even a prospective buyer. How many used Teslas have you bought?

Let's not forget that this thread was started by someone seeking advise on buying a used (and presumed under full factory warranty) Plaid. Your first and only response was to get a screen grab of the service history and if it has 10 records or you can't get it... walk. You don't see how unimportant that is the grand scheme of things even though you made it seem like the one and ONLY thing that matters?

I never said I don't have an interest in the service history, you assumed that. I ask the buyer as their answer is as important as the history itself on if I want to deal with them or not. You said specifically that w/o a screen grab, you're out. That's fine, I'm not interested in working with buyers with such odd & non-negotiable demands.

That's right, because with Tesla, you're more likely to have single invoices that have only issues rather than issues co-mingled with regular service which makes it easier to hide.

You're assumption is that sellers are honest. Without a screen grab, you can't be sure they're including all of the invoices. So yes, without that, I'm out and if the 10 seconds it takes for a seller to screen shot that and add it to the conversion is too much work for them, then I assume it's really because they're hiding something.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
That's right, because with Tesla, you're more likely to have single invoices that have only issues rather than issues co-mingled with regular service which makes it easier to hide.

You're assumption is that sellers are honest. Without a screen grab, you can't be sure they're including all of the invoices. So yes, without that, I'm out and if the 10 seconds it takes for a seller to screen shot that and add it to the conversion is too much work for them, then I assume it's really because they're hiding something.
Now you're just putting words into my mouth to make your point. I never said I assumed all sellers were honest. Quite the contrary in fact and why I ask the question of the seller directly. Based on the character data points I will know in pretty short order if I can trust the answer or not.

Requesting a screen shot tells you nothing other than the vehicle history which isn't nearly as useful as you insinuate it is (it seems to be your only item for purchase based on it being your sole response to the OP) on a car that's still under warranty. All it tells you is things that were fixed or looked at and not items that need to be fixed or looked at... which would done for free anyway under warranty.

Asking the actual seller (along with many other questions meant to gain info on the car as well as the buyer) tells you about their character things a screen shot just can't, good & bad.

My bigger point here is that your answer to someone asking for advice on buying a used car was next to useless in the grand scheme of things. Note that I was being diplomatic by saying next to useless and not completely writing it off. Especially compared to more important information necessary on a car that's under full manufacturer warranty.

The OP now knows that there's a lot more involved with buying a used Tesla than just getting a screen grab of the vehicle history and to do further research on their own. I'll take my mountain of data points I get on both the car and the seller before I buy versus your single data point. I wish you luck with that.

Since you've never bought a used Tesla (based on your failure to respond) and are just guessing, I would suggest you broaden your data pool should you ever decide to actually buy a used Tesla. Then maybe you'll have first-hand experience to draw from rather than blindly guessing and offering "expertise" to people who are genuinely requesting help from those who actually know.

Now you're just putting words into my mouth to make your point. I never said I assumed all sellers were honest. Quite the contrary in fact and why I ask the question of the seller directly. Based on the character data points I will know in pretty short order if I can trust the answer or not.

Requesting a screen shot tells you nothing other than the vehicle history which isn't nearly as useful as you insinuate it is (it seems to be your only item for purchase based on it being your sole response to the OP) on a car that's still under warranty. All it tells you is things that were fixed or looked at and not items that need to be fixed or looked at... which would done for free anyway under warranty.

I never put words in your mouth. I'm stating that without proof, you are at risk for buying a car with undisclosed issues unless you can assume all sellers are honest.

The screenshot shows the dates of the service that you can match up to the pdf invoices. This allows you to make certain no invoices are excluded. I already previously explained this and you are either ignoring it or you just missed it.

Since you've never bought a used Tesla (based on your failure to respond) and are just guessing, I would suggest you broaden your data pool should you ever decide to actually buy a used Tesla. Then maybe you'll have first-hand experience to draw from rather than blindly guessing and offering "expertise" to people who are genuinely requesting help from those who actually know.

When I sold my P85D, several buyers asked me for screen shots and matching invoices which I happily provided once I knew they were serious buyers. On the flip side, I believe this is the reason why I got significantly above market value for my P85DL. If I were to buy a used Tesla, I wouldn't consider any where the seller didn't provide the same unless it was for significantly below market value which I'd only possibly consider from a third party dealer since they won't have the history. I'd assume I'm buying a car with all kinds of undisclosed issues and would require a price proportionate to that.

