Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How thorough is Tesla trade in inspection for non-Tesla vehicles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure which section to post this in.

some info on the trade in vehicle:
My 2014 Kia Sportage SX started making a loud ticking noise about 2 months ago. It makes the noise on cold starts and lasts about 2-3 minutes. Once the engine is warmed up it goes away completely. It still drives well, I drive 40 miles round trip to work 5 days a week. Was busy with work (lots of mandatory overtime), holidays, kids, etc. Just dropped it off at the Kia dealership yesterday. They just called and said the turbo bearing is worn out and will cost $5,000 parts and labor to replace the whole turbo. Back in Jun 2021, it went into limp mode after work on the highway, but could still drive 50 mph to the dealership. Kia replaced the engine and covered part of the car rental, but still cost me $900 for 2 weeks rental. Oct 2021 got home from work and smelled gasoline. The high pressure fuel pump was leaking and i got it replaced immediately. Its the cause of most of the Kia/Hyundai engine fires that were on the news, and had a recall. Still cost me $1,100. Last Oct the bushings were worn out on the control arms, cost $2,000.

last Feb when we got the 3 we kept my wife's 09 Corolla for my MiL to use. a few months later she no longer needed it and we sold it to Carmax. They did a fairly thorough inspection before cutting us a check. the whole process took 2 hours. So how thorough is Telsa with non-Tesla trade ins?

Thanks in advance.

I guess it could vary from location to location, but when I traded in my Ford Explorer (in 2021), it was inspected by my sales advisor. I highly doubt he was a certified auto mechanic. He looked the car over cosmetically versus the pictures submitted and verified the mileage on the car was within the acceptable variance of the reported mileage on the trade-in offer and that was it. It was about 5 minutes and the car never even moved from the spot where I parked it.

Tesla sends these cars to auction almost immediately. I set a Google alert on the VIN for my Explorer and in less than 2 weeks it was at a used car dealer in Chattanooga, TN, and a week after that it was sold.

Upvote 0
When I traded in my Chevy Volt back in 2017, the experience was I go and take photos and send it over to them via the link portal they provided. They told me to take pictures of the front, side, rear, and notes any imperfection. Then, they provide a trade in quote. The day they deliver my Model S, the truck driver who delivered me the Model S, took the Volt same day.

Reactions: Skavatar
Upvote 0
I picked up my Model 3 on December 29th, 2020... so perhaps end of quarter made a difference... but in my experience, they could care less.

We waited inside their building for like 10 minutes, signed a few sheets of paper, handed them the old keys, and drove away in the new car.

They do require photos of the vehicle from various angles, and do ask you if the vehicle has Ang mechanical issues.

My guess is, they build this into their low-ball trade in offers. Take enough trade-ins and you're going to get some lemons.

Upvote 0