Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Used MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m looking to purchase a used 2020 or 2021 MX 6 seater and had a couple questions:

1) What are some common issues I should look out for or check?

2) What’s the easiest way to verify battery health?

3) If it’s a private seller, how do I get it transferred to me? I understand the title aspect but I’m referring to with Tesla to remove the previous owner.

4) What are my options for adding FSD? I think I can do monthly anytime but wasn’t sure if Tesla does pro rated to just buy.

3) If it’s a private seller, how do I get it transferred to me? I understand the title aspect but I’m referring to with Tesla to remove the previous owner.
The seller goes into the Tesla app and initiates the transfer to you, giving the email address of your Tesla account. It will disappear from their account and show up in your account in a matter of seconds.
4) What are my options for adding FSD? I think I can do monthly anytime but wasn’t sure if Tesla does pro rated to just buy
You can subscribe monthly or purchase FSD. There is nothing in between.

Upvote 0
I’m looking to purchase a used 2020 or 2021 MX 6 seater and had a couple questions:

1) What are some common issues I should look out for or check?

2) What’s the easiest way to verify battery health?

4) What are my options for adding FSD? I think I can do monthly anytime but wasn’t sure if Tesla does pro rated to just buy.
I just bought one, a 2019 6 seat from Tesla.

Check if it has the pedestrian speaker (lower front passanger wheel well bottom of fog lights). I don't have one, can do custom lock sounds
Battery health you could ask to have it charged to 100% to see max change vs 328, 351, or 371 - This is why I bought from Tesla I get a 1 year warranty but the battery has an 8 year warranty. Ask how often it was Superchargered.
I have FSD, it's annoying! No one likes it and my wife refuses to let me turn it on unless we are driving straight on the highway. FSD is like driving behind a bad driver somewhere they have never been and have no idea what they are doing and you are behind the wheel wondering WTF the cr is doing. I am afraid I will get hit because the car hesitates on turning, turns very wide at times, and even crosses the lane when it's not painted (think your neighborhood).

Overall I love the MX, but I am having it looked at for the "shuddering" and squeaky suspension.

Upvote 0
Is it true that FSD does not transfer to the new buyer?

I've heard that it does if you do a peer-to-peer transfer but via a dealership tesla removes it?

Does anyone know for sure?

Also Jomak, I heard that there were big improvements in 2020 over the 2019 models (which is why they are so much cheaper).

Upvote 0
Is it true that FSD does not transfer to the new buyer?
I've heard that it does if you do a peer-to-peer transfer but via a dealership tesla removes it?
Does anyone know for sure?
Also Jomak, I heard that there were big improvements in 2020 over the 2019 models (which is why they are so much cheaper).
Free unlimited supercharging is only available to the original owner, unless you have a very early X, 2017 or earlier. In a private sale, you may be able to get away with it for while. But as soon as Tesla realizes the car has been sold, it will probably disappear. Remember, the car is always connected to the Mothership.

Upvote 0
FSD transfers w every sale except one scenario: It is an issue if Tesla takes ownership of the car at some point. Since it’s their car, they can strip full unlimited supercharging, as well as FSD. The tricky part is that a car may have these features and is given back to Tesla after a lease, then sold at an auction, and ends up on a used car lot with the features apparently intact because Tesla has not officially removed them. Then, when the sale / transfer of ownership goes through, the features are removed.
So, as long as Tesla does not have a history of taking ownership, there is no issue.

Reactions: Bigriver
Upvote 0