Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model X LR+ w/FSD 40k miles for $48k - yes or no?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are looking for a big SUV for the tall household that we are. I recently came across a Model X (I had never driven one before). It is owned by a private party. It is a 2020 model and found it to be very spacious, sort of exactly what we are looking for. I would have ideally liked it to be a 6 or a 7 seater configuration, but it is a 5 seater configuration, which is not a deal breaker.

Do you think buying a 2020 Model X Long Range Plus with 40k miles and with included full-self driving package (near spotless condition inside out) for $48k (no taxes or fees for private party sales in my state) is a decent deal in 2024? I know absolutely nothing about Model X issues other than finicky falcon doors and half-shaft issues.

Any word of advice would really help us make the right decision. We are not the kind of people who indulge in in-car entertainment so the latest and greatest CPU and faster screens do not matter to us as much as the car's drive-ability and reliability. As long as the phone / bluetooth / speakers work and plays our music / radio, we are happy.

@billionaiire, I don’t know why you are getting such negative responses and very little content in the responses. I have not been shopping for a used Tesla so I do not know what they are going for. But to me, this sounds like a good deal. The long range plus was the last of the vertical screens, and some would say that it is the best model X. FSD has become as polarizing as US politics, but I personally like it and would definitely seek it out if I was in the used market. FSD on the highway is very good and has revolutionized my long trips. FSD on local streets is finally improving rapidly.

I have a 2017 model X that has never had trouble with the falcon wing doors. I did have the half shaft replacement twice under warranty. But I am 40,000 miles past that last replacement and doing good so far. My only post-warranty work in the past 2.5 years has been $60 to replace a front passenger door release actuator.

I'm not going to tell you this is or isn't a good deal. But it sounds like it's pre-refresh, so I would definitely check to see what you're missing out on in the refreshed models.

Also, the 6 seaters might be more cool looking, but at the expense of a larger cargo area, since they don't fold flat. Just going to throw that out there since you thought a 6 or 7 seater was your preference.

I'm not going to tell you this is or isn't a good deal. But it sounds like it's pre-refresh, so I would definitely check to see what you're missing out on in the refreshed models.

Also, the 6 seaters might be more cool looking, but at the expense of a larger cargo area, since they don't fold flat. Just going to throw that out there since you thought a 6 or 7 seater was your preference.

Just way too many things upgraded in 2022 and later models for me to ignore them. I decided to just stay put and let the 2023 model X get to a more affordable price with low miles used

Can you give me one example that you think is major? I am sorry I am new to the Tesla ecosystem.
Horizontal screen is a big thing. Legacy vertical doesn’t support the automatic side camera which is standard for a lot of cars now. OP made the right choice. Having a Tesla out of warranty is scary in my opinion. Everything with the car is so darn expensive. Haven’t had to deal with it yet but dreading the 4 year mark!

Can you give me one example that you think is major? I am sorry I am new to the Tesla ecosystem.
Late 2022 builds and later have the following things that 2019-2021 models do not. And it’s not even worth discussing 2018 and older model X’s anymore.

1. Heat pump
2. Horizontal screen
3. Ryzen CPU
4. Phone key support
5. HW4 (2023 and later)
6. Ventilated seats (I think 2023 and later)
7. One pedal driving - I think. Not sure.
8. Matrix headlights - I think. Not sure.
9. Rear screen entertainment center for kids
10. Two phone wireless charger

NONE of the newer Teslas have radar / USS which makes it impossible for them to implement any kind of real rear cross traffic alert system and that is definitely my only gripe with Teslas as a whole, given how amazingly helpful that feature has been in my current cars.

They do not have blind spot mirrors (blind spot monitors are absolutely present and work well but I do like the little blinking light) but the refreshed Model 3 added traditional blind spot monitoring mirrors, which means it’s coming when the X and Y and S refresh likely. This one in particular is not a huge deal but just mentioning it nonetheless.

But otherwise, absolutely amazing cars. I personally dislike Y’s shape and pretty much every aspect of it (harsh suspension and too plain of an interior for an EV for the kind of money they’re asking for but again, just my personal opinion, clearly millions of buyers disagree with me lol). And 3 and S are too low for me, but I am just fascinated by the X.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Late 2022 builds and later have the following things that 2019-2021 models do not. And it’s not even worth discussing 2018 and older model X’s anymore.

1. Heat pump
2. Horizontal screen
3. Ryzen CPU
4. Phone key support
5. HW4 (2023 and later)
6. Ventilated seats
7. One pedal driving - I think. Not sure.
8. Matrix headlights - I think. Not sure.
9. Rear screen
10. Two phone wireless charger

NONE of the newer Teslas have radar / USS which makes it impossible for them to implement any kind of real rear cross traffic alert system and that is definitely my only gripe with Teslas as a whole, given how amazingly helpful that feature has been in my current cars.

They do not have blind spot mirrors (blind spot monitors are absolutely present and work well but I do like the little blinking light) but the refreshed Model 3 added traditional blind spot monitoring mirrors, which means it’s coming when the X and Y and S refresh likely. This one in particular is not a huge deal but just mentioning it nonetheless. But otherwise, absolutely amazing cars. I personally dislike Y’s shape. And 3 and S are too low for me, but I am fascinated by X.
Thank you so much

Horizontal screen is a big thing. Legacy vertical doesn’t support the automatic side camera which is standard for a lot of cars now. OP made the right choice. Having a Tesla out of warranty is scary in my opinion. Everything with the car is so darn expensive. Haven’t had to deal with it yet but dreading the 4 year mark!
Thanks. What is OP? I'm still learning lol

They do not have blind spot mirrors (blind spot monitors are absolutely present and work well but I do like the little blinking light) but the refreshed Model 3 added traditional blind spot monitoring mirrors, which means it’s coming when the X and Y and S refresh likely.
The cameras are there, the screen is there and shows 3 cameras when reversing. Seems like an OTA update could make that happen if they are serious about improving the vehicles over time that way.