Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 model s won’t go into gear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently bought a 2014 Tesla model s, it drove and charged fine but had a warning light for steering wheel reduced. One day I charged it fully and parked it than the next day it won’t go into gears as well as new warning showed up. I have replaced the LV battery because it was pretty dead thought that would fix it but it didn’t and looked at the HV battery from service mode it show orange color and sometimes show green. I have attached the code PLEASE somebody help I’m losing my mind.
IMG_2478.jpeg
IMG_2479.jpeg
IMG_2480.jpeg

Under recent alerts pretty much the same codes,

And for te full charge I just wanted to see how many miles I will get on full charge.

Also I installed new 12v battery few hours ago and it’s already drained.. I’m thinking I might have a lose cable or something, even I tried updating the software it wouldn’t let me
IMG_2482.jpeg

Under recent alerts pretty much the same codes,

And for te full charge I just wanted to see how many miles I will get on full charge.

Also I installed new 12v battery few hours ago and it’s already drained.. I’m thinking I might have a lose cable or something, even I tried updating the software it wouldn’t let me View attachment 1035695

Contactors will not engage so 12V isn't being supported at this moment and therefore you can't go into D and car is also preventing the update because of this all.

Can you try removing both connectors from steering rack then reboot and try again?

Reactions: brainhouston
Can you tell me which connectors you are referring too? Thanks
Remove plastic inner frunk covers and then you will see the steering rack

Screenshot_20240405_202620_Chrome.jpg

D008 is talking about shutdown due to high current so guess that error will be gone when those 2 connectors are removed. Not sure if that can trigger f071 so let us know which faults remains

Attachments

• IMG_2488.jpeg
    IMG_2488.jpeg
    448.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2487.jpeg
    IMG_2487.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2486.jpeg
    IMG_2486.jpeg
    523.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2485.jpeg
    IMG_2485.jpeg
    455.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2492.jpeg
    IMG_2492.jpeg
    507.8 KB · Views: 7
As already directed there might be issue with the steering rack. If you have reached to the unit then worth to check if the wires have not been stripped at some section. Here are the explanations of the first section alerts, support’s what @Gtech and @brainhouston have suggested:

View attachment 1036119View attachment 1036120View attachment 1036121View attachment 1036122
I looked everywhere and the only thing I noticed that there was a wire that was loose, the bolt was not screwed all the way in and the wire was just there so I screwed it back on and nothing changed