Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2014 Model S becomes unresponsive (rain & snow)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I just joined the club (even I used to read helpful threads for the last couple of years). I have a 2014 model s 85 with 206k kms, the car becomes unresponsive while driving through rain or snow. Seems like an electrical issue when it happens. Turn signal would work on the outside but no blinking on the inside dashboard, doors won't open, key won't work, I hear a ticking noise along with the doors lights flashing, the car still drives til I stop and turn it off it takes time to reboot. Took it to the Tesla SC 3 times and they can reproduce the issue as per their techs. Upgraded the MCU2 in January 2024 as they thought it could be the issue but no luck, it started again in April (rain) I live in QUEBEC Canada.help please.

any codes in service mode?
i'd start with grounds check n electrical plugs under frunk..
if the car is driving, means HV is working so its gotta be 12v issue, bad connections or something like that...
Currently the car is completely off. I'm trying a hard reset but it's taking time. Yeah, it starts while driving and the only thing noticeable is electronics. The rear dome light is on, the head/tail lights and blinkers work but no longer displaying on the dashboard. The doors do not unlatch/unlock, have to do it manually from the inside front. First time it happened I ended up locking my phone and keys inside the car and a locksmith had to come.

1000098285.jpg

Reactions: KalJoMoS
any codes in service mode?
i'd start with grounds check n electrical plugs under frunk..
if the car is driving, means HV is working so its gotta be 12v issue, bad connections or something like that...
Had the car towed to a Tesla SC and decided to just stay in it til they open as the climate control works via the app... to my surprise, when I activated camp mode from the app, the 2 screens came right back up in camp mode, with 7 active alerts and the key isn't being detected... will send a Picture.

UPDATE/ Slept in the car waiting for the Tesla SC to open. Just woke up and now the car is responsive again and can drive on its own. However there's still 3 codes: GTW_w277, DAS_w009 and THC_0016(HAD this one before while supercharging and ended up replacing the battery chiller). Will move the car around and closer to the SC and go see them. Will update you guys thanks.

Attachments

• 20240413_083559.jpg
    20240413_083559.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240413_083957.jpg
    20240413_083957.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: David Harvey
UPDATE/ The car was supposedly ready for pickup on Monday at 8am. Note from tech said they found corrosion on grounds and had to clean/replace them in the front. Total bill about $360 CAD. I told them that was impossible and asked to look further... they confirmed again the car WAS ready for pickup on Thursday, I went to drop the loaner transfer my stuff, pay etc. Got to the service center and the car was not responsive as soon as I tried unlocking it with the app and took 2 minutes to react, still proceeded with the "pickup"... EXPRESSED MY DESAPPOINTMENT, PAID and went out to drive off, THE CAR COULDN'T DRIVE! "KEY NOT IN VEHICLE", ACTIVATED KEYLESS DRIVING, SAID ACTIVE BUT COULD PUT THE CAR IN GEAR. Went back inside and took the service rep come check, he couldn't start it either. Replaced keyfob battery, linked HIS own phone, NO LUCK. Ended up transferring all my stuff back and leaving with the loaner again.

UPDATE/ Got a call yesterday from the Tesla SC saying that their tech took 3 hours on the car and finally found the issue. Corrosion found on BCM and harnesses... Total estimate $5,775.05 CAD! Which is a shock quite frankly. I reported this issue since January 10 2024 when the car started acting weird, went back 3 times since and they were never able to locate the issue and blamed the MCU at one point... Had to upgrade to MCU2 for about $2,500CAD as the only answer the tech had was "the computer is old"... Paid diagnostic every time I went back and 3 months later it's a corrosion issue, meaning water infiltration... What should I do? I think they misdiagnosed the issue from the beginning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240420_093657_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420_093657_Tesla.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20240420_094116_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420_094116_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 3
Is there a solution to this corrosion issue on early Model S? Would cleaning all corrosion on the BCM and connectors solve the issue as the unit didn't actually FAIL? It seems like Tesla copied Mercedes-Benz on the MS to the point where they didn't even correct a common water infiltration issue Mercedes-Benz had from their early 2010s... even still put the BCM on the lower passenger side like Mercedes-Benz... SMH... I'm thinking have them, drying, cleaning corrosion and remount everything(BCM+Harness)as they came, before going the replacement route as it didn't TOTALLY FAIL. Has this ever happened to anyone here? what do you think? any advice on this guys? Thank you for you help.