Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What MS should I buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, I currently own a model 3 (2021) and have loved it for the last 2.5 years.
I have had an itch to upgrade to a refreshed S for the last few months and I think it’s time.

I’m currently debating which route to go:

A local dealer with a 2021 refreshed, it’s the color combo I want, with 21” arachnid (which I have to have) only 10k on the odometer for only $55k

I’m conflicted because any 2022-2023 (which are hard to find in general) seem to be priced in the $65-70k range with 20-30k miles

So my question is should I get the 2021 with low and save $15-20k? Is it worth spending 15-20k more for a 2022-2023? What are some differences I may regret. I know the titling screen is new (don’t care much for it) and the tail lights are slightly different. I work in automotive so I can get myself an extended warranty at cost.

I was also debating new for a while, but don’t think I want to spend $79k for the spec I want.

Any insight or suggestions are appreciated thanks!

Once you've verified the car's condition, and I'd definitely take a test drive to see if there are any noises (creaks, pops or rattles because those can be hard to fix) the only thing holding me back would be the shortened warranty. Since you can take care of that, I'd day go for it! Also check the inner tread on the rear tires, the 21s are known to have accelerated wear. Good luck!

I would get the new S LR, with 19's. I owned 4 Model S's and this car gets better and better every year. Matrix headlights are important to me, so that limits the field of S's I would consider. I don't care about FSD either, every time I even use autopilot with my wife in the car she reacts like a Mongolian Horde is attacking the car. I find the drive more pleasant if she sits behind me with her favorite audio book on, so I drive without the constant reaction from her....

Last edited:
I would get the new S LR, with 19's. I owned 4 Model S's and this car gets better and better every year. Matrix headlights are important to me, so that limits the field of S's I would consider. I don't care about FSD either, every time I even use autopilot with my wife in the car she reacts like a Mongolian Horde is attacking the car. I find the drive more pleasant if she sits behind me with her favorite audio book on, so I drive without the constant reaction from her....

if you qualify for the IRA (Inflation Reduction Act) $7500 tax rebate the base X starts at $72,490 new including the Point of Sales transaction tax rebate, which is why we ended up getting an X this time, so to answer your question, cross shop the X.

As of January 1, EV tax credits up to $7,500 for new clean vehicles and up to $4,000 for used EVs can now be applied at the point of sale. Eligible purchasers can receive full credits from dealers even if they owe federal taxes, according to The Associated Press.

Part of the Inflation Reduction Act, the change was announced by the Biden administration at the beginning of October 2023. Under guidance from the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service, the goal is to nudge American drivers into buying electric vehicles by lowering purchasing costs and help U.S. car dealers grow their business through increased EV sales.

Last edited:
if you qualify for the IRA (Inflation Reduction Act) $7500 tax rebate the base X starts at $72,490 new including the Point of Sales transaction tax rebate, which is why we ended up getting an X this time, so to answer your question, cross shop the X.

As of January 1, EV tax credits up to $7,500 for new clean vehicles and up to $4,000 for used EVs can now be applied at the point of sale. Eligible purchasers can receive full credits from dealers even if they owe federal taxes, according to The Associated Press.

Part of the Inflation Reduction Act, the change was announced by the Biden administration at the beginning of October 2023. Under guidance from the Treasury Department and the Internal Revenue Service, the goal is to nudge American drivers into buying electric vehicles by lowering purchasing costs and help U.S. car dealers grow their business through increased EV sales.
Unfortunately I don’t qualify for any of the tax incentives. Would have probably gotten an X if I did simply for the deal.

Hello all, I currently own a model 3 (2021) and have loved it for the last 2.5 years.
I have had an itch to upgrade to a refreshed S for the last few months and I think it’s time.

I’m currently debating which route to go:

A local dealer with a 2021 refreshed, it’s the color combo I want, with 21” arachnid (which I have to have) only 10k on the odometer for only $55k

I’m conflicted because any 2022-2023 (which are hard to find in general) seem to be priced in the $65-70k range with 20-30k miles

So my question is should I get the 2021 with low and save $15-20k? Is it worth spending 15-20k more for a 2022-2023? What are some differences I may regret. I know the titling screen is new (don’t care much for it) and the tail lights are slightly different. I work in automotive so I can get myself an extended warranty at cost.

I was also debating new for a while, but don’t think I want to spend $79k for the spec I want.

Any insight or suggestions are appreciated thanks!
Owning a car for less than 3 years isn't a long time. If you're able to wait, my guess is the Model S will get a major revision in the next 2-3 years. Just a guess though and price would likely go up a lot.

The base long range Model S is a great deal at current price though. I wouldn't get 21" rims if you're looking to keep costs down.

