Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sleeping with the Enemy!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats pretty cool, thanks for sharing, it has to be model Y awd cuz it was over by 30 mph

Congrats and welcome to the Cult lol.

For your SSD drive, a lot of us use the Samsung T5 or T7. It's rock solid and bullet proof. I've had the same T5 in multiple Tesla's. There's also a T9, but it's not necessary. The T5 is sufficient, but the T7 and T9 will excel when transferring music from a NVMe SSD on your computer. You'll want to partition your drive and name a folder in one of the partitions, MUSIC.

I'm in the market for a Plaid and weighing some options.

Regarding your current ICE cars, a good friend has a Hellcat and a total gear head. However, after driving a Model X Plaid it changed him. The instant torque and the ability to put all the power down effortlessly was what turned him.

I asked him before what he thought about the crazy performance of these fast EVs like the Plaid that can pretty much eat 99.9% of the cars on the road for lunch. (Straight line one trick pony, I get it as the Plaid is a boat in track settings. However, it still makes cars look like they're going backwards.)

"It's a new era and a whole new ball game now. I mean, we buy performance cars for performance, to go fast and to try and beat the other guy at the track, but my car is inconsistent, because I can't put the power to the ground. Chances of winning consistenly are low without consistiency."

Another thing he said that he'll miss is the exhaust sound, which I can relate coming from the Euro Import world.

"You can rev as loud as you want, but getting smoked by another car (not even an EV) after showing off puts permanent holes in your ego bubble."

I get where he's coming from and have always been curious what other muscle car owners think now with the introduction of EVs like the Plaid and even non EVs such as the BMWs xDrive etc.. that are very good from a dig.

I'm very curious to get your take and insight as an owner of your muscle cars and now an owner of the Plaid. From what I've seen, it's a pretty rare situation as most muscle car guys are against EVs so when I saw your post, it presented a great opportunty to ask.

Enjoy your Plaid!

Reactions: ill_smo_q
Congrats and welcome to the Cult lol.

For your SSD drive, a lot of us use the Samsung T5 or T7. It's rock solid and bullet proof. I've had the same T5 in multiple Tesla's. There's also a T9, but it's not necessary. The T5 is sufficient, but the T7 and T9 will excel when transferring music from a NVMe SSD on your computer. You'll want to partition your drive and name a folder in one of the partitions, MUSIC.
What Size, 1 TB or 2 TB ? (and how do you 'secure' it from sliding around in the glove box?

While we are at it, I noticed that my 2 usb-C in the arm rest, seem to be the only ones that can 'recharge' a ps5 controller, the back two, under the rear screen 'work' but they wont charge anything. Why is that? (in total an MS only have 5 total usb ports right? 1 in glove box, 2 in center arm rest and 2 in rear seat area under TV?
I'm in the market for a Plaid and weighing some options.

Regarding your current ICE cars, a good friend has a Hellcat and a total gear head. However, after driving a Model X Plaid it changed him. The instant torque and the ability to put all the power down effortlessly was what turned him.
I will say this, anyone that says EV isn't the most exhilarating between the two as far as instant performance, clearly is lying to themselves. The big issue I have is that the Tesla when 'pushed' seems less capable in the turns (you feel its weight) than even my Durango (its lowered a bit though, so its not the normal boat Suv), and the ICE cars allows me to 'downshift' to make some noise so people get the hell out of my way. The Tesla seems to create no urgency when people see me behind them. In a Super Charged v8, the noise is enough to scare them, even though the PLAID is faster. (and heck sometimes, I just love the sound of a v8 roar, shoot sometimes, I try to find a 'downshift' button on the TELSA to elicite NOISE out of it, and I laugh at myself and say 'yeah wrong car'
I asked him before what he thought about the crazy performance of these fast EVs like the Plaid that can pretty much eat 99.9% of the cars on the road for lunch. (Straight line one trick pony, I get it as the Plaid is a boat in track settings. However, it still makes cars look like they're going backwards.)
Thats about as accurate as I think anyone could summarize it.
"It's a new era and a whole new ball game now. I mean, we buy performance cars for performance, to go fast and to try and beat the other guy at the track, but my car is inconsistent, because I can't put the power to the ground. Chances of winning consistenly are low without consistiency."
This is true, BUT isnt that the SPORT of it? The car rewards you when you do it right, and embarasses you when you do it wrong. The plaid takes NO skill. I have an AWD 700hp Durango, so its VERY consistent, thanks to awd, the REDEye with 800hp would be a *sugar* show if I tried to rip it on anything other than drag tires. The Demon 170 is pure drag car, its braking and handling make the Tesla look like a porsche 911 GT3 lol.
Another thing he said that he'll miss is the exhaust sound, which I can relate coming from the Euro Import world.
The SOUND is what these ICE cars have going for them, and their 'lighter' weight approach to making power.. but the plaid is all-around better, BUT they arent taking the plaids away from us, they are taking the v8 super chargers... so if I had to sell, it would be the plaid, because the other ones I wont ever be able to order new again. (If the plaid was eliminated due to fed regulations, then it would be the keeper. We always want what they say we cant have.
"You can rev as loud as you want, but getting smoked by another car (not even an EV) after showing off puts permanent holes in your ego bubble."