I think Tesla has to transfer the car to your account. The current owner can only add you as a driver, which doesn’t change who pays for supercharging. I would make sure the car is in your account before driving home.

To answer the OP, the owner can use the app to release the car. It will ask for your email. You'll get an email from Tesla where you accept the car and it will now be on your account. Tesla does not need to be involved unless you bought the car and the owner forgot to do this in which case you'd have free supercharging in their account on your way home :)

I never put words in your mouth. I'm stating that without proof, you are at risk for buying a car with undisclosed issues unless you can assume all sellers are honest.
But you did. In order to make your point, you said that I was assuming all sellers are honest. I never said such a thing. Therefore, putting words in my mouth in order to make your point because your point falls flat w/o that incorrect assumption on your part.

The screenshot shows the dates of the service that you can match up to the pdf invoices. This allows you to make certain no invoices are excluded. I already previously explained this and you are either ignoring it or you just missed it.
I know what it shows, remember... I've owned many Teslas now. What's next, are you going to try to tell me how to plug one into a Supercharger in an attempt to discredit me?

I still have no idea what ground breaking info you think this provides. At best, you can find stuff that was looked at but not yet fixed? This is your life altering data? Otherwise, all you can see is what items were fixed. As in they likely are a non-issue. Worst case scenario, the item becomes an issue again and you just have it fixed again under warranty. For free.

What's even the point of this? Help me understand how this is the single most important data point that you consider and the sole item you told the OP to base their purchase decision on.

When I sold my P85D, several buyers asked me for screen shots and matching invoices which I happily provided once I knew they were serious buyers. On the flip side, I believe this is the reason why I got significantly above market value for my P85DL. If I were to buy a used Tesla, I wouldn't consider any where the seller didn't provide the same unless it was for significantly below market value which I'd only possibly consider from a third party dealer since they won't have the history. I'd assume I'm buying a car with all kinds of undisclosed issues and would require a price proportionate to that.
Several, huh? I doubt that based on working with dozens upon dozens of potential buyers & buyers alike over selling 7 used Teslas across half a dozen years or so now. Not one asked specifically for the screen shot & invoices. Not one. I sold every single one for well above market value.

Your insistence upon this piece of information is uniquely odd, at best.

Several, huh? I doubt that based on working with dozens upon dozens of potential buyers & buyers alike over selling 7 used Teslas across half a dozen years or so now. Not one asked specifically for the screen shot & invoices. Not one. I sold every single one for well above market value.

Your insistence upon this piece of information is uniquely odd, at best.
Honestly who cares? If that's what someone wants for a private sale and you don't want to give it to them, then you don't sell. If that's what it takes for that person to feel comfortable buying a car, they will go elsewhere. Don't get the arguing here.

Honestly who cares? If that's what someone wants for a private sale and you don't want to give it to them, then you don't sell. If that's what it takes for that person to feel comfortable buying a car, they will go elsewhere. Don't get the arguing here.
Agreed. Ultimately it's up to the seller & buyer to agree to terms. This was the over-arching point I was trying to make. The buyer or seller has the right to make outlandish terms but the likelihood of the other party agreeing to said term decreases jeopardizing the deal. IMO the advice offered is unusual, bordering on outlandish but, more importantly, the information gained isn't even all that valuable. Relatively speaking to what it could cost by blowing up the deal as many sellers won't be receptive to this request. The other person made it seem like this was the most imperative info to gain when car shopping even suggesting (multiple times) the seller was up to something shady if they didn't want to jump through that hoop. IMO the other poster is putting entirely too much weight in that one data point and will likely lose out on many excellent deals on perfectly good cars on something so trivial. After all, this isn't a Ford F-150 we're talking about here where there's often times literally dozens exactly the same in the same town available. You start eliminating massive swaths of available cars that fit your description and you're likely going to limit your pool to a point of getting a far worse deal due to limited inventory from which to choose. The purpose of my post was to offer another opinion for the OP to realize that that one piece of information wasn't as imperative as the other person insinuated. The other person didn't seem to agree that I was also entitled to an opinion, even if it differed from theirs. That was the only reason the back and forth lasted entirely longer than it should have.