Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used 2020/21 Model S or new Model 3-LR?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Experts-

I’m seeking advice on upgrading my current Tesla.

I currently own a 2020 Model3-SR but am ready to upgrade for AWD and better range. However, I value accurate parking sensors and Tesla Vision with current camera configuration comes up very lacking in my test drive experience.

I’m considering the following options - any advice on pros/cons?

- Used Model S (2020/2021, <40K miles)
- Used Model3 - LR (21/22, before parking sensors removed)
- New Model 3 - LR Highland when available in US

The first two options are about the same in terms of price, the third option would be about 2-8K more depending on price and tax credit qualifications at time of availability.

I am not in a terrible rush but hope whatever I get will meet my needs for 6-10 more years.

Hello Tesla Experts-

I’m seeking advice on upgrading my current Tesla.

I currently own a 2020 Model3-SR but am ready to upgrade for AWD and better range. However, I value accurate parking sensors and Tesla Vision with current camera configuration comes up very lacking in my test drive experience.

I’m considering the following options - any advice on pros/cons?

- Used Model S (2020/2021, <40K miles)
- Used Model3 - LR (21/22, before parking sensors removed)
- New Model 3 - LR Highland when available in US

The first two options are about the same in terms of price, the third option would be about 2-8K more depending on price and tax credit qualifications at time of availability.

I am not in a terrible rush but hope whatever I get will meet my needs for 6-10 more years.
I personally don't understand the overwhelming important and single factor of a very specific level of parking sensors accuracy to determine the expensive purchase of a car that you plan to keep for 6 to 8 years.

Obviously a car is much more than just it's parking sensors abilities, that's why I don't understand why you are basing a purchase decision on that one single factor considering that longer range is a much, much bigger factor in any EV purchase decision.

On another note, from reading about the vision based parking sensors from current owners- they are getting better with updates and will continue to get better with further updates.

Casey,
The heck with the money do whatever you need to do to buy a new Model 3 LR, the so-called "Highland".
You get a much nicer feel, a full warranty, and that great feel whenever you buy a new vs. used car.
Besides.. my father always told me "Buy a used car and you're buying another man's troubles".

Thanks Ken -- good advice. I think you're right. I also appreciate the comment above that range should outweigh parking sensors in a battle of features. That said, I'll still hope that Tesla adds the needed cameras or sensors soon to give reliable and accurate park assist before I make my purchase (and that the car soon qualifies again for federal rebates). Software updates can only do so much when the cameras and sensors aren't there to give the input, which is why I hesitate to buy now.