Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ear-Splitting Rumbling Sound When My Model S is in Motion (except when window rolled down)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Long-Range low-mileage Model S, and I love it. However, last week when I started to drive the car, the cabin was suddenly filled with an ear-splitting rumbling sound. At first, I thought there was an explosion nearby. Then, when I rolled down any window, the rumbling stopped. Roll the window back up, and the loud rumbling returned. Does anyone know what might be the cause?

Many thanks, Guys. Any idea why mine stopped when I rolled the window down?
I'm assuming the car tries to pick out some discrete frequencies that are loudest relative to the noise floor in the cabin, then tries to play tones that are 180º out of phase with them to cancel them out. By opening the window, you are adding white noise, increasing the noise floor by a lot, which probably makes the car stop trying to cancel out the frequencies it was picking up when the cabin was quieter.

I have a 2021 Long-Range low-mileage Model S, and I love it. However, last week when I started to drive the car, the cabin was suddenly filled with an ear-splitting rumbling sound. At first, I thought there was an explosion nearby. Then, when I rolled down any window, the rumbling stopped. Roll the window back up, and the loud rumbling returned. Does anyone know what might be the cause?

Could it be the HVAC settings creating pressure? Try changing the settings, recirculate or fresh air, maybe fan speed and see what that does.

Just a guess.

Could it be the HVAC settings creating pressure? Try changing the settings, recirculate or fresh air, maybe fan speed and see what that does.

Just a guess.

No, it's the ARNR. It's junk, doesn't work at all. I recommend disabling it 100% of the time. All it does is add noise 99.9% of the time. The other 0.1% of the time it does absolutely nothing at all. It's funny how Tesla removed something as vital as a rain sensor, but continues to waste their time with the junk that is ARNR and two sets of microphones in the front seats. So dumb I can't even...

Guys!

Thank you so much!

9k miles in- and just now reading this- solved one of my biggest mysteries on my MSP!
You’re welcome. Be happy that you have the option to disable this broken feature. I still have PTSD from when Tesla enabled the feature remotely in a shadow mode of sorts in my 2021 Model S before the toggle was even added officially in a software update. I had to drive around with that racket for over a month with no way to disable it. Felt like I was going to lose my mind.

Because it’s nothing to do with the OP’s stated symptoms?

The OPs symptoms are the classic cabin buffeting sound caused by incorrectly adjusted liftgate stops. Having it vanish when rolling down the window all but confirms it. Is it possible this "classic" problem is now also caused by malfunctioning ANC? I suppose, but I doubt it. It's more likely ANC may make it worse as the rapidly changing pressures will wreck having on ANC.

Last edited:
Try as I might, I do not see an "Audio Window" on my big display. Is it on the display over my yoke?
20240317_103644.jpg
20240317_103649.jpg
20240317_103657.jpg