I get where he's coming from and have always been curious what other muscle car owners think now with the introduction of EVs like the Plaid and even non EVs such as the BMWs xDrive etc.. that are very good from a dig.

I'm very curious to get your take and insight as an owner of your muscle cars and now an owner of the Plaid. From what I've seen, it's a pretty rare situation as most muscle car guys are against EVs so when I saw your post, it presented a great opportunty to ask.
Lets be VERY clear, I AM that typical EV HATER... it doesn't have the sound, I hate range anxiety, it feels heavy when pushed.... BUT no one can deny its performance figures when you hit the go pedal, and thats what forced my hand, I knew it was the fastest car out there for anything less than a 1/4 mill. (Lucid Air Saphire is faster for 1/4 mill, but few know that, and paying 2x the price for maybe 15-20% (guessing) performance doesnt make sense to me.
Enjoy your Plaid!
Oh WE ARE... my kids who have been driven in Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, GTRs, Vipers, Demons, Hellcats, and many more... proclaim the PLAID as the best car we even had.... A little part of me dies when they say that lol.. being a car nut... but I mean, who is going to tell teenage boys they are wrong, that TVs in the back that play video games shouldn't be the overwhelming decision criteria as to why its better. lol..

Also please note, I am more of an Italian Exotics kinda guy than muscle car guy, I actually want my cars to take turns.. lol... My instagram is: ill_smo_q and you can see the many cars, and know my kids have picked the Tesla over them all :( (I have failed)

Reactions: Elektrick
What Size, 1 TB or 2 TB ? (and how do you 'secure' it from sliding around in the glove box?

While we are at it, I noticed that my 2 usb-C in the arm rest, seem to be the only ones that can 'recharge' a ps5 controller, the back two, under the rear screen 'work' but they wont charge anything. Why is that? (in total an MS only have 5 total usb ports right? 1 in glove box, 2 in center arm rest and 2 in rear seat area under TV?

I will say this, anyone that says EV isn't the most exhilarating between the two as far as instant performance, clearly is lying to themselves. The big issue I have is that the Tesla when 'pushed' seems less capable in the turns (you feel its weight) than even my Durango (its lowered a bit though, so its not the normal boat Suv), and the ICE cars allows me to 'downshift' to make some noise so people get the hell out of my way. The Tesla seems to create no urgency when people see me behind them. In a Super Charged v8, the noise is enough to scare them, even though the PLAID is faster. (and heck sometimes, I just love the sound of a v8 roar, shoot sometimes, I try to find a 'downshift' button on the TELSA to elicite NOISE out of it, and I laugh at myself and say 'yeah wrong car'

This is true, BUT isnt that the SPORT of it? The car rewards you when you do it right, and embarasses you when you do it wrong. The plaid takes NO skill. I have an AWD 700hp Durango, so its VERY consistent, thanks to awd, the REDEye with 800hp would be a *sugar* show if I tried to rip it on anything other than drag tires. The Demon 170 is pure drag car, its braking and handling make the Tesla look like a porsche 911 GT3 lol.

The SOUND is what these ICE cars have going for them, and their 'lighter' weight approach to making power.. but the plaid is all-around better, BUT they arent taking the plaids away from us, they are taking the v8 super chargers... so if I had to sell, it would be the plaid, because the other ones I wont ever be able to order new again. (If the plaid was eliminated due to fed regulations, then it would be the keeper. We always want what they say we cant have.

Lets be VERY clear, I AM that typical EV HATER... it doesn't have the sound, I hate range anxiety, it feels heavy when pushed.... BUT no one can deny its performance figures when you hit the go pedal, and thats what forced my hand, I knew it was the fastest car out there for anything less than a 1/4 mill. (Lucid Air Saphire is faster for 1/4 mill, but few know that, and paying 2x the price for maybe 15-20% (guessing) performance doesnt make sense to me.

Oh WE ARE... my kids who have been driven in Lambos, Ferraris, Porsches, GTRs, Vipers, Demons, Hellcats, and many more... proclaim the PLAID as the best car we even had.... A little part of me dies when they say that lol.. being a car nut... but I mean, who is going to tell teenage boys they are wrong, that TVs in the back that play video games shouldn't be the overwhelming decision criteria as to why its better. lol..

Also please note, I am more of an Italian Exotics kinda guy than muscle car guy, I actually want my cars to take turns.. lol... My instagram is: ill_smo_q and you can see the many cars, and know my kids have picked the Tesla over them all :( (I have failed)
What would freak you out even more is if you get the Track brakes and unlock torque vectoring. I promise you the car feels like a different model. It will run with 911s at the track having guys scratching their heads on how . Best i can try to describe the difference is like driving in " chill " mode then realizing " plaid" . The pedal feels different taking corners and exiting is crazy . Your brain gets confused because prior to the brake upgrade and torque vectoring it fails in corners.

Reactions: Elektrick
What would freak you out even more is if you get the Track brakes and unlock torque vectoring. I promise you the car feels like a different model. It will run with 911s at the track having guys scratching their heads on how . Best i can try to describe the difference is like driving in " chill " mode then realizing " plaid" . The pedal feels different taking corners and exiting is crazy . Your brain gets confused because prior to the brake upgrade and torque vectoring it fails in corners.
Its already on my to-do list. I intentionally got the 19 inch wheels becasue I did NOT want to invest any money in another set of 20s, when I knew the track pack came with wheels/tires. $20,000 is absolutely a reasonable price in my book for wheels/tires/brakes/rotors, I just have a hard time charging that to a credit card without knowing how long I will have to wait for it. I'll pay off the CC immediately but then I will just feel 20k gone, and nothing to show for it. Does it work differently than that? I heard people have been waiting MONTHS for theirs...

Its already on my to-do list. I intentionally got the 19 inch wheels becasue I did NOT want to invest any money in another set of 20s, when I knew the track pack came with wheels/tires. $20,000 is absolutely a reasonable price in my book for wheels/tires/brakes/rotors, I just have a hard time charging that to a credit card without knowing how long I will have to wait for it. I'll pay off the CC immediately but then I will just feel 20k gone, and nothing to show for it. Does it work differently than that? I heard people have been waiting MONTHS for theirs...
I would go to the service center to confirm wait times before ordering but its faster times i hear now

I think the Tesla Plaid S competes pretty well at Nurburgring for a boat.

Although to be fair, the EVs are still running about a half-minute behind the exotics, and right now an upcoming Porsche Taycan EV eclipsed the S while we await the Roadster, FYI.

Reactions: WeaponX

Great stuff, thanks for sharing and for the reply. I would definitely get the track package on your Plaid to get you closer to what you're used to. I'll message you on IG.

I think the Tesla Plaid S competes pretty well at Nurburgring for a boat.

Although to be fair, the EVs are still running about a half-minute behind the exotics, and right now an upcoming Porsche Taycan EV eclipsed the S while we await the Roadster, FYI.

Old news, but yes that's with a track package, which is important to note as most people think it's a stock Plaid. Brakes, Tires and Suspension make a huge difference in the track world and I'm sure most of us who have track time under out belts all understand this extremely well. Even for those that play video games understand this enough to know.

The Plaid with the Track Package ran 7:25.231. That 2021 Plaid's time of 7:35.579 (although controversial), but for the sake of showing the difference of 10 seconds shows how the Track Package is worth it to those that value having better driving dynamics and characteristics.

Regarding the boat reference, the Plaid makes up a ton of ground due to its straight line speed. ie. It's definitely not due to how well it turns. If you were to put that power into a Model 3 for example, which is far more nimble, it would crush the Nurburgring. A lot of us would pay to see that one I'm sure.

While not taking away from the Plaid (I absolutely love the car for its timeless design, straight line performance and value), you have EVs half the price like the new IONIQ 5N clocking in 7:45:59 in stock form on stock tires. With a better set of tires alone it could for sure put down a better time, which I'm sure we'll see soon.

How about the new Model 3 Ludacris on the Nurburgring? Very highly anticipated. This should be very similar to the new IONIQ 5N +/-, but again the point here is that if it does perform better, chipping inside the ~10 sec delta we're seeing in the examples above, it just goes to show how much of a "boat" like characterstic the Plaid possess.

That doesn't mean that a boat can't perform well around the track, it just underlines the fact that the Plaid's weak spot is having the boat like characteristics. It's a big boy, heavy (for obvious reasons) and that's okay.

I absolutely love the Plaid. It's pretty much the King of the streets that will destroy the loud for nothing cars (99.9999% of them), but on track days I'll be taking my M3P for many reasons.

It's also exciting to see the rival between Porsche and Tesla in the EV space. Competition is good and exciting. You've 'gotta' give credit to Tesla (a software company first, tech company second and a car company last) for making a long time veteren in the game like Porsche sweat. Major Kudos to Tesla.

I think in the very near future, we'll see EVs overtake the current top spots in many different categories, including the Nurburgring.

I thought I’d say HI as a new member. I’m a life long car nut, not actually a ‘save the world’ with EVs guy lol. But I am genuinely excited to learn so much about my 2024 Tesla Model S Plaid from you all. Feel free to point me to informative posts you feel I should read to learn more about the S plaid. Its my first EV, but I still have my horrendous gas guzzlers. I bought this car last week because the stats of the Tesla Plaid S are undeniable. I look to make meaningful contributions to this forum, but only after I get educated by it.

So HI to all and here are my current cars, you can see them all eyeballing the Tesla lol

View attachment 1036386
View attachment 1036387
That's the great thing about Tesla. People are buying the cars because of quality, styling, and often, because they are "cool". You don't have to even be aware of or care about climate change to help make a postive impact. Exact opposite of what the ICE manufacturers did for their electric cars before Tesla broke the rules.

I can’t deny that the Tesla is actually the best of the 4 for daily driving, my kids ask ‘we going to take the tesla?!’ Any time we head to the garage. Its the new car but its still the all around best. Oddly the Durango Hellcat is second best. The 807hp Redeye and 1050hp Demon170 are just for ‘show’, getting that kinda power down on the street (with RWD) is impossible. Tesla is point and click. I’m glad I got it! But I know very little about all its tech (despite being an IT guy) so I plan to learn from all the forum posts

I do actually, I get my cars from 1 dealer (steve white motors) and so I usually get them at invoice, employee pricing, msrp or a very marginal adm (when Demons allocations were selling for 100k over I got mine for $10k over (I ordered mine how I wanted). So always below ‘market’ but again because of the long relationship. OH I raced a model X I think on Friday with the Durango Hellcat (and against my buddies corvette) and I beat the X (it might not be an X I dont know these well enough yet, but definitely a suv tesla, said dual motor on the back. Will upload video if you want. After I pulled him we talked, and he too said how much he loves the Durango and was shocked how bad I beat him.

Lol, isnt the Tesla actually the heaviest of the lot? (Asking for a friend) 😂
So which costs more? Your car collection or your home?