Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 v 2021 v 2022 used Model S (non-Plaid)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a long-time driver of a 2013 Model S (85kw), and I'm starting to look into replacing it with a newer model year. It's held up very well overall, but the battery capacity has diminished significantly.

I'm inclined to buy used but probably wouldn't go any further back than 2020. Does anyone have any strong feelings between the 2020, 2021, and 2022 S? Any relative pros or cons of those model years I should be aware of?

FWIW, I wouldn't be getting a Plaid model, but beyond that, I'm not set on any particular features (other than paint color), so I'm open to suggestions on what features are worth it from those model years and what aren't.

As long as you're looking late 2019+ then you're getting the Raven updates. After late 2021 you're basically getting the current car maybe without the tilting front screen and with a smaller rear screen for the late 2021's and early 2022's if those things matter to you.

In both cases, you get the adaptive air suspension. Having owned a Raven Model X and now a 2021 S Plaid (bought used from Tesla) I'll say there is a massive step up from the Raven generation to the Plaid/current generation in a few areas:
- seat comfort - softer materials in current gen along with cooled seats in the front (which are also more supportive)
- screens - front horizontal is sharper and clearer vs the older vertical in your car and 2019's and 2020's
- looks - subjective, but the newer cars are wider
- efficiency - my Raven Model X did not have a heat pump, my S Plaid does and it's a noticeable improvement in a NJ winter
- interior quiet - double insulated glass and noise canceling in the current generation make it much, much quieter inside
- charging speed - newer vehicles regularly hit 250-255kw on a v3 Supercharger, I could never get close to that with the Raven. Both will probably be much, much faster than your 2013 and you may rarely, if ever, supercharge depending on your use cases.
- full one-pedal driving is much smoother on the current cars. It works on the Raven's, sort of.

I'm sure someone else can articulate a long feature list. The Raven's are an outstanding value and get you 80% of the way there. Only you can decide what that last 20% is worth to you. Having owned a Raven generation vehicle, I'm very happy with the newer model, it's almost a full refresh vs. the partial/light refresh of the Raven (despite the motor and suspension improvements).

The 2019 and early 2020 ravens have an 8yr/unlimited mileage battery/drive warranty. Late 2020+ have 150k.

The raven was the last iteration of the original platform while the 2021+ is a whole new platform. For this reason, the techs generally say they see fewer problems with the ravens.

That being said, there ravens get fewer updates than the horizontal screen palladium’s so you will want to get the 2021+ refresh if the entertainment updates are important to you

19-20….
Raven S performance is a great car
2.5 0-60 and sub 11 in 1/4 solid range reliable and if you look, you can find low mile examples under 50 K
Only you can decide if it’s worth spending another 10 K for Long Range 2021 or 17 K extra for a 2021 Plaid. Some will say yes some will say no.
👍

Reactions: LonghornDub
The biggest difference for me is the stalk controls. 2020 and earlier still have them, but they were removed in 2021. No stalk controls is a show-stopper for me.

I also prefer the vertical screen on 2020 and earlier because it is built into the dash.
I will eventually be in the same position as the OP and I agree with these points 100%. The vertical screen just makes so much more sense to me as it provides a better/more useful view of the map as you drive along. When I had a M3 as a loaner a couple years ago, I immediately noticed that I couldn't see quite as much ahead on my route with the horizontal screen.

I also really prefer the MS use - at least in the older versions - of conventional physical stalks. It makes it much easier to hand the car off to someone else if needed and much easier for me when I switch to driving my wife's car etc. Minimalism is good, up to a point, but for me the M3 and current MS go a little too far.

Get a post Feb 22 Build Model S "Standard/Long Range" you'll have USS, HW3, Matrix headlights, global taillights, computer with twice the storage and ram, and the swivel screen. The only thing missing on that Palladium is the HW4 updates, 9.4" rear screen. The Model S has had incremental updates every year since 2021. So the newer the better. Palladium has a heatpump and a bunch of architecture improvements. This year is expected to get: "Efficiency packages, RGB Ambient lighting, New Steering wheel/Yoke w center horn, and front bumper camera." Outside of having the latest version, the 22/23 HW3 cars are the sweet spot. IMHO.

Reactions: cptnslo and morbidz
I’m seeing 10.93 at 128 unless you’re just rounding up. Slower but not 11s
The 21"s are also slower than the 19"s. You can probably shave another 10th off by swapping wheels. The drivetrain seems to be a revised raven performance setup with the Plaid Battery (The Palladiums only have one battery P/N). Which means it could/should be even faster... got to spread it out from the Plaid though. Still hoping for a "ludicrous acceleration boost" upgrade for the base model.

Reactions: cptnslo
The 21"s are also slower than the 19"s. You can probably shave another 10th off by swapping wheels. The drivetrain seems to be a revised raven performance setup with the Plaid Battery (The Palladiums only have one battery P/N). Which means it could/should be even faster... got to spread it out from the Plaid though. Still hoping for a "ludicrous acceleration boost" upgrade for the base model.
Anything that can get me into the mid to low 10s would be gold! I’m waiting for Pueblo co to open for test and tune and I’ll go there to get some baselines. Bandimere closed sadly so I have to drive to Pueblo. I wanna see what the higher altitude and less wind resistance will do. At the last test and tune at Bandi there was a M3P, gold wrap with some carbon lips etc running in the 10s and I’m very confused how haha. He must’ve had some HEFTY weight loss on the inside. I never got to talk to him