Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

X Owner test drives new Model X Dual-Motor - Jan2024

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are my impressions of the Model X Dual Motor (likely 2023 model) based on my 40-minute Jan2024 test drive, suspension set to comfort mode and standard height.
This new X was a Dual-motor with Ultra Red paint, 22-inch wheels, tan interior, 5-seater.
My daily driver is 2016 Model X P90D Ludicrous+ with FSD Beta, on 20-inch stock wheels, vegan white seats with piping/ventilated. MCU2 upgraded.

SUMMARY : 2023 X base model is fast, it drives about the same as my 2016 Performance, but nicer and more luxurious interior, and better range/charging.

Benefits of new 2023 Dual-Motor X I drove, compared to my late-2016 P90D Ludicrous X
- Adaptive suspension is more comfortable on bumpy roads, even with the 22s.
- Interior looks much better, is much more luxurious, and is quieter.
- Acceleration is plenty fast, about the same as my P90D Ludicrous. Acceleration is MUCH better than the 2020 Raven Long Range I tried last year. This fast acceleration on the 2023 Dual-motor base was the biggest surprise of the test drive.
- Windshield seemed a bit sharper and clearer, with better tinting near the top.
- Faster and more responsive screen. Brighter and more colorful screen.
- EPA Range of 348 miles (vs. 224 miles currently on my P90D)
- More efficient vehicle, probably using 10% less energy than my 2016 if same wheels/tires.
- Supercharging speeds and curve way better, therefore better road tripper.
- 1-pedal driving all the way to a stop was great ( X got that feature in 2019 with Raven update ).
- Ultra-red is the best X color
- Lithium-ion 12V/16V battery is way more reliable compared to 12V lead-acid battery in the 2021 and earlier X, which can leave you stranded at any moment.
- Small touch-screen for 2nd row is nice.
- Bluetooth phone key is great, although I would still carry and use the bluetooth fob to open wing doors while approaching with my toddler.
- New ventilated seats probably work great, I forgot to test it. My 2016 ventilated seats make sound, but don't move much air.

Benefits of my late-2016 P90D Ludicrous X compared to new 2023 Dual-Motor X
- Around $40K cheaper to buy today, feels like mostly the same vehicle when not on road trips, drives about the same.
- Autopilot/FSD Beta experience is way better, there is no in-cabin camera nagging me. I have all new cameras that were installed by Tesla for free in 2023.
- Acceleration 0 to 30 seems faster than new 2023 Dual-Motor. Then about the same acceleration 30 to 90.
- I have a full set of ultrasonic sensors for proximity warnings.
- Driver door swings open wide when I approach.
- Touchscreen is same 17-inch size as new X. Vertical and integrated into the dash and angled toward driver is OK with me. Maybe easier to reach down low.
- Gloss-black shiny seatbacks look like a work of art. These were discontinued in early 2017.
- My premium audio system sounds the same as the 2023 X. Premium vegan 2016 front seats felt equally comfortable as new 2023 seats. Standard 2017 and 2020 seats felt not as good when I tried those.

Hope this helps. If anyone wants to discuss then please share.
screenshot-www.tesla.com-2024.02.06-14_06_42.png

I have a 2017 MX 100D--Love the car but a couple of challenges--The HVAC in the 2017 is not up to the task of keeping the car cool in the 105+ degrees I live in in the Mojave Desert. The new heat pump should solve this (I have a 2024 Incentive version on order). I am going to miss the self presenting doors--I cannot understand why they crippled them. The FWDs have ultrasonic sensors still. It seems like they should be able to sense anything close and send it to the front door. . I do expect the cameras in HW 4 will be able to spot objects in the way. Let's hope. No one has mentioned the new Matrix headlamps. These seem to me a major upgrade. The $7500 + FSD transfer + USC transfer + warranty running out in September + range + SC speed + Air conditioner upgrade did it for me. Am going to shed a tear for the carbon fiber interior and white seats (though mine have bluejeans stains). But the steralt gray and black interior are fine.

Reactions: Bigriver
I have a 2017 MX 100D--Love the car but a couple of challenges--The HVAC in the 2017 is not up to the task of keeping the car cool in the 105+ degrees I live in in the Mojave Desert. The new heat pump should solve this (I have a 2024 Incentive version on order). I am going to miss the self presenting doors--I cannot understand why they crippled them. The FWDs have ultrasonic sensors still. It seems like they should be able to sense anything close and send it to the front door. . I do expect the cameras in HW 4 will be able to spot objects in the way. Let's hope. No one has mentioned the new Matrix headlamps. These seem to me a major upgrade. The $7500 + FSD transfer + USC transfer + warranty running out in September + range + SC speed + Air conditioner upgrade did it for me. Am going to shed a tear for the carbon fiber interior and white seats (though mine have bluejeans stains). But the steralt gray and black interior are fine.
I talked to a tech who said that they will bring the self presenting doors to full functionality with software updates. He explained some of the challenges of the sensors and how they didn’t work on the passenger side since that side used falcon wing door sensor to determine if there is an obstacle. Apparently they also had issues with the driver door sensor sometimes failing to detect objects and banging the door against them. He said vision will address all those issues. We shall see.

Just picked up my tax incentive MXLR- looks so much better in person than the pictures. 20" wheels and dark wheel caps actually make it look somewhat badass compared to my MYLR. MX is quite a bit bigger and smoother. I was able to transfer my FSD from my MY, even with delivery date in April. FWDs both work fine but will open only partially- "quick open". I then have to hit the up button again. The guy at the delivery center did not know what to do about this...maybe someone here in the forum does?!

No big issues yet- no glaring panel gaps. Rear cover panels for the rear cargo are not flush- but I placed a rubber floor mat over it anyway.

Storage.

The refresh frunk is not only tiny but so limitied in weight . MY older 2017 MX was 400lbs for the frunk and the frunk has shrunk in volume by about 40%. Also the lower trunk has shrunk- now I have to peel back carpeting to fit my Dometic CFX-3-35 fridge freezer. (ever need to grocery shop then charge while groceries are getting warm? No longer with the dometic.

cigarette lighter style Outlets are NOW 16V so be careful . The fridge can handle 12-24V. I use camp mode to keep the fridge on - although this disables entry mode and you must manual lock. To reduce battery drain in camp mode I switch to manual and move fan speed to "1" and set the temp as close as possible to the ambient temp.

Headlights are way better the old ones were kinda sad. Mode foot room, titling screen is nice, acceleration + charging is faster (Almost too fast at times I wish I could slow it sometimes to be able to finish a road tip meal without interruption or fear of idling fees).

Autopilot is super annoying compared to my original 2016 MX 75d. MY 2017 MX 90d was always kicking me off autopilot.

But the new 2023 MXLR is driving me nuts with lane warning and early collision warnings dinging my tesla insurance for being too over reactive.