Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My on going battle regarding my purchase of a used 2013 Model S P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bear with me as I describe my migraine headache with a fairly recent purchase of an 11 year old 2013 Tesla Model S, P85+.

I was brand new to Tesla 9 months ago when I purchased a used 2013 Model S, P85+ with low miles on it from a Mom & Pop car dealership here in So Cal. As usual my sales person said what most say when you're looking at buying any used car. "Its great, it has low mileage, its a great price," etc... But wait, he said, "we replaced the motor recently with a Standard motor." My response was "Great you say you replaced the motor, that's awesome." "Yes", was his response. "We put a standard motor in this P85+."

Being absolutely new to Tesla that meant nothing to me. Fast forward 2 days later and I purchased the car. Of course I eventually noticed that my dashboard and 17" screen never showed P85+, it showed S85. The VIN# on my Tesla App says that I own a P85+. Carfax shows that I own a P85+. Even Tesla headquarters confirms that the car is a P85+. Every detail on my car, including the badging shows that this car is a P85+ however both screens on my dashboard show that its a S85.

My unfortunate dilemma is when I attempt to sell the car sometime in the future, what model is this car? Is it simply a P85+ with a Standard motor? That's like pulling a V8 out of a sports car and replacing it with a V6, right? Confusing at best.

I'm not blaming the dealership but it would have been nice if they actually took the time to truly explain how significant swapping the motor out of a P85+ with a Standard S85 motor truly was. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have purchased the car. BTW, the dealership is out of business and my insurance company is billing me for a P85+.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Try not to kick a man to hard when he's down, I just need some help getting back up, thanks. I attached recent pictures to this thread.

Attachments

• 2013 Model S P85+.jpg
    2013 Model S P85+.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 8
  • 2013 Model S P85+ front.jpg
    2013 Model S P85+ front.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2013 Tsla Model S P85+ Dash.jpg
    2013 Tsla Model S P85+ Dash.jpg
    377.1 KB · Views: 6
it is a 2013. 11 year old car. Who cares if the motor is not as powerful. If it works just drive it until it breaks. The car is worth what? $10K? You may run into a major repair soon and scrap it.
Most ppl care, VIN/title needs to match what the actual car is lol
This is not like ICE engine that just got weak over time due to wear..
Like others mentioned, its like getting BMW "M" without the "M" engine...

If the downgrades are disclosed then yeah, diff story.

Upvote 0

The title still matches, (or at least a Michigan title would) it would just show the VIN and list the car as a Tesla Model S Station Wagon in any case. The trim level isn't on the title at all.

Upvote 0
The title still matches, (or at least a Michigan title would) it would just show the VIN and list the car as a Tesla Model S Station Wagon in any case. The trim level isn't on the title at all.
Not what i meant
VIN/Title are for P85+ and the car is S85
Yes Tesla does not include those details into VIN/title (and HV pack) which makes it harder for 2nd hand shopping..

Upvote 0
Do the seats have a different color piping on the edges? That's a sign that the car is a Performance model. Are the wheels staggered? That was what they did with the + model. I'm suspicious of the dealer saying "we put a standard motor in it"...Most dealers wouldn't know how to do that. And even if they did know how to do it, they most certainly wouldn't know how to "downgrade" the image/logo on the screen...

Call me crazy, but I would take the car into a Tesla service center and just ask them about it. See what they say...

Upvote 0

the seller told OP the motor was swapped with the "standard motor". Just unfortunate that OP did not really understand what it meant. I probably wouldn't either. But my point is, this car is an 11 year old beater. not the $120K MSRP Model S it once was. Well, maybe the repair bill will reflect that once glory $120K price.

Upvote 0
the seller told OP the motor was swapped with the "standard motor". Just unfortunate that OP did not really understand what it meant. I probably wouldn't either. But my point is, this car is an 11 year old beater. not the $120K MSRP Model S it once was. Well, maybe the repair bill will reflect that once glory $120K price.
totally agree, i was just pointing out that ppl care
if u try to sell a modified car, esp downgraded ones, u'll see a lot less interest in it, which means ppl care...

Upvote 0
totally agree, i was just pointing out that ppl care
if u try to sell a modified car, esp downgraded ones, u'll see a lot less interest in it, which means ppl care...

I think most of these 11 year old model S buyers are only looking for the "show". Want to be viewed as someone driving a $100K car. Whether the motor inside is as small as bicycle probably does not matter as much.

This 2013 Model S does bring back memories. There was one dude I know that bought the model S back in 2013. The unicorn on the street. Dude traded in Porsche 911 turbo for the Tesla. The cool kid on the block. Everyone was curious. Now EV is just so common.

Reactions: zroger73
Upvote 0