Doesn’t the used aspect ONLY work for used EV with a purchase price under 25k lol it’s basically a joke and bs
IMG_0297.png

Doesn’t the used aspect ONLY work for used EV with a purchase price under 25k lol it’s basically a joke and bs View attachment 1006612
I think my electric zero turn lawnmower qualifies, or my golf cart.. maybe an electric motorcycle could qualify

1704576168208.png

.02 Section 25E, Previously-Owned Clean Vehicles Credit

(1) Section 13402 of the IRA added § 25E to the Code. Section 25E(a) provides

that, in the case of a qualified buyer who during a taxable year places in service a

previously-owned clean vehicle, an income tax credit is allowed for the taxable year

equal to the lesser of: (1) $4,000, or (2) the amount equal to 30 percent of the sale price

with respect to such vehicle (§ 25E credit).

(2) Section 25E(c)(1) defines “previously-owned clean vehicle”, with respect to a

taxpayer, as a motor vehicle that satisfies the following requirements:

(a) The model year of the motor vehicle is at least 2 years earlier than the

calendar year in which the taxpayer acquires such vehicle.

(b) The original use of the motor vehicle commences with a person other than

the taxpayer.

(c) The motor vehicle is acquired by the taxpayer in a qualified sale.

(d) The motor vehicle:7

(i) Meets the requirements of § 30D(d)(1)(C), (D), (E), (F), and (H) (except for

§ 30D(d)(1)(H)(iv)), or

(ii) Is a motor vehicle that (I) satisfies the requirements under § 30B(b)(3)(A) and

(B), and (II) has a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 14,000 pounds.

(3) Section 25E(c)(2) defines a “qualified sale” as a sale of a motor vehicle:

(i) By a dealer (as defined in § 30D(g)(8)),

(ii)
For a sale price that does not exceed $25,000, and

(iii) That is the first transfer since the date of enactment to a qualified buyer other

than the person with whom the original use of such vehicle commenced.

(4) Section 25E(c)(3) defines the term “qualified buyer” for purposes of § 25E as a

taxpayer:

(a) Who is an individual,

(b) Who purchases such vehicle for use and not for resale,

(c) With respect to whom no deduction is allowable with respect to another

taxpayer under § 151, and

(d) Who has not been allowed a § 25E credit for any sale of a motor vehicle

during the 3-year period ending on the date of the sale of the previously-owned clean

vehicle.

(5) Section 25E(c)(4) defines “motor vehicle” and “capacity” to have the meaning

given such terms in § 30D(d)(2) and (4), respectively.

(6) Section 25E(d) provides that no credit is allowed under § 25(a) with respect to

any vehicle unless the taxpayer includes the vehicle identification number of such

vehicle on the return of tax for the taxable year.8

(7) Section 25E(f) provides that rules similar to § 30D(g) apply to the transfer of a

§ 25E credit for previously-owned vehicles (thus, a taxpayer also may elect to transfer a

§ 25E credit). For purposes of this revenue procedure, the program established under

§§ 30D(g)(7)(A) and 25E(f) to make advance payments of amounts of § 30D credits and

§ 25E credits to registered dealers with respect to eligible clean vehicles sold by such

dealers for which a taxpayer makes a transfer election is referred to as the “advance

payment program.”

(8) Section 13402(e)(2) of the IRA provides that the ability of a taxpayer to elect to

transfer a § 25E credit under § 25E(f) applies to vehicles acquired after December 31,

Last edited:
Reactions: evo9rs
Owning a car for less than 3 years isn't a long time. If you're able to wait, my guess is the Model S will get a major revision in the next 2-3 years. Just a guess though and price would likely go up a lot.

The base long range Model S is a great deal at current price though. I wouldn't get 21" rims if you're looking to keep costs down.
Problem with waiting is I expect model3 highland will release this year driving down my cars value. If that were the case I’ll be locked in it for a while. I think I’d rather be locked in an S than my 3

Problem with waiting is I expect model3 highland will release this year driving down my cars value. If that were the case I’ll be locked in it for a while. I think I’d rather be locked in an S than my 3
I don't think the highland will hurt your resale more than the money you've already lost from maybe selling a less than 3 year old car but a new Model S would work well for you I think. I don't think the price will get much lower but I would expect some upgrades to the Model S this year. Maybe minor though.

I don't think the highland will hurt your resale more than the money you've already lost from maybe selling a less than 3 year old car but a new Model S would work well for you I think. I don't think the price will get much lower but I would expect some upgrades to the Model S this year. Maybe minor though.
Yeah I’m leaning more toward new or a very low mileage 2022-2023

Reactions: dsm363