Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging immediately after buying a used Tesla from a non-Tesla dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RDoc

2021 Prerefresh Model S
  • I'm in the process of buying a used Model S from a non-Tesla dealer that I will be picking up in another state and then driving back home the same day.
  • It's very likely I'll need to charge on the way back and would like to use a Supercharger rather than a slow public charger.
  • I already have a Tesla account for my existing Tesla and have a credit card on file for payments.
  • I understand that I can add the Model S to my account by uploading a photo of the title and bill of sale. However, that can take days to clear which won't work for driving back the same day. I'm sure I can do the add process at the dealership, but can't wait days for it to go through.
My question is if and how I can do this, that is, supercharge the car on the way back. I've read that Tesla will allow one charging for a new car but it's not clear when that can happen and what the conditions are for it. I've not been able to find any information about how this works on the Tesla site.

Reactions: gazpachopolice
We did this very thing buying a used Model Y from a non-Tesla dealer. I can't remember the exact process, but we were able to add the car to the account pretty much instantaneously. We may have had to take a picture of the bill of sale, but there was no delay in getting the car onto the account. And keep in mind, this dealer had NO clue about Teslas (the salesman couldn't even figure out how to open the door).

Reactions: gazpachopolice
We did this very thing buying a used Model Y from a non-Tesla dealer. I can't remember the exact process, but we were able to add the car to the account pretty much instantaneously. We may have had to take a picture of the bill of sale, but there was no delay in getting the car onto the account. And keep in mind, this dealer had NO clue about Teslas (the salesman couldn't even figure out how to open the door).
That sounds